PDA

View Full Version : Remote Shutter release?

mwphoto
07-12-2010, 12:30am
I'm looking to buy a remote shutter release for my 50D but know nothing about them and would love some advice please:)

Looking on ebay there are a ton of non-genuine cordless and wireless remotes to choose from at ridiculously low prices - like only a couple of dollars (in researching I have even found instructions on how to adapt a hand free phone kit for the purpose).

The first question I have is is it possible for these non-genuine devices to damage or short circuit the camera?

Secondly is there any benefit to wireless over one with a cord, and are there other functions that different models control other than just the shutter release?

Thanks!

Speedway
07-12-2010, 12:43am
I have been using a non genuine cable remote on my 400D for a few years and a wireless remote on my 7d with no problems. Both these have the same features as the genuine ones. there is also one available that is programmable to take multiple timed shots. With wireless you can operate the camera without the restraints of a cable connection.
Keith.

hakka
07-12-2010, 6:17am
I got a cheapo (nikon copy), the plug was way too tight. Everytime I unplugged it i thought it would damage the socket.

I also got one of the 'aputure' programmable timer release from ebay (around $20). This is a very high quality piece of gear, highly reccommended.

jim
07-12-2010, 7:02am
http://www.phottix.com/

Excellent cheap remote releases, wireless releases and other stuff.

Thomp
07-12-2010, 7:23am
there are a few third party remotes that are quite popular like yonguo ( works as both flash trigger and wireless remote). If you want to go wireless I don't think there's many options for a genuine canon remote unless you feel like spending a fair bit.

Astroman
07-12-2010, 7:43am
I got a Micnova TC-3 from Photographic Wholesalers which is the same as the Canon timer remote but only cost me $160, I tried the ones off ebay but had too many problems with it and in the end the company I dealt with weren't being very helpful so watch out if you get one off ebay, most are good, but it's a pain to get them fixed properly if they don't work. So far been extremely happy with mine.

silkdiver
07-12-2010, 7:48am
Last week I received a cordless remote for my 50D, it can be used cordless or "corded". The remote will also trigger flashes (if wanted) I used it for my 1st fireworks attempt on the weekend, it worked fine. A bit dearer than some at $30 but has a choice of 16 frequencies incase there are other cordless remotes around.
If you google this: 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger RF-602 F CANON R3K it will show up.

Gemini2261
07-12-2010, 8:35am
I got a non gen cable release & it works fine for a fraction of the Canon genuine article & it looks the same as the Canon gen.

dbax
07-12-2010, 8:37am
Hi Michelle,
I recently bought a cable release for my 40D from site sponsor http://www.phottixstore.com/phottixstore/wired-remotes.html works a treat, I got the one thats has an interval timer as well for star trails/ time lapse etc . I think if I was going down the portrait/model shoot road I'd probably have looked more closely at the wireless system as I think it might give more scope for interacting with the subject without being near the camera.
my 2c

rwg717
07-12-2010, 9:37pm
I think Photix are still a sponsor of AP, their wire remote release is just fine for 50D, 7D and 5D and never had a problem with them:xmas31:
Richard

Bercy
09-12-2010, 11:48am
I did get teh genuine article and it works awfully well with my 40D - ....Duh - that's what one gets with original gear. Most other things introduces a risk of premature device failure some where along the track. Depends on how mission critical your work is.

davearnold
09-12-2010, 6:32pm
I have bought (I think 5 now) wireless remotes for myself and friends off ebay, all were approx $10 each ( including postage :) ), and all are still working fine, the oldest one is nearly a year old now.

Roosta
09-12-2010, 7:48pm
Hi, have the same as Astroman on my 50D and it works a treat, got mine for $99 in WA, depends on whether you want radio or wire remote control really, flash slave modes and so forth.