PDA

View Full Version : from D90 to D7000

kingfisher29
28-11-2010, 9:47pm
Hi,

Just want to see how many people here bought a D7000 to replace their D90.

And do any of you regret or glad you did that???

Obes
28-11-2010, 9:49pm
I did, and I am happy. (And so is the wife, she got to upgrade from the D60 to the D90 :P ) ... Happy wife, happy life ?

kingfisher29
28-11-2010, 9:55pm
Happy wife, happy life....aren't you the lucky man.

it's a win win situation. good job on that one.

so how do you find the D7000? coming from a D90 user

fire377
07-12-2010, 1:53pm
Happy wife, happy life....aren't you the lucky man.

it's a win win situation. good job on that one.

so how do you find the D7000? coming from a D90 user

Hi,
Just went to start thread when I noticed this, just what I wanted to know,

so how do you find the D7000? coming from a D90 user, is it an upgrade for the user.
Regards
Phil

fire377
10-12-2010, 7:33am
All the D7000 must be out enjoying there cameras if you have time please let us know was it worth the jump D90 to D7000

ricktas
10-12-2010, 7:42am
The tech in the D90 is probably about 3 years old now (it was released in Sept 08), so the design phase would make it about 3 years. The D7000 is new, and camera tech is advancing at a huge rate, so the D7000 just for that would be worth getting over a D90.

However any camera upgrade has to be done for the right reasons. What is it about your D90 that is restricting your ability to take great photos? This question is not about your skills as a photographer, but about the actual D90. When you can answer that question with valid reasons, then an upgrade is warranted, but if you want to upgrade cause you 'want a better camera to take better photos', then you need to look at YOU, not the camera, The D90 is quite capable of producing stunning results.

Two ambiguous paragraphs? Yep, but that was on purpose to make you think about your reasons for wanting to upgrade!

kiwi
10-12-2010, 8:03am
I dont think there's enough difference to warrant an upgrade

fire377
10-12-2010, 8:21am
The tech in the D90 is probably about 3 years old now (it was released in Sept 08), so the design phase would make it about 3 years. The D7000 is new, and camera tech is advancing at a huge rate, so the D7000 just for that would be worth getting over a D90.

However any camera upgrade has to be done for the right reasons. What is it about your D90 that is restricting your ability to take great photos? This question is not about your skills as a photographer, but about the actual D90. When you can answer that question with valid reasons, then an upgrade is warranted, but if you want to upgrade cause you 'want a better camera to take better photos', then you need to look at YOU, not the camera, The D90 is quite capable of producing stunning results.

Two ambiguous paragraphs? Yep, but that was on purpose to make you think about your reasons for wanting to upgrade!

Thanks,
Very happy with D90, my only problem is I shoot some action shots, generally hit and miss, you know the type "grandkids" I was hoping a D 7000 maybe would help,
also toyed with the idea of a D300s..

ricktas
10-12-2010, 8:33am
When you say 'hit and miss'.. why? is that the result of the camera, or the operator. Getting a newer camera will not, in most instances make your results better, you need to understand why those photos are hit and miss, and what YOU are doing wrong. The D90 is quite capable of taking sports photos, so I would suggest you need advice on how to improve your sports photos rather than a new camera. Post some of them to the Sport forum and get advice.

kiwi
10-12-2010, 10:00am
I'm happy to help you with your sports photos, and i assure you that after having a go with a D90, and I have a D300s and a D3, that it's more than adequate for most sports :)

fire377
10-12-2010, 1:52pm
I'm happy to help you with your sports photos, and i assure you that after having a go with a D90, and I have a D300s and a D3, that it's more than adequate for most sports :)

Hi Kiwi,
Open to all suggestions, insight may also help,
Nikon D90, normal P mode, I accept what system suggests, using 18 -200 VR II. Probably more action than sport chasing grandkids around running riding, etc,.
Thanks for any help offered
Regards

ving
10-12-2010, 2:10pm
Hi Kiwi,
Open to all suggestions, insight may also help,
Nikon D90, normal P mode, I accept what system suggests, using 18 -200 VR II. Probably more action than sport chasing grandkids around running riding, etc,.
Thanks for any help offered
Regardsfirst sugestion is to take it out of p-mode. try aperture priority mode and open the perture right up. you need a fat shutterspeed and the camera will adjust the shutter speed to get a well exposed shot. if you notice the shutterspeed lagging due to poor light then bump up the iso... the d90 will take good quality shots at iso 1600. :)

just ask questions, thats the main thing....

the only reason i'd bother upgrading is if shooting movies was important cause the d90 wont auto focus in movie mode while the d7k does, and if i wanted to be able to shoot at really high iso cause thats what the d7k is good for. generally iso 1600 on the d90 is really quite good and even 3200 if the light is ok.

kiwi
10-12-2010, 2:13pm
Head over to the NTP tutorials

You need to get off "p" to shoot sport as you need a fast shutter speed, over 1/500s anyhow and af-c and understanding how to focus on moving objects

old dog
10-12-2010, 2:28pm
I have a D80 and am really looking forward to getting the D7000. I want live view for macro as my eyesight is not as good as it was. A faster shutter speed can be used because of higher iso performance. Twin SD slots, not too concerned with the video but will have a play with it. Might be my start in becoming a bigtime movie maker and make heaps of money that I can waste on stuff that I don`t need....:D

fire377
11-12-2010, 6:45am
Head over to the NTP tutorials

You need to get off "p" to shoot sport as you need a fast shutter speed, over 1/500s anyhow and af-c and understanding how to focus on moving objects
Hi,
Tried your suggestion, sat on verandah and shot cars going past, thank you what an improvement that made..will now practice on grandkids will keep you informed.

ricktas
11-12-2010, 7:47am
Hi,
Tried your suggestion, sat on verandah and shot cars going past, thank you what an improvement that made..will now practice on grandkids will keep you informed.

Good to see. Taking advice on board and using it, is the way to improve, well done for taking our comments on board, not buying new gear. Once you have mastered moving objects, start posting some for us to critique. They look at other sections of the New To Photography Forum, it is there to help guide you to better photography, along with posting photos and acting on the feedback, the two together should be able to get any budding photographer to a fairly good level of photography.