PDA

View Full Version : whats best....?

warhammer
29-11-2010, 10:57pm
what programs is every one using on mac's...?
whats the good and bad points of the one your using...?
what should i buy....?

ricktas
30-11-2010, 6:05am
Are you asking about post processing (photo editing) software, or software in general?

warhammer
30-11-2010, 11:26am
post processing software..

soulman
30-11-2010, 1:19pm
On the Mac you have Aperture & Lightroom, both specifically designed for photographers, as well as heaps of image editing programs from GraphicConverter through to Photoshop. Aperture & Lightroom both offer trial versions and are quite sophisticated cataloguing and image manipulation tools now. I like Lightroom & hardly ever use Photoshop anymore. I have CS3 but will probably not upgrade in the near future. Aperture never really did it for me, but plenty of people like it.

Various discussions on this topic have been had here and there is a lot of info about the options already on the web generally. A bit of time with the search function here and Google otherwise will get you heaps of good info. :)

warhammer
30-11-2010, 3:03pm
thanx soalman for the feedback. is lightroom fairly easy and strait forward to use....?

soulman
30-11-2010, 3:15pm
No worries. The answer to that really depends on how comfortable you are with image editing software at the moment. I found Lightroom difficult at first, but I've spent a lot of time with it now, find it very straightforward and I get good results easily. Any program capable of complex manipulations will take time to learn. Lightroom is not a beginner's program. iPhoto is pretty good and easy to learn I think, but not really capable of sophisticated processing. Power always comes at a price.

warhammer
30-11-2010, 5:19pm
thanx soulman.
i photo is a little too basic. i have used final cut pro for a long time editing film so am fairly familiar with navigating around more difficult software. It sounds like light room is a good program so i might check it out...