PDA

View Full Version : 60mm f/2.8 Macro

rbat
14-11-2010, 10:04am
Hi everyone,

I was all set to purchase a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens when someone mentioned to me that a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens might be a better way to go. I have a 450D and not going to upgrade in the foreseeable future. I love macro photography and just want something to allow me to do this as my current kit lenses have serious limitations. I've heard the 60mm is a good portrait lens also?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

MarkChap
14-11-2010, 10:46am
I don't know why someone would think the 60mm would be better over the 100mm ??
Both are great lenses, the 100mm would give you a little more working distance from your subject, which is a bonus if bugs are on your menu (sorry about the unintended reference to Mongo :) ) as you won't have to get so close, therefor maybe not so inclined to scare them away.

Don't know if the 60mm option is a budgetary choice, if it is, even if it isn't, have you considered the 90mm Tamron. (just to throw another option in for you :th3:)

Jules
14-11-2010, 10:49am
I had the 60mm macro (paired with a 450D) and without any exaggeration, it is by far the best lens I've used. I loved that lens and it was on my camera 95% of the time. I only let it go because it wouldn't work on my 5DII, but if you don't plan to move to FF for a while, then I strongly recommend it.

The lens is dangerously sharp, even shooting wide open. It's smaller than the 100mm macro and easier to handhold. As well as macros I used it a lot for portraits. Shooting at f2.8, the background blur was very good and with the close focusing ability, I found it excellent for shooting babies, children and working indoors. The lens is a little gem.

Steadyhands
14-11-2010, 11:07am
I say go with the 100mm (and I use a 180 Macro). If this is your first macro lens then you want some that will be the best "do everything" lens. Your do everything lens has to balance a few things.

Image quality wise there will be little if any difference between the 60mm and the 100mm lenses. While you loose a little due to the slightly larger size of the 100mm you gain more working distance so you don't spook the insects as readily. Either lens can be used for Portraiture. The 100mm lens future proofs you also, if you every move to a full frame or non-EF-S compatible body.

rbat
15-11-2010, 7:56pm
Thank you for the feedback. It is a shame that I can't try either out, it would probably help my decision making process. I really can't see myself upgrading the body for quite some time but appreciate the extra length from insects which is something I'm keen to try.

gje38752
15-11-2010, 8:09pm
Hi, I also had a 450D with a 60mm lens and agree it is a great lens, however there is one thing that hasn,t been addressed, the 450D is not a full frame camera, but a AFS therefore a 60mm lens on the 450D is the equiiivent of 90mm. and a 100mm lens would be approx 150mm. Think about what you feel is the best for you:)

Steadyhands
15-11-2010, 10:34pm
I've let other AP members borrow my 100mm Macro at a meet while I use the 180L. See if you can get a macro meet together in your city, that way you can see how each lens performs if you get a few different ones turn up and some willing AP members.