PDA

View Full Version : Michael Morcombe eGuide to Birds of Australia for iPhone

Michaela
07-12-2010, 11:30pm
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I thought some of the birders (if they don't already know about it) might be interested in the Australian Birds app for iPhone. I found it while searching for recordings of bird calls and, although a bit pricey, it seems to have good info and includes bird calls, usually several for each species.

Does anyone else use it and, if so, what do you think of it? Have you found it useful? I can't see it completely replacing my field guide, but it would be the guide that's always with me, at least. :)

Michaela
08-12-2010, 12:09pm
I went ahead and got it yesterday and after a quick look through I'm very happy with it - it's packed full of information. You can even do an "it looks like a ... " search if you need an ID, which I can see coming in very useful for someone like me! :D I love the bird calls, too. :)

Allann
08-12-2010, 3:04pm
I just bought it too, keep leaving my book at home. There is a lot to be said for having it on the iPhone, worth it if only for the bird calls, over 1800 come with the app.
Layout and Ux (user experience) is quite slick too, even though it says that Superb Fairy-wrens don't usually appear in SE Qld! "Smart Search" is a little like Birds in the Backyard website and seems quite powerful; tip: I'd leave your location as Australia.

ricktas
08-12-2010, 3:22pm
I just got a copy as well, Went out on the deck and played the superb fairy wren sound, and almost instantly had the local wren family over for an inquisitive look see. Might have to get the camera out if it stops drizzling here. Very well laid out application.

mrDooba
08-12-2010, 5:50pm
Thanks heaps for sharing this, Michaela!!!! I will buy it straight away!!! Would be great for when I'm out and need(want) to describe a bird for someone. No one I know will ever bring up the subject again:D

mrDooba
08-12-2010, 5:52pm
On a side note. Please use playback with caution :xmas:

DAdeGroot
08-12-2010, 9:39pm
I've been hanging out for something like this for ages! Even thought about producing one myself. I think I might splurge and treat myself to a copy :)

Art Vandelay
08-12-2010, 10:42pm
ok, you guys have me sold. :D

Off to download it now.

CherylB
09-12-2010, 8:04pm
This sounds like a really useful app for someone who doesn't know the difference between a seagull and a pigeon (well, barely!).

All I need now is a phone to put it on! :D (mine's very 'low-tech' compared to the iphone!)

mrDooba
09-12-2010, 8:24pm
Woohoo got mine last night..... Very cool:D

Shelley
10-12-2010, 12:02am
jeez, why did I open this thread - I so want an iphone and hubby says I have to wait until next year (i tend to lose me phone :o) - my plan runs out April I think - and then I can get what I want (in theory).

This sounds real interesting - thanks Michaela and good to hear all the comments re: the application.

robertmarkbram
15-12-2010, 12:20pm
It is the most expensive app I have ever seen for the iPhone at $37, but I bought it... To be honest I do not consider myself a bird watcher, but I am enthralled to think I can use it to try a bit of spotting and identify the bird by species. I have taken dozens of flower shots and I wish I could identify them too.

la lumiere
15-12-2010, 12:32pm
Yeah it's awesome.
I found it after looking at Richard's sticky re field guides. When I googled the Morcombe field guide it was the first item to come up so I thought that was what Rchard was talking about. I don't have an iphone but a friend was interested and downloaded it. So I've had a good play. Love the bird calls. I will still buy the book tho' and if I ever update my phone or buy an iPad I'll buy the app.

MarkChap
15-12-2010, 12:43pm
Guess I will have to wait,
Just looked at the site and he says that the version for Android should be available early 2011

Michaela
15-12-2010, 2:05pm
It is the most expensive app I have ever seen for the iPhone at $37
I know of at least one app, for GPS navigation, that's quite a bit more expensive at $89.99! :eek:

seastorm
20-12-2010, 7:08pm
I'm grabbing this now. Since Harvey Norman has a 2 x $20 iTunes card for $30 this week until 24/12, it's actually going to cost sliightly less than the $36.99 price :)

bluediscusau
06-01-2011, 9:04am
I am waiting for this to come out for Android phones or tablets. Can't wait.

MarkChap
14-07-2011, 7:28pm
Not sure just when it became available, BUT this IS now available for Android, find it on the Market, bought my copy yesterday