PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade the zoom lens:::

Bobby01
19-11-2010, 12:03pm
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this hase been discussed previously, I have searched through the forums but cant really find anything...
I have a Canon 550D body with a few basic lenses...
What I have is the canon 75-300mm crappy non IS zoom lens (bought secondhand for $70), I have been playing with a mate's 55-250mm IS kit lens and an really blown away with the IS, even if the lens itself is not all that crash hot...What I would like to do is get rid of my lens and get a decent zoom lens without going as far as say the canon 70-200mm f4 ($1500). I do not tend to use the zoom lens a great deal except for dabbling in some macro and the occasional motorsport/wildlife shots
I already have the 17-85mm general zoom lens, so just need something for the zoom stuff and something I can use with extension tubes to get some macro shots. I looked at Canon 18-200 IS (but no USM), then looked at a range of Tamron and Sigma lenses roughly around $500-$700 but these all seem to be the super zooms 18-270, 28-300 etc and just seem to much of a compromise in image quality...
So after all the research I'm back at square one and am thinking of just buying a 55-250mm and maybe a dedicated macro lens later on (canon 100mm macro)
What does everyone think? Is there a cheaper upgrade option? Are the Tamron/sigma lenses any good?
Essentials: reasonably fast focus, image stabilisation, under $800
Non essentials: fast lens (not too much low light stuff going on)

Thanks in advance!

blissful
19-11-2010, 5:44pm
I have just ordered the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens that is just starting to be made available for Canon cameras - Nikon has had it for a few months now and I'm hoping to have it next week on my 7D.
Virtually every review I have read raves about the image quality, the 4-stop IS (VC I think they call it), the smooth quiet USD and the accurate focus. I've found the sample pics to be particularly impressive.

The price - $512 USD delivered (from the USA). The most common comment I've read is that this seems very underpriced for the quality, and particularly when you compare it to the upcoming Canon 70-300mm L.

Might be just what you're after. :)

Arg
21-11-2010, 6:51pm
Hi, read the review of the current model Canon 55-250 IS on the slrgear site and you will find, especially when you compare its test charts with even more expensive alternatives, that its optical quality has no weaknesses worth going on about. :eek: That's truly extraordinary.

You said "I do not tend to use the zoom lens a great deal" so I would strongly recommend this lens for you, as its main weakness is that the plastic lens mount would not last as long as a metal lens mount for a heavy user. But that's not you.