PDA

View Full Version : Camera Shoulder Strap R/V

Gemini2261
06-12-2010, 9:07pm
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread but I thought I would do a bit of a R/V of a camera strap that I have been road testing.

If you are budget conscience & prefer to spend your money on quality glass you may be interested in this strap.

There are some R/V's of the BlackRapid strap & they look very good at a price.

I did a bit of research & managed to purchase a strap that does the same job & possibly better for less than $20 (got to love the Chinese!)

I have the base plate of this strap ensemble screwed into the collar of my Canon 100-400mm L this connects very securely by way of a strong clip to the shoulder harness. The shoulder harness is very comfortable & nicely padded with that airflow stuff & has a small pocket for a key, battery or cards (can't fit much in that). I have been walking through the bush with that setup over the past week with no problems or loosening of the screw plate.

The screw plate has a thread in it so you can screw in your tripod plate direct & that works well too. You can also attach a hand strap to the side of the camera with this set up if you want making it very versatile.

I have used it with my Lowpro 200 on my back as well & there is no problem with the straps function.

I can recommend it for those who have spinal problems & pain management issues (as I have) it has been WAY better & WAY more comfortable getting around doing photography. I couldn't go on with the ordinary neck strap, a few hours of shooting was taking me more than a week to get over :(

The only weakness I can see with the set up is that possibly the plastic bumper clip stopping the camera from sliding right back may break. It seems to be secure but MAY be vulnerable. I figured if it does go I am sure I can rig up an improvised bumper anyhow. The trick is not to fiddle around with it - set & forget.

Here is a link to the strap (http://cgi.ebay.com/SLR-DSLR-QUICK-Shoulder-Neck-Camera-Sling-Strap-Belt-NW-/120619353057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c157943e1#ht_3990wt_862://) so you can see what it looks like & the base plate etc...

colinbm
06-12-2010, 9:50pm
Thanks Gemini2261
They have a 2nd version now too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2nd-Edition-NEW-Black-Quick-Rapid-Camera-Sling-Strap_W0QQitemZ320615999371QQcategoryZ64343QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D54551406653 91510642
I think I like #1 as it can be used on either side, where #2 maybe right sided ?
Cheers
Col

Gemini2261
07-12-2010, 12:20am
Thanks Gemini2261
They have a 2nd version now too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2nd-Edition-NEW-Black-Quick-Rapid-Camera-Sling-Strap_W0QQitemZ320615999371QQcategoryZ64343QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D54551406653 91510642
I think I like #1 as it can be used on either side, where #2 maybe right sided ?
Cheers
Col

Ah, yes mine is the #2 version...with the curvy shoulder strap. I just tried it on the left side...no problem because the strap has a curve in it the fit is good.

From memory there is a double wammy joby too ...for 2 camera's. Incredibly good value these straps.

I read somewhere they weight rated it at 1kg. Mine set up is way more than 1 kg & it is very secure indeed I can't see the strap or fittings breaking at all.

Tatts
07-12-2010, 11:06am
Looks really good. Might have to add this one to my letter to Santa :xmas31:

I read somewhere they weight rated it at 1kg. Mine set up is way more than 1 kg & it is very secure indeed I can't see the strap or fittings breaking at all.
That's probably be so that they don't have to refund you if it breaks, you'd be hard pressed to have a dslr and lens under 1kg.

Tatts
03-01-2011, 12:43pm
I just bought one of these from ebay, should be here in 25-35 days :)

Scotty72
03-01-2011, 4:09pm
I have the Black Rapid.

However, I've often thought about a 2nd one to carry around the big lenses but, thought it was a bit $$$.

So, I'm glad you showed me a cheaper option :) Just ordered a 2nd gen one.

Scotty

bobt
03-01-2011, 4:26pm
Thanks for this ... I always wanted one but wouldn't pay the price! You should be on commission by now!! :)

Julie
05-01-2011, 2:47am
I've just ordered one for a pregnant photographer friend, should arrive in time for a wedding shoot we're doing together, she'll be 8½ months then so it'll be a good road test for the strap LOL

Tatts
09-02-2011, 12:15pm
Has anyone received their's yet?
It's been 27 business days since i purchased it and it hasn't arrived. I'm going away on the 21st so hoping it will be here soon.

bobt
09-02-2011, 12:49pm
Has anyone received their's yet?
It's been 27 business days since i purchased it and it hasn't arrived. I'm going away on the 21st so hoping it will be here soon.

Yup .... got mine ages ago - no problem.

Tatts
09-02-2011, 2:37pm
Hmmm, i'm starting to suspect i'm not going to receive it any time soon.
Will have to contact the seller. Thanks.

Tatts
09-02-2011, 6:56pm
The missus ordered this for me, turns out that she only updated her contact address, but not her mailing address, so it was sent to the wrong address. Bugger.

bobt
10-02-2011, 2:49pm
The missus ordered this for me, turns out that she only updated her contact address, but not her mailing address, so it was sent to the wrong address. Bugger.

Oh well ... at least the reputation of the supplier is intact! It's a good deal this one, and although I haven't had cause to use it I'm very glad to have found it at such a low price. Hope you get yours eventually!

Scotty72
10-02-2011, 3:28pm
Bugger about the mix-up. Mine only took 3-4 days. :)

Namus
10-02-2011, 4:20pm
Firstly, thanks for the review :th3:

Can anyone else who has bought this (other than the OP) please comment on the quality of the product after a bit of use? I'm tossing up whether to go with one of these or fork out for the real deal (BR-RS7).

Tatts
11-02-2011, 9:24am
We went and visited the old address and the lady living there told us that she had received a parcel pick up notice ages ago but couldn't find it now. We also emailed the seller and he wrote back last night saying that there was in fact a tracking number so i rang the post office a few minutes ago and they were able to locate the parcel. Turns out it is due to be 'returned to sender' today, but they will hold it so long as we pick it up today.
*fingers crossed* it will still be there this afternoon after work and i will be able to report back that i have received it and let Namus (and everone else) know what i think of it.
Great way to start a friday morning :D

Tatts
18-02-2011, 11:18am
I've used the strap a few times now and finding it awesome. Makes it a little bit difficult to use the battery grip in portrait but can work around that. It is soooo much better than the original Canon strap.