PDA

View Full Version : Third Party speedlite for 50D?

mwphoto
07-12-2010, 1:54am
I am a complete flash noobie looking at buying a Speedlite 430EX II or 580EX II for my 50D. I am mostly expecting to use it for fill flash for outdoor/low light portraits, I've always preferred natural light photography and I am unlikely to want to do huge amounts of studio work.

I'm cautious about shelling out for a 580EXII which I potentially might only use a couple of times a year...but I also know that I should never say I will 'never' do something so don't want to regret getting just a 430EX II and need to upgrade equipment after a few months:D

I was asked to do the photos for my daughters graduation ball in a few weeks but declined as I don't have the equipment/experience. However I live in a small town and could get the gig - and potentially other similar things - every year if I decide to go down that track.

So after reading through speedlights.net I am wondering if Yongnuo YN-560 is a viable and logical option for me to test the water? I would probably buy a second one as a backup (couldn't afford to buy two genuine speedlites). Seems like I could get a few extra things for a cost of a genuine canon, which I could always upgrade to later if I enjoy it and decide to pursue that market.

Do others have any experiences with Yongnuo (or other third party brands) good or bad?

MarkChap
07-12-2010, 6:41am
G'day Michelle,
I can't help much with the Yongnuo flashes, no first hand experience, but I hear good things about them.

Another option, though not as cheap as the Yongnuo's, would be the new Sigma that is out, the EF 610 DG
The EF 610 DG Super, would be the equivalent to the 580 EX in function, will act as both a master and slave in the Canon wireless off camera flash system and of course full E-TTL on camera, manual control etc, with a price that should be a bit less than the 430EX II
The EF 610 DG ST, will work on camera in full E-TTL, has limited manual control and does not link in with the Canon wireless off camera flash, but will be considerably cheaper than even the 430EXII
The

OzzieTraveller
07-12-2010, 7:06am
G'day Michelle

As Mark ^ says, the Y gets good reports [and I'm sure other APers will reply soon]
I use a Sigma and it 'goes good' for me
As well as above, people like Metz also make a compatible 3rd party flash, so you've got several to look at

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

LJG
07-12-2010, 7:18am
Michelle, my first flash was 3rd party, a Nissin Di622. I used it rarely and never really thought of upgrading because of that reason. Then I got the bug and decided to upgrade. I was going to go with a Canon 430ex, but bit the bullet and went with a new Canon 580exII. That flash is so good I have used it more in the 2 months I've had it than I used the Nissin in nearly a year. I reckon it is one of my better choices. Yes, they are dearer but the extra dollars are certainly warranted. Just the screen on the rear for settings and the wheel adjustment is worth the extra I reckon.

PH005
07-12-2010, 8:29am
I agree with LJG. Save a little longer and go the 430-580. You wont regret it.

JM Tran
07-12-2010, 8:40am
If you are really on a budget, the Yongnuo YN468 is a full TTL flash - same power and specs as a Canon 430EXII - with optical slave functions and can be had for under 70 dollars on ebay - very reliable flash with decent build

I have one for assistants to use in times of need

Tatts
07-12-2010, 10:45am
If you are really on a budget, the Yongnuo YN468 is a full TTL flash - same power and specs as a Canon 430EXII - with optical slave functions and can be had for under 70 dollars on ebay - very reliable flash with decent build

I have one for assistants to use in times of need

i looked a few months ago and they were $130ish. they've come down in price quickly.
For $70 you could grab one and see what you think, if you don't like it sell it for $50.

JM Tran
07-12-2010, 10:51am
i looked a few months ago and they were $130ish. they've come down in price quickly.
For $70 you could grab one and see what you think, if you don't like it sell it for $50.

sorry I forgot to mention that I bought a stack of Yongnuo stuff direct from China - thats the average price for it over there and on ebay - but via Aus importers it is ridiculously over-priced by mark up- ala $190 for a Yongnuo YN560 when it costed me $80 each, or $120 for a Yongnuo SF17 battery pack when it was only $35 for me.

Hope that clears up any pricing confusion - Ebay is the way to go to save a lot of money by buying through reputable sellers.

mwphoto
07-12-2010, 11:11am
This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, thanks guys! I think it may have been the YN468 I was comparing too (thats the top of the line one?) Having never considered buying one, I just figured if I ever did it would be a Canon...but if there is something of decent quality that does pretty much the same thing, I'd be very keen to put the extra $ towards another lens (I use my 70-200mm2.8L for pretty much everything and only have a 50mm nifty:)

The Sigma EF 610 DG Super might be a suitable compromise, I can't find it online is it not available in Australia yet? Looks like its about $260AU plus $60 for priority shipping from the US (or a bit less from ebay imported from HK). Not ready to buy just yet luckily, so will wait to see what others have to say that have used the YN.

mwphoto
07-12-2010, 11:14am
LOL well what I was thinking with the YN being so cheap, its not a great loss if I don't use it much, but if I find I need something better, its still a good back up to have.

Gah! I'm a Libran and I really hate making decisions!

MarkChap
07-12-2010, 11:43am
Michelle, the Sigma EF610DG Super (canon) is available in Australia right now, they should retail here, with a 2 year CR Kennedy warranty, at about mid $300's

For anyone else reading this the
EF610DG Super - Nikon and Pentax will be available mid to late December 2010
EF610DG ST - All brands will be available around mid February 2011 and should probably retail for around the mid to high $200's