PDA

View Full Version : 7D or Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L

aayling
28-11-2010, 8:12pm
I currently have a 400D with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens. I have been saving up and will have 1500 or so to spend on gear around April next year. I'm tossing up between getting a 7D or whether I should upgrade my wildlife lens to the Canon 100-400???

I would really like things like the larger viewfinder, better autofocus in servo mode, liveview, and especially the better low light abilities of the 7D (not to mention the Auto ISO feature) as these things I find a bit of a limitation with the 400D.

My favourite type of photography is bird photography but I also really like macro wildlife and nature photography (which is where I'd really like the larger viewfinder and liveview).

I guess what I really want to know is how far short of the canon is my sigma lens and is it worth living with the short comings of the body to get the lens?

If people have a totally different option altogether please throw it in there. I know its a long time before I make the decision but I am just trying to get a better idea of what is the best option for me.

daniel5600
28-11-2010, 8:23pm
Ive been doing a lot of research on the Sigma vs Canon big lenses, in my opinion, from the thousands of reviews and tests ive read, the upgrade is too minimal. Id stick with the Sigma lens you have and upgrade your body, or put the money to something else.

davearnold
28-11-2010, 9:01pm
I did a lot of research too, and on the weekend bought the Sigma 150-500, as the reviews did not put a lot between the two, and the sigma lens has that extra reach, I would definately get a 7D over that canon lens.

Roosta
29-11-2010, 12:02pm
I'm with Daniel on this one, The body will elevaite so of your first concerns, it may bring the best out in the lens, where as, the new lens on the old body might be the same for you. Being your in Brisvegas, DCW, and I'm sure there must be a site sponsor up that way, that would have the lens and most deffiently the body, why not take your setup in and have a play, They'll see your serious, so go out side and shoot some birds or what ever is in the area that you can use as a guide.

Hope this is of some help.

P.S, Daniels link on Large Telephoto lenses under the Canon Forum has alot of useful info init.

infl3xion
29-11-2010, 12:27pm
8fps might be handy for birding? :)

rwg717
29-11-2010, 10:19pm
One thing at a time, go with the 7D for starters, the extra features in this camera over the old one are enormous and I would worry about the glass later. BTW the 100-400 is a great lens too:)
Richard

DAdeGroot
29-11-2010, 10:57pm
In this case, I too would opt for a new body over the 100-400L.

Your Sigma can produce some excellent images, and is 100mm longer than the 100-400L. Now if you were thinking of a straight 400mm prime, the choice would be harder, as the 400/5.6L is a very very sharp lens.

However, if you're hitting limitations of your 400D, then an upgrade is justified. From what I've heard, the 7D is quite capable (and definitely a huge leap forward over the 400D). AF wise, it's the best you can get before going to a 1 series body (and you'll need a lot more than $1500 for that!).

pagani
12-12-2010, 5:14pm
I have just purchased the 7D and I have not looked back, you will be able to do so much more with it than your current body!! :)

crum
15-12-2010, 11:56am
I upgraded my 400D with a 7D and have not regretted it at all. The camera is miles ahead in every way. I mounted my 70-200 f/4 onto the 400D out of curiosity and it felt absolutely horrible to hold. Even with the 7D being physically bigger and heavier is it balanced so much nicer and the big crystal clear display is brilliant

Cam Scott
17-12-2010, 12:42am
I just got a 7D as a second body to my 5DII. The 1.6 crop works a treat with the 100-400L and the focus points for servo tracking are great compared to the 5DII which I use for portraits.

Get the 7D. Go for the glass later, push your current lens to it's max, and really get to know how the 7D works. Then you'll be in a good posi to ensure you buy the right lens for what you want.

All the best!

LJG
17-12-2010, 7:18am
Definitely the 7D Adam. You will notice the faster AF with your Sigma and you'll love it more. I went 450D to 50D and my keeper rate with the big Sigma soared, so you should be amazed with the 7D.

Bennymiata
17-12-2010, 12:49pm
I was lucky enough to get a 100-400 lens a week or so ago, and I have to say that I'm amazed at how good it is.
I have taken a number of shots, handheld, at the full 400mm, and over 90% of these shots are sharp and clear, with great colours and details.
I don't know about the Bigma lens, except when I played with it, it felt really big and heavy (mind you, so is the 100-400 only a bit less so).

I have a new D60, but I did agonise over getting the 7D instead, but the beautiful, tilting screen won me over in the end, and the picture quality of the D60 is exactly the same as the 7D.

As you already have a nice, long lens, if I were you, I'd get the body first, learn how to use it, then hire or loan a 100-400 lens for a day and see if it is really any better for your uses.

cookie99
30-12-2010, 6:29pm
The 7D is the best bang for your buck in the camera stakes by far. I use it for BIFs instead of my MKIV now and am selling the MKIV and buying a second 7D to accompany my 2 MKIIIs which I still prefer over the MKIV.

Tonym
31-12-2010, 10:35pm
I have the 100-400L and use it on my 50D mainly for birds and wildlife and really like it, the 50D is my first serious camera though as I previously used a 350D and as much as I like it I would certainly upgrade to a 7D if I had the chance. The more I take with the better camera the more I seem to look for better photos. From what I see on the forums the Sigma is very good also so I would be inclined to get the 7D and continue with the Sigma.