PDA

View Full Version : Battery grips

Higham
19-11-2010, 12:01am
What on earth do I buy? I need help! DWI's telling me $157, cannon want $288 and sellers on eBay range from $50 to $80.

This is for the BG-E2

What do I do, are they that different? I am leaning towards DWI, I just want some other opinions please.

Cheers Higham

Tatts
19-11-2010, 8:41am
The ones on ebay are third party ones, similar to the DWI one for $110. The DWI and Australian version are the same. The one from DWI is a grey market one and the one from Canon is an Australian version.

GMPhoto
23-11-2010, 10:51pm
I got one from Hong Kong via Ebay for $95 delivered to my door including 2 battery's. I use it a 50D for the past 12 months. It has never missed a beat. In a nut shell best $100 spent.

GM

LJG
24-11-2010, 9:27am
Many buy non genuine and seem to have great success. I have 2, the one on my 450D is non genuine, the one on my 50D is a genuine Canon. There is no comparison, the genuine one beats the non genuine hands down. The non genuine started playing up firstly with the shutter button, now the roller wheel. Personally, I'd never buy non genuine again no matter how many times I was told the cheaper versions are just as good. That is just my personal experience anyway.

Bear Dale
24-11-2010, 12:19pm
My 2c - I'd go for the genuine

jasevk
24-11-2010, 1:10pm
I've had 2 non genuine grips on my d700... But I now have the mb-d10, I'd never go back to the non genuine now, the mb d10 I find much more comfy than the other 2 I had

larrywen
25-11-2010, 10:42pm
good tips

Speedway
25-11-2010, 11:20pm
I have had a cheap e-bay grip on my 400d for well over 30,000 actuations and have never had a problem.
Keith.

Roosta
27-11-2010, 10:49am
Was going to buy the non Canon grip ($100 - $150 ish), but shopped around and got the gen unit for $150.00 from my local pro camera shop. It functions like you would want, buttons and wheels do what they should, came with AA battery craddle aswell. Go the Gen and dont look back. With the two Camera batteries, it lasts and lasts.

Gemini2261
27-11-2010, 12:09pm
I bought a non gen Canon grip on ebay from China (isn't that where everything is made??) & never had a prob with it...paid $35 & that included postage...rather spend my money on genuine Canon L lenses quite frankly. Oh & I managed to get 6 batteries non-gen for $1.99 each including post, had them all nearly a year & they are fab no problems at all.

JM Tran
27-11-2010, 12:33pm
guys just remember that if the camera is weather sealed/resistant ala the 50D, 40D, 5D2 etc - a non genuine grip will not provide the same sealing as an official Canon one, something to keep in mind if you are in rugged areas and conditions.

hus
27-11-2010, 12:51pm
Ok being a tightarse (not by choice) I got 2 ebay grips, one for the 400D and the other for the 50D.
So far very happy and problem free, for me as long as they hold up then they are good as genuine. Fully agree with

rather spend my money on genuine Canon L lenses quite frankly. :D:D

MarkChap
27-11-2010, 6:21pm
guys just remember that if the camera is weather sealed/resistant ala the 50D, 40D, 5D2 etc - a non genuine grip will not provide the same sealing as an official Canon one, something to keep in mind if you are in rugged areas and conditions.

None fo those units have weather sealing anyway JM
The 7D is weather sealed, however even the genuine grip does not offer weather sealing

If you add a grip you lose the weather resistance regardless of whether you use a genuine or non genuine grip

JM Tran
27-11-2010, 6:43pm
None fo those units have weather sealing anyway JM
The 7D is weather sealed, however even the genuine grip does not offer weather sealing

If you add a grip you lose the weather resistance regardless of whether you use a genuine or non genuine grip

no the 40D, 50D, 5D2 and so on do offer weather sealing but not as comprehensive as a 1D body - its more so referred to as environmental sealing, much better resistant to dust and water etc to other models but not on the same level as the 1.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS50D/page31.asp

Like its predecessors the 50D sports a well built magnesium body that now features improved environmental sealing. Canon has also had more than eight years to optimize the camera's handling and it's done a good job.

Do you know the subtle difference between a BG2 and BG2N grip for Canon?

MarkChap
27-11-2010, 7:00pm
no the 40D, 50D, 5D2 and so on do offer weather sealing but not as comprehensive as a 1D body - its more so referred to as environmental sealing, much better resistant to dust and water etc to other models but not on the same level as the 1.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS50D/page31.asp

Do you know the subtle difference between a BG2 and BG2N grip for Canon?

Yep, do you ??
You lose any weather/environmental sealing once you add a grip

Roosta
27-11-2010, 7:18pm
Yep, do you ??

If so, Canon sould not advertise their (N) grip as weather proof/resistant, thats why I went that path "Canon Battery Grip BG-E2N
Battery Grip BG-E2N accommodates an additional BP-511A battery pack for extended shooting time without re-charging. The BG-E2N also has increased dust and water-resistance on the battery compartment's cover for added durability."

Compatible with the following Canon DSLR cameras:
EOS-20D / 30D / 40D / 50D

I surpose "Weather Resistance" is their wording of choice.

JM Tran
27-11-2010, 7:58pm
Yep, do you ??

Yup, thats why I asked you, refer to roosta's post above. You DO NOT LOSE any weather/environmental sealing once you add a grip - as long as the grip is still sealed ala the BG2N and the screw is tightly compressed it offers the same protection. Otherwise what is the point of Canon releasing an N model???????

Same reason a 580EXII exists over the original 580EX, its sealed, amongs some other changes.

Some combat correspondents and journalists in my field have used the 5D2 and grip to great effects in the Middle East attached to operational units in the field for filming and docos, and the SEALING protection of the 5D2 and grip makes it last just a little bit more longer than something without it. This was before the 1D4 came about, and now most have switched over to that due to a better all round sealing protection.

I dont know why you would argue otherwise when it is pretty well known that cameras such as 40/50D/5D2 offers a level of sealing protection - same for their accommodating grips.

Back that opinion up please.

http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

Oh look, its a 7D with a battery grip on it and covered in snow! Pretty sure the photographer there didnt lose any sealing when he was using the battery grip.

Quoting said photographer:

The big surprise was the 5D Mark II. I used this camera as hard as (but not as much) the 7D and it performed superbly. I didn´t use any protection from rain or snow. The camera was used without the battery grip, which might have helped. The 5D Mark II has been on 2 expeditions to Svalbard (Arctic – 80° North) and one recent expedition to Antarctica without problems, so the weather sealing is robust enough for most conditions.

Oh look, the 5D2 has sealing:)

I'd be happy to post up recent pics of my 5D2 performing in the Gobi deserts in Mongolia with a lot of dust and sand debris flying around, with a grip too.

Bercy
27-11-2010, 10:07pm
I am not sure of the internal electrical risks. One would presume it would pretty hard to short out the camera, from a grip, but I would rather have the real article at this end of proceedings. Historically, and I am happy to be corrected, some old flash guns when connected to a hot shoe did awful things. Yeah - so I would be a touch careful as to what I was attaching to an expensive bit of kit. I by some 35dollar bits, but not much, and things attached to the camera are generally things designed for them by teh manufacturer or recognised thrid party purveyors.

hus
29-11-2010, 1:46pm
some old flash guns when connected to a hot shoe did awful things.

From my understanding those old flashes use a high voltage when they trigger, they were designed for old technology film cameras. I had to measure my sigma st flash before I put it on my 50D.
But those third party grips are only providing the voltage coming from the batteries that were designed for that specific camera so the danger of the grip frying the camera seems very very low. :th3:

Roosta
29-11-2010, 1:51pm
From my understanding those old flashes use a high voltage when they trigger, they were designed for old technology film cameras. I had to measure my sigma st flash before I put it on my 50D.
But those third party grips are only providing the voltage coming from the batteries that were designed for that specific camera so the danger of the grip frying the camera seems very very low. :th3:

Hus, I think Bercy was just stating that you are always better to use the correct product for its application, thats what context I got it in, not so much try to us, or ??

Old flash, old camera,

Canon DSLR, Gen battery grip. :th3:

Bercy
29-11-2010, 2:27pm
The battery grip has two batteries. The device should delivery the same power as one battery, which means either a sequential discharge, or circuitry to reduce the power to the equivalent of one battery. Sure you would not think that a 3rd party provider could do any thing so stupid as to just wire them together and fry your camera..but you know the circuitry in the canon genuine article will not have any silly shortcuts.

inplace
30-11-2010, 8:01am
I have a 40D with a BG-E2N and 2 genuine batteries, which these days have become cheaper.

I have heard stories about no genuine power and basically its 50/50 - but I myself wouldn't take the risk.

yogestee
11-12-2010, 9:04pm
I've been using Phottix battery grips for a few years without any problems.. Check them out on eBay..

Perfectoarts
14-02-2011, 12:43pm
Generic grip with generic batteries.
You won't be sorry. Also I find using the grips balance the body nicely when using larger lenses eg 70-200mm f2.8
Biceps are building up :)

Kerro
14-02-2011, 2:07pm
350D non genuine 3rd party
7D genuine Canon
No difference except the price.
No problems in over 2 years with the 350D version and 3rd party batteries too.

Namus
15-02-2011, 12:53pm
Bought a non-genuine one from Ebay for my 40D - never had any issues; came with AA battery cradle as well

gauci58
16-02-2011, 6:04pm
I have a 350d,30d,40d,5d all with genuine grips no problems so far. I have heard of problems with non gen grip but i also know of some people that have had no problems.
I would buy genuine if you are intending to keep the camera.

davearnold
16-02-2011, 7:01pm
I have non genuine battery grip on a 450D, over 6 months old and works fine, with two non-genuine batteries, starting to use it more.... and with two batteries they last for ever, finding even with moderate use, there is probably two months at least between battery charging !

toad
03-03-2011, 3:16pm
When it's all said and done, the difference between a genuine and non genuine grip is probably only $100.
It's a bit like tripods, some people spend $2,000 or more on an expensive DSLR and then skimp on a flimsy tripod (or head) with all the associated risks of damage to their investment.