PDA

View Full Version : Decision time ?

paul obrien
05-12-2010, 3:43am
Gooday guys after reading all the posts etc and a million reviews we will bite the bullet and buy a canon 70-200 2.8 is 2. Id like to thank everyone that responded to my thread titled lost and confused.After disussing the issue with wifey(no surprise from santa now) i decided i rather get her the lens she wants it will definately bust the bank but i think it will be worth it in the long run.
Some questions i wish to ask with the dollar as it is do i purchase the lens from the states if so how long does delivery take? Is there any hidden costs taxes etc ? and are places like b@h, Adorama etc good to deal with? or is it too big a risk should i just purchase it here. They have it advertised for $2069 us, here the cheapest price i found was $2945. Lastly will it be covered by warranty by canon australia any help will be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

paul

Mark L
05-12-2010, 8:57pm
G'day Paul,
My understanding is that:-
a) Anything imported over $1000 in value will probably attract G.S.T. and,
b) Canon offer a 12 month international warrenty on lenses.

I've decided to buy a Canon d550 and they don't offer internation warrenty on DSLR's, which is a problem for me. Living in regional N.S.W. I'm unable to get a competitive price, and I don't vist Sydney at all.( I might have to) However, there seems to be some long standing vendors on the internet that have good prices. Aust. warrenty or not ?
That's my problem , not your's. Good luck with your lens.

Cadnium
05-12-2010, 10:25pm
Paul,

I have been looking into the same thing and my rough guess is as follows:
$US 2,069 - lens
$US 70 - shipping
/0.97 = $2205 AUD
--------------------
Customs charges - $50
GST - $225

TOTAL ~$2, 480 shipped to your door.

When I asked around, there was a local store who would do it for $2,499 so it wasn't worth it.

paul obrien
06-12-2010, 3:21pm
Thanks for responding could u tell me the store you are getting the lens for at that price as it may give me some leverage in sydney

cheers Paul

dulvariprestige
07-12-2010, 5:20pm
you can get it from DWI for $2,182 delivered, I've bought a couple of things from them and have been very pleased with their service.

paul obrien
07-12-2010, 5:42pm
:xmas31:Thanks Jayde i ended up ordering one from sydney off a legitimate canon distributer with a hoya circular polariser lens delivered to my door via air freight fully insured for $2900. i was told that i would have 2 pay gst + a fee to customs etc if i got it from the states and it couldnt be garanteed id have it by xmas.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.
Paul