PDA

View Full Version : Canon 580 Flash - Attach to Monopod

jeffde
17-11-2010, 2:14pm
Hi - Some may already know this but i didn't and my local camera store didn't either!!!

The little stand that comes with your Caon flash (for when your using as a slave)
there's a screw hole in the bottom which you can attach to your tripod or monopod.

I just never looked so thought that other may have not....

Handing when your using the 2nd flash as a slave and want to hold it high or further away etc...

michatography
17-11-2010, 3:47pm
Nice tip, it makes sense. I've just ordered my first 580 Ex ii flash, should arrive early next week, I'll check it out. Probably not useful to me until I get a second flash but good tip.

etherial
17-11-2010, 8:53pm
Yes indeedy, they have a standard socket under there. Hence why I have kept my old $30 tripod, wouldn't trust it with the camera, but holds the flash just fine ;)

kiwi
17-11-2010, 8:58pm
Also used to attach speedlight to a light stand.

Bercy
18-11-2010, 11:51am
Oh but you can do so much more. I attach an umbrella holder to tripod and then courtesy of the screw thread in the base, I can attach the flash. So you can get nice soft even lighting. Bounced flashes are not overly potent, but the WAF of the full powered strobes puts it out of contention. Oh - Sorry - WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor. This factor modulates most purchasing decisions. Anyway the elbows bend and adjust so it is easy to adjust the direction of bounce. I have never bothered adjusting the output because its just as easy to move the flash back a bit. Used this system for a food book publication. The presented shots were acceptable to the publisher. Cheers.