PDA

View Full Version : 60D Purchase

Monster
04-12-2010, 3:48pm
Well, I am after advice as to whether I have made an error. I pined for a 5D MKII, but not caring about video and not being able to justify the expense, I had settled on the 7D.

I spoke to the salesman over the phone, got my head in the place where I was right to buy it and then turned up this morning to collect my shiny new 7D.

Oops, out of stock. Talked to the sales guy for about 40 mins and walked out with a 60D.... here is my question -

I mostly take nature shots (birds, wildlife etc) while bushwalking. Don’t want/need video functionality as I have a HD video camera for that. I don’t do much in the way of portraits, other than the odd family shot camping. Don’t do any real sporting photography.

Have I cut my throat with settling for the 60D?

Please bear in mind that I have a fairly limited budget (can afford the 7D if there are valid reasons for it). My past camera was a Pentax 35mm (which I have been too busy to use for the last two years).

I have a 14 day period where I can return the camera and change it for the 7D if there are compelling reasons for doing so, however did plan to put the savings towards some nice glass in the future.

Looking forward to all comments.

Thanks in advance.

en1gma
04-12-2010, 5:37pm
IMO, if you are taking mostly birds, or moving nature subjects, the extra fps from the 7d may of been a worthwhile purchase. You would benefit from having a higher ratio of in focus shots. If the subjects are still. The 60d is a lovely camera

the 60d is what I own, but most of my shots are portrait so I saved difference and picked up some good glass.

ameerat42
04-12-2010, 6:43pm
Geez! A bit of a tough call on the spot, I suppose, but my biggest problem with your story is that you had to make a compromise twice. Now I don't have any of the cameras you mention, but I have read extensively about them (not only but mostly) on DP Review. For birding - is that what you mean? - I would suspect that the 7D would have the speed advantage over the 5D-2 and certainly over the 60D. But what you pay for in the 7D over the 60 D is the dual processors. (Sure, the flip-out screen is nice in the 60D, but...)

I don't understand the video problem. All of the models are HD to 1080P capable.

Have you done a side-by-side comparison? In the cooling-off time you have it may help you to decide. Go to the DP Review Canon section (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/) and suss them out. There's an In-depth review on each of the models you mentioned.

Hope this helps a little. Am.

Monster
04-12-2010, 10:48pm
Thanks for the responses. I took the 60D out this afternoon and did a bit of a field test. Initially I didn't think the extra fps would matter too much, as the 60D is higher than the 5d MKII anyway. Will play over the next week and see how I feel. Starting to feel that there may be an advantage with the extra fps of the 7D. Also wondered about the long term stability compared with the 7D alluminium body.

Is there any issue with the 60D 96% frame coverage compared to the 7D's 100%?

re the twice-over compramise, the 5d MkII was never really going to be a realistic purchase anyway, and with the lower fps, it would not suit the type of photography I think I want to do anyway. So really, the question is, did I lose anything that I have not considered by going to the 60D v's the 7D?

So far, the only difference I can see is the number of AF points on the 7d as well as the faster shutter speed. If this is the biggest difference, then I think I could be happy with the 60D.

For some reason, I just worry that I am missing something that will make itself apparent in about 15-16 days!

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. Love the site!

unistudent1962
05-12-2010, 10:13am
I mostly take nature shots (birds, wildlife etc) while bushwalking. Don’t want/need video functionality as I have a HD video camera for that. I don’t do much in the way of portraits, other than the odd family shot camping. Don’t do any real sporting photography.

Doesn't sound as though the OP is talking about "birding" as such, more along the lines of general nature shots, so I'd think there'd need to be other reasons beyond the higher fps rate to justify the cost of the 7D over the 60D.

What lenses have you got / are you likely to get to suit your style of photography?

Monster
05-12-2010, 10:54pm
unistudent1962, yep, you are correct regarding the type of photography that I will be doing. I think I will see a huge performace over my last camera, even with the 60D. Until now I have used a Pentax SF7 (yes, thats right, an old 35mm film camera).

The strangest thing was that the young salesman asked me how many photos I would normally take on a normal outing during bushwalks. He was trying to determine the size of memory card I would require. I answered, well, I used to take 4 to 5 rolls with 36 exposures on each... to which he looked at me and said "WOW, I have never taken a photo with a film camera!" .... I may be 40, but boy did I feel old. Enjoyed telling him about the joy of processing my own film and exposing my own photographs.... looks like photography has a whole heap of new joys ahead for me now with the new digital.

I have the 60D and got a broad range lens to kick off with... got the Canon EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens.... next will be a good macro lens once I get to know the new camera.

Thanks again for the thoughts/input everyone!

Bennymiata
22-12-2010, 6:11pm
I was in a similar postion, in that I had a tough choice between the new 60D and the 7D, and I ended up buying the 60D, and couldn't be happier.
It's a little smaller, a little lighter and the plastic body won't dent and scratch nearly as easily as a metal body would.

Ultimate photo quality is exactly the same between the 7D and 60D and the flip out screen is wonderful if you are doing macro or handheld wireless flash, so you can see the screen while being in front of the camera.
Oh, and the screen is wonderful, bright and clear and is a step up from the 7D's screen.

I too have a very nice Sony HD video camera (that uses tape), and I reckon the quality of video from the 60D is superior!
Start using the 60D and you wouldn't trade it for anythig else.

MrBling
29-12-2010, 10:09pm
It's a tough call. If you've tried the 60D and are happy with it, then stick with it.

Personally, i'd stick with the 60D if finances were stretched. The 7D is a bit better, but it's a lot more expensive.

feral1
31-12-2010, 1:07am
I know your delema, but, ............ I am hoping all goes well in early 2011, so as I can buy my 7d but if it does not, I will be happy with a 60d + new lens.
Both are simular Cameras as in 18 pixs, yes the 7d has 2 processors, more focus points slightly faster SS (frame rate).
The 60d has the swivel screen still an 18 pixs and about a 5 frame rate, just alone the swivel screen is a huge bonus to most people for angles and macro etc.

In my view, you will not miss a great deal from the 7d, I have seen what the 550d producess and used it, the 60d should be a lot better.

Food for thought.

Peter

Rosh
01-01-2011, 8:10am
I own the 60D and love it. It is up to you what suits your style of photography. I love the rotating screen for self portraits and shots of different angles. If you are more into nature ect go the 7d fps is better.

Monster
08-01-2011, 12:24pm
Well, it’s been a month and I have kept the 60D. I did have the option of returning it for the 7D within 2 weeks, but decided that I was happy with the 60D, given the price difference.

It could be that I am so happy given the low base that I came from (the old 35mm, Pentax SF7 that is sitting dejectedly on my side desk), but the 60D I am just loving. For my entry into digital I could not be happier (unless money was no objet, then there may have been some changes).

Anyway, have taken a few nice shots (IMO) and look forward to uploading some of them here.

Thanks again for the advice. Love the webpage… it just keeps my challenged to become a better photographer