PDA

View Full Version : 1st DSLR

silkdiver
19-11-2010, 2:12pm
I now have my first DSLR, a 50D with a couple of lenses, grip & flash.

OMG so many buttons, looks like I will be spending some time just trying to figure it all out...starting with the "New to Photograpgy" section.

Now I just need a cheap but almost decent tripod (under $250) that will last me a bit till I can save some more.

Let the fun begin :eek:

old dog
19-11-2010, 2:40pm
sounds like you are ready for action and a lot of fun. There is plenty of info here about how to approach using a dslr. Get out of auto or program mode asap and learn how to use aperture, speed priority and manual to your advantage. Read you manual from cover to cover and mark the relevant pages of most importance. I don`t know what your skill level is or your experience with an slr and particularly with a digital slr. Hopefully others with more experience than I will chime in and set you on the right course.

silkdiver
19-11-2010, 2:48pm
Originally posted by old dog: I don`t know what your skill level is or your experience with an slr and particularly with a digital slr.

In a word: newbie :D

old dog
19-11-2010, 3:02pm
OK......well try and use the advice I have provided then. Spend some dollars and buy `Understanding Exposure` by Bruce Peterson or other similar books. A wealth of information in this book as to how different apertures give different results. Also manual mode is so easy...just means rotating a couple of dials nearly everytime you take a shot....and after a very short time it becomes second nature. Aperture priority is a snack too. Personally I don`t use auto anything as you have more control over things. I only ramp up the iso if the shutter speed is too slow. Same with the aperture....open the lens more if shutter too slow but careful about the quality if the lens is opened right up. I hope I have given a bit of useful info. Have a look at the New to Photography area on this site as well as any other thread or area that explains basically what I have said. cheers and have fun.

unistudent1962
19-11-2010, 5:27pm
Now I just need a cheap but almost decent tripod (under $250) that will last me a bit till I can save some more.

Have a look at the Benro range available from http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/p2.asp?ItemClass1=BENRO+Tripod+%26+Ball+head

They're reasonably priced, and very solid. You should be able to get something to suit your needs within your budget.

Arg
21-11-2010, 6:58pm
I got the Slik Sprint Pro II for $120. Small and light enough for travel, goes full height. Quite flexible in its setup options, decent quality (all-metal joints). Not suited for big tele lenses of course.

silkdiver
22-11-2010, 12:15pm
I ended up buying the Manfrotto 055xprob with 498rc2 head, a bit more than I had budgeted but it should last me a while.

ving
22-11-2010, 12:22pm
now you are armed and dangerous!!! :D

silkdiver
22-11-2010, 12:33pm
Oriignally posted by ving : now you are armed and dangerous!!!

EXTREMELY dangerous, cos I have no idea what I am doing...YET!!!
I did manage to take a couple of photos of a care-flight 'copter taking off on the weekend, in ummm auto of course. I just need to figure out how to post process the raw file now, so more reading :eek:

PH005
22-11-2010, 12:34pm
Go get em !! :)

Roosta
22-11-2010, 7:04pm
I now have my first DSLR, a 50D with a couple of lenses, grip & flash. :
Good one Silk, you'll be happy with what I class as a very capable camera, I was given a great piece of advice when I got my camera, If you use the sponsors link above goto fishpond, and search for "Magic Lantern Books, add Canon 50D" You can get a book, or a Book nad DVD, the Book and DVD is fantastic, sit on the lounge, camera in hand and dvd playing, very easy to follow and learn.

Have fun..

silkdiver
23-11-2010, 11:19am
Good one Silk, you'll be happy with what I class as a very capable camera, I was given a great piece of advice when I got my camera, If you use the sponsors link above goto fishpond, and search for "Magic Lantern Books, add Canon 50D" You can get a book, or a Book nad DVD, the Book and DVD is fantastic, sit on the lounge, camera in hand and dvd playing, very easy to follow and learn.

Have fun..

Thanks Roosta, fishpond also have free shipping at the moment, and wow almost half the price that a local camera store was going to charge me :cool:
And yes I managed to find the link so that AP benefits as well.