PDA

View Full Version : Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Lens versus Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

davearnold
25-11-2010, 8:51am
Hi everybody,

I have a 450D with twin lens kit.

Looking at lens options mostly for outdoor birds etc.

I have seen a lot of good reviews for the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

My question would I see much difference over the canon 55-250, will I notice the extra 50mm ,as I do find occasionally I wish I had more zoom, and would there be any noticeable difference in the quality of the images between the two.

Thanks David.

I

blissful
25-11-2010, 10:56am
I have just bought the Tamron and I'm loving it. I haven't had much of a chance yet but I'll be showing some pics in the next few days. The reviews I've read so far show the Tamron is good throughout the full zoom and likewise centre to edge.

I think you will miss that extra 50mm. The bird togs here usually state that 300mm is the minimum effective distance. Although there are situations where that doesn't matter - see http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?71701-Wisdom for a bird shot taken at 60mm.

There is a big difference in price, with the Canon being considerably cheaper. Certainly the Tamron will be better in length and probably image quality (judging from the reviews - I don't have the Canon lens). You have to decide whether that justifies the extra cost. It certainly did for me.

Roosta
25-11-2010, 11:50am
Hi Dave, Just some focal lenght notes, I use a 70-200 F2.8 L lens and added to that fit my Kenko Teleconvertor 1.4, it gives me an effective focal range of 280mm, it still leaves it lacking for the more finiky birds to reach. So if you can get more focal reach with out loosing IQ get the focal lenght IMO. If you have it and dont use it, it's better than wanting it and not having it. If that makes sense.

Arg
25-11-2010, 2:31pm
For birding, the longer the lens the better, with no upper limit.

Get the longest lens you can afford. :p

I would say the Tamron is too short. Image quality is not an issue with the 55-250 anyway.

If you really wanted a 70-300, get the Canon 70-300 anyway, it's a great lens.

For birding, whatever you get, make sure it is compatible with a dedicated teleconverter.
They make life a misery but life wasn't meant to be easy for the non-rich birder :o