PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the 550d?

Brettles
29-11-2010, 9:43am
Essentially, i dont want to spend an arm and a leg to have a 2nd body.
already got a 400d and was trying to keep things in the same family to be able to have good use of accessories between the two bodys...

question i have is where is the best to get the 550d from these days?

bricat
29-11-2010, 10:34am
I would start with our sponsors. I have bought from Digital Review before they became a site sponsor and I must say I was happy with the transaction. No affiliation etc etc etc. cheers Brian

PH005
29-11-2010, 10:57am
DWI has 550D body for $716 + postage, about $35. They are fast and very professional.

Roosta
29-11-2010, 11:46am
There are several site sponsors that are easy to reach via email and or drop a question/thread on the link under forum "site sponsors", much like the question you have here, under Canon forum.

You may be plesantly suprised at your response, wouldn't no too many business's not want to sell your a body.

Happy hunting.

Brettles
29-11-2010, 6:15pm
well dare i ask what would be a better choice?
i have a 400d now that i am going to keep... should i get a 550d or a 50 to accompany?

Roosta
29-11-2010, 6:58pm
Buy the 50D if you want a camera, buy the 550D if you want video as an option, If you want a camera my advice and after going what your going through, is get the 50D. Get a body only, and by a good bit of glass, but if your budget can stretch, go the 7D. It has both, The 50D does have it's advantages though, weather sealing, body material and the like. Some good reviews here. If you already have got the kit lens/lenses with 400d that is.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Reviews.aspx

Also www.dpreview.com, under reviews, look for the above mentioned models, Dpreviews has lots of test shots and detailed information.

Happy hunting,

Brettles
29-11-2010, 7:04pm
cheers :)

unistudent1962
05-12-2010, 12:06pm
What accessories do you want to carry over from the 400D to the 550D?
I've got both of them, batteries, grips, memory cards are not interchangable between the two bodies.
About the only things that are are my lenses and flash, and that would apply to all bodies in the Canon APS-C range.
50D and 7D use CF cards, just as your 400D does, although you'd probably need faster/higher capacity to make the most of the video capabilities of the 50D and 7D.

That said the 550D is much more highly featured body than the 400D, and you won't be disappointed if you go that way.
I bought a few things at the same time, and wasn't brave enough to go grey.
Shopping around, getting written quotes and buying locally I paid around $3K, saving about $1K over RRP.