01-12-2010, 10:31pm
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10057-11067

Geez I hope we get offered this.

Arg
01-12-2010, 10:34pm
:Doh:

philiph
02-12-2010, 5:01pm
Has it been an issue? I have never had a problem with it moving by itself only when it doesn't move because I forget to move it!

Kym
02-12-2010, 6:18pm
http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2010/12/canon-replacing-mode-dial-with-new.html :D Finally catching up :santa:

infl3xion
02-12-2010, 6:52pm
Hmm, interesting, never had an issue at all.

It's a $100 button after all :p

Art Vandelay
02-12-2010, 7:50pm
I wouldn't want that.

Much prefer just to flick through with my thumb without a seperate pressing as well. I've set up the custom user settings with c2 for stationary birds, animals etc, then can flick to c3 in an instant for my BIF optimised settings, usually while my eye is still in the view finder. C3 being the last one is hard to muck up when urgent no matter what mode I'm in, it's just all the way round to the end :D

Never had a problem. Hope they dont start putting that as standard.

rwg717
02-12-2010, 9:57pm
All the manufacturers should be putting these locks on for free, really irritating on Canon, Nikon and Pentax, they all move if you brush something with the unit over your shoulder!:angry0:
Richard

JM Tran
02-12-2010, 10:22pm
would love to have this feature - all too often during work my cameras would get bumped and change the settings, and when i grab it for a quick snapshot its not on the right mode

PaulMac
02-12-2010, 11:15pm
Got to admit when I'm flat out in a wedding with my 2 5D's that there's the odd time I've brushed on something and flicked onto something else.

etherial
03-12-2010, 8:08am
I've never had an issue with the mode dial changing, and need to be able to change it quickly as I flick between custom functions a lot at events so this feature is something I wouldn't want.

My hassle is the battery grip controls, I'll often accidental change a setting due to the wheel on there when it is hanging just the wrong way at my side on the R-strap. Have to get in the habit of turning it of all the time.

Arg
03-12-2010, 8:22am
One of those things where you learn to live with what you've got either way. Interesting that Canon has offered the option, I can't figure if they see it as an upgrade or just an option.

Xenedis
05-12-2010, 10:31am
Just noticed an article on dpreview.com re the same issue:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1012/10120102canonmodedial5dmkii7d.asp

It sounds interesting, but I cannot say accidental mode changes have ever been a problem for me, nor have I wished for an ability to physically lock the dial.

I cannot see myself paying whatever ridiculous price will be charged in Australia for the upgrade; it'll be an expensive solution to a problem I don't have.

DAdeGroot
05-12-2010, 10:37am
I can see that it'd be useful as it's bitten me before (and having no dial on the 1D is fantastic really). Not sure I'd be bothered to retrofit it to the 5DII though.

Scotty72
05-12-2010, 1:05pm
Occassionally it moves when the camera has been dangling on the strap and it's brushed up against my waist. However, it never bothers me, at most it has taken me a few seconds to work out why a can't adjust the apperture ('cause it's moved onto that mode) etc.

Not worth either the $100 + or the time without my camera.

Scotty

agb
05-12-2010, 7:28pm
Happened to me yesterday during the Kill Bill shoot. Suddenly I was on Bulb, and for a while could not work out what had happened. Thanks Allan!! First time for everything and from now on its just one more thing to think about.But I don't think that I will fork out for it.

mal from cessnock
26-02-2011, 11:44pm
It's a real problem for me - crawling around on stage, I tend to get pretty physical, but I often bump the Mode Dial which causes delays and screws with me.
Has anyone heard if the fix (which should be free) is yet available in Australia?

zolaxi
27-02-2011, 3:42pm
The Mode Dial on the 5D2 is the biggest irritant with this camera. I shoot weddings together with a 1D3, and I have to continually monitor what the 5D is doing when I pick it up. With the 1 series cameras it's not possible to knock the mode dial, cause is doesn't have one.

Common Canon. This is about 2 years overdue! Better still, get rid of the mode dial.

Bennymiata
01-03-2011, 11:01am
I have the locking dial on my 60D and I find it very usefull.
Previously, I did move the dial unintentionally many times and because I'm often in a hurry with pictures for work, you sometimes don't realise it until you see the shots on screen, and then it's too late!

Pushing the button and adjusting the dial is no hassle, as you quickly become used to pushing it in with your index finger, while turning it with your thumb and middle finger.
It becomes quite intuative after you've done it a few times.
I believe they are charging around $100 for the fix in the US, and personally, if you don't really need it, I wouldn't pay for it, but i'm glad my camera has it.

jeffde
02-03-2011, 11:13am
My 7D moves mysteriously - but $100 bit rich..

Patagonia
02-03-2011, 11:25am
Had several problems with this in my last trip, trekking through national parks in Costa Rica with slight rain and trying to shoot for animals. I needed to have the camera covered (in a bag) and many times I had only a few moments to catch the subject...lost quite a lot of photos

Is there something similar for Nikon D90?