PDA

View Full Version : Canon G12 or what ?

bennito42
14-11-2010, 7:33pm
I currently own a Canon 5D with lens from 20mm to 200mm . I'm looking to purchase a small camerafor "general" photos and wher a 5D may be too "intrusive"
Will I be disappointed with the results from a Canon Powershot G12 ?
Main areas of interest are landscape and people photography.
BTW....what memory card is best for a G12 ( taking mainly photographs, plus occasional video clips).

colinbm
14-11-2010, 8:46pm
The Canon G12 are good cameras, use the cards that are recomended, usually the faster the better these days.
You can get some advanced features from a group called CHDK, Canon Hack Developement Kit. But they have only developed the G11, to date. The advanced features offered are sometimes exceeding what you can do on a DSLR. Another offshoot group SDM is for using a pair of cameras to do stereo or 3D photography.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Cheers
Col

TOM
14-11-2010, 11:54pm
i have a g11 and i've just given it to the kids. i have just never really liked it, and i have recently replaced it with the olympus ep-1. great camera and it (ep-1, ep-2, epl-2) would give you the flexibility to use your canon eos lenses, as well as any other lens you may pickup over time.

Bercy
15-11-2010, 12:21am
I understand the G10 was the bees knees, but the model like might have lost a bit of direction. There are so many models in this field, and new models surface avery 3 minutes. As you have a fair idea of what you want it for, I'd probably argue for the best lens, and fewest buttons, and obviously RAW.

Eberbachl
15-11-2010, 2:22am
I've personally never seen the point... still a tiny sensor.

If I wanted a compact for portability's sake, I'd get something truly pocketable... not a Gx.

If I wanted a compact for quality's sake, I'd want one with an APS-C sensor.

;)