PDA

View Full Version : D7000 Video

RRRoger
14-11-2010, 2:14am
What are your experiences-advise?

I shot my first D7000 video last Sunday.
I choose 1280x720 at 30fps because that is what Sony Vegas Studio converts to anyway when you make a DVD for TV.
I used an AF-S Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 lens for indoor low light and range.
I used a Audio-technica boom mic with very good sound results.
I could not use my Tascam because I could not turn off the in-camera amplifier.
The full time AutoFocus worked exceptionally well in tracking my subject around the stage until the Pastor started walking rapidly back and forth, to and fro, and waving his hands around at the same time.
Then my lens started pumping.
This not only ruined the video but the sound of the lens was picked up as well.
Next Sunday, I will try a fixed lens.

Eberbachl
14-11-2010, 2:21am
How about trying manual focus?

Wayne
14-11-2010, 7:00am
I have seen a few now from the D7000, and when used with an AF-S lens and a moving subject, it seems that the mic always picks up the AF noise prominently.

I @ M
14-11-2010, 7:10am
What are your experiences-advise?

No experience but I reckon if you want good quality video, you should buy a good quality video camera.

RRRoger
14-11-2010, 12:22pm
How about trying manual focus?

I can understand using manual focus for a special portrait or landscape photo, not otherwise.
I tried manual focus on my 5D2 and did not like it.
I doubt if the D7000 would be any easier.
Besides, I am not making a Video to sell, only to give away.
And, I want to be able to enjoy the music, singing, and sermon, not just play with the camera.

As to reply #4 I've owned several video cameras and never took a segment as long as 20 minutes.
I prefer the videos from the D90, 5D2, D3100.
As sure as I work this problem out, I am sure I will like the D7000 movies best.

Eberbachl
14-11-2010, 12:29pm
No experience but I reckon if you want good quality video, you should buy a good quality video camera.

I think that's a misguided comment.

:)

I don't mean any offense, but modern DSLRs with video can produce stunning results, and compare well with video rigs costing tens of thousands of dollars. They're being used extensively by indie film makers and many other professional applications.

I'm no cinematographer... I'm not sure that I'll ever use the video mode on my DSLRs, 'cause that's not really what I'm into, but to suggest that you need to buy a "good quality video camera" if you want quality video is inaccurate and misguided. DSLRs will do the job EXTREMELY well.

:)

I think the auto focus issue depends on your application... real filmmakers don't use auto focus... Autofocus is for Mums and Dads doing a quick home movie in the back yard. If you want to get serious you should research follow focus methods.

RRRoger
18-11-2010, 2:33am
I am not selling my Videos so the D7000 even in my hands produces more than good enough results.
My second try turned out a lot better.
I used a 50 f/1.8 prime lens.
It still tried to pump until I switched from Live view movie mode AF-F to AF-S.
Problem solved! :)
The D7000 still tracks a moving object within the LCD screen without moving the TriPod head.
The sound quality thru the stereo boom mic is very good with no more lens noise.

I will try the (just arrived) AF-S Nikkor 35 f/1.8 next Sunday.
I may also try a zoom lens again for video.

I may also try turning the EV down to -0.3 or -0.7 as the video is a little too bright.
I think this is default in Nikon's effort to raise the ISO capability.

notahonda
25-11-2010, 3:01pm

mate, i hope you have something to back that up. Did you know the last season of the TV show house was filmed with a Canon 5d Mk II ?
http://philipbloom.net/2010/04/10/house-season-finale-shot-entirely-with-canon-5dmkii/

RRRoger
26-11-2010, 3:38am
I did my 3rd D7000 movie last Sunday.
Before going to Church, I had a chance to play with the 35 f/1.8
It was very good inside my unlit house but I decided to use the 17-35 instead.
Conclusion: Best video yet.
No pumping with movie mode set at AF-S.
No lens noises at all.

Now, how do we get a DVD movie for TV that is not blown out and such degraded quality?
I use Sony Vegas Premier Studio HD Platinum 10 with poor results except for an exceptionally good 185gb AVI file.
And View NX2 only creates a MOV file up to 30 minutes with no conversion for TV viewing.

I have not been able to create any thing useful at all with Adobe Premier Pro CS5 & Encore.
It seems the learning curve and movie process is a very long curve.
Perhaps you can share your set up if successful?

ricktas
26-11-2010, 5:46am
I think you are asking about video on the wrong forum, this is Ausphotography, not ausvideo. You will probably find you get more help regarding video on a video forum.

RRRoger
26-11-2010, 11:38am
I think you are asking about video on the wrong forum, this is Ausphotography, not ausvideo. You will probably find you get more help regarding video on a video forum.

Thanks Rick

I did not know there was an ausvideo

ricktas
26-11-2010, 12:05pm
no idea if there is, it was a play on words. Just saying that you might find better answers re video editing software on a video forum.