PDA

View Full Version : E-450 Olympus

Robdenham
23-11-2010, 8:45pm
Hi all,

I brought this camera about nine months ago(Olympus E-450 DSLR with twin lens kit; 14-42mm &40-150mm), I thought it would be a good camera to learn from and it is. I have read books, magazines and just getting into the NTP bit in this site.
I'm really keen to better my photography. My question is should I upgrade now to a better camera that I mean something around an intermediate level and a bit more expensive now before I go on?(as the E-450 is a beginners level camera).
Has anyone got one of these cameras or had one(or it's predessor the E-420). And can tell me either to stay put or to upgrade now before I start spending money on Lenses etc.

Thanks
Any info would help.

peterb666
24-11-2010, 12:34am
When you talk about upgrading, it sounds like you mean change mounts.

I cannot help you with respect to the Olympus E-450 as I have an Olympus E-P1.

I recently acquired a Nikon D90 and Nikon 10-24mm zoom to go with it. There is no doubt than in most situations, image quality from the larger sensor cameras is better. In the most part, that means less post-processing, less image noise and a little more detail. Sounds like a no-contest yet I still use my Olympus E-P1 more than the Nikon. The reasons are straight forward. I like the small size and can take it to work in my bag with other stuff. It is a fabulous size for travel. I like the subtle Olympus colour rendering.

There are other reasons why I use the Olympus a lot. The lenses are great. You have some fabulous options in FT including supurb 14-54mm and 12-60mm standard zooms. The very compact 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 zoom, the brilliant 14-35 f/2 and 35-100 f/2 zooms. Within reach of the budget of most dedicated photographers, no one else offers zooms that fast as those f/2 lenses.

On the downside, the E-5 could well be the last FT camera out however MFT will support FT lenses via an adapter so not all is lost.

As far a learing more about photography, you have the best part of a reasonable kit.

I think the bottom line is that if you like the camera, stick with it. If not, get something esle but don't expect the change to necessarily result in better photos.