PDA

View Full Version : Leica R3 SLR or R4 SLR????

smallfooties
21-11-2010, 9:06pm
I have the opportunity to purchase or trade in my yashica 124G for either a Leica R3 or the R4.
The R3 is in perfect condition but the R4 has shutter timing problems... Which one should i get? Should i keep my yashica 124G and just buy the leica or should i trade?

ameerat42
22-11-2010, 1:12pm
Sounds like "all or nothing" would be the go, but I would have a tendency to avoid the one with the shutter problem. Of course, if you're a technician...
Am.

jjphoto
22-11-2010, 2:33pm
R4's have a history of problems, including circuit boards. I'm not too sure about parts being available for them, or the cost to repair them, but you need to do some serious home work first if you are looking at buying an R4.

I have an R4 and I think it's one of the best cameras that I have, and I have quite a few. I prefer the R4 in some respects to the R8 because the R4 has a larger viewfinder image magnification which makes it easier to accurately focus wide angle lenses. It's a great camera IMHO. One of the problems with the R4 is that the original or standard focusing screen is quite dim and difficult to focus. I suggest replacing the focusing screen with a 'standard' screen from a later R such as R6/R7. It makes a huge difference and is worth the effort to track one down, as they are no longer available new. I've never used an R3 so I can't help you with that.

JJ

TOM
22-11-2010, 9:12pm
what lenses are on offer with the camera, or which ones do you plan to buy? R lenses are starting to rise rapidly in value, after a recent low.

smallfooties
23-11-2010, 4:04pm
Hi Tom,
the camera is body only... I would like to get either a wide angle or a 50mm lens...
not sure what brand of lens would fit? I much prefer the R4... but think the R3 is alright too???
Just that the R4s available require some sort of fixing... whereas the R3s i've seen seem to be in good condition...
I heard the price of the yashica will only appreciate. Is this true?