PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I put down the order. Sweat

larrywen
13-11-2010, 11:29pm
After one weeks' research, today I went to a meet with some senior photographers and ask their opinions on what camera I should buy and I got totally different opinions.

the first said Canon 1000D is not bad for a beginner.
The second suggest at least Canon 500D
The third one say for a serious players, I should go Canon 7D directly.
Finally one of my friends said 5D mark II is the only right choice.

After some struggle, I finally decided to get Canon 7D.

Now I've put an order at DWI with 7D plus EF-S 18-200mm IS Len plus Canon Speedlite 430EX II plus a some cards and bettary.

The total cost is $2661 maybe still need to pay the GST.

Finally, the searching game is over. Now I can have a peaceful heart to wait my gears come to me hopefully, safe and in good condition.

Sweat:beer_mug:

Thank you all for give me good suggestions.

Allann
13-11-2010, 11:39pm
Congrats Larry, you'll love it. Now the fun begins.

Mary Anne
13-11-2010, 11:48pm
That's a great set-up you have ordered and a good choice of camera Congratulations and may you have many years of enjoyment from it all..

Rod038
14-11-2010, 6:55am
Yes a good set up. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

larrywen
14-11-2010, 7:12am
Congrats Larry, you'll love it. Now the fun begins.
Thank you Allann, thank you for your suggestions and many good tips on composition. For me there is a long jouney to go and I am happy that I can have some good friends and teachers like you around me.

kiwi
14-11-2010, 7:24am
Sweet

in2fx
14-11-2010, 7:37am
Nice combo, you're gonna have fun :)

WhoDo
14-11-2010, 8:14am
Sweet

Yes, sweet that he's sweating on its arrival, eh kiwi? :p Or should that be "swot", mate? :lol:

Roosta
14-11-2010, 11:03am
Well sweat choice Larry, One thing that was recommended to me via the Canon Forum was a Learning Book and DVD package that makes light work of your new gear. If you goto the FISHPOND link (Site Sponsor at top of the AusPhoto page, Sponsors Tab) search for "Magic Lantern 7D" in the search tab on Fishpond page,there you'll find the Book, or the Book and DVD package (I strongly recommend the DVD package, but that a personal choice). Good price, and with the DVD, you can sit in-front of your TV or Computer and it guides you throught all the goodies your camera has got. By all the reports i've read and others feedback on the Canon Forum, there's been none that's negative.

You'll also find this site a terrific tool and handy for bouncing ideas and gaining good advice, also put up some pics and get some free CC...

Have fun and post some shots. Welcolme to the "worldofEOS.com.au" is a useful site for us Canon user's... :th3:

41jas
14-11-2010, 11:49am
That's the thing with people trying to suggest and help...not knowing what the persons budget is or where they want to go with it.
You have chosen a good choice. Now the expenses begin...that's the fun part. Enjoy! See you at the next meet.

PH005
14-11-2010, 12:31pm
Yes, sweet that he's sweating on its arrival, eh kiwi? :p Or should that be "swot", mate? :lol:

No Waz.. "SWOT" is what we (KIWIS) did to the Kangaroos last night. Oh that was sooooo good. :D

Eberbachl
14-11-2010, 12:34pm
Nice work larrywen!

I bet you can't wait for it to arrive!

I was looking at DWI at some lenses the other day.

:eek:

Their prices are ridiculous cheap!!!

Let us know how the order goes.

:)

Coriena
14-11-2010, 3:46pm
You'll love the 7D Larry, it's a wonderful camera :)

Can't wait to see the photos :D

whatistheuse
14-11-2010, 4:25pm
Congrats on the purchase! Let us know how you go with the camera and lenses - I'm also thinking of getting a 7D.

Tried a 400 the other weekend. Pretty cool.

Handy tips here re DVDs and books! Thanks guys.

peterking
14-11-2010, 4:25pm
Congats on the choice and welcome to the 7D group. There's a few of us on here now so you'll get lots of help. I fully agree with Roosta about the books. It has helped me quite a bit.
And yes Julie you are right. The expenses really started once I go the camera and realised I needed a new Tripod, another card, bigger bag, different lens and so on and so on and the credit card looks very sick! But it's all good fun.

Kerro
14-11-2010, 4:43pm
Nice choice Larrywen. Bought my 7D 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it.

Analog6
14-11-2010, 4:49pm
Sounds like a good setup of body and lens to get going. You have a steep learning curve but it is lots of fun too.

midnightexpress1
14-11-2010, 4:57pm
Good choice mate,welcome to the canon club :D:th3:

mongo
14-11-2010, 5:12pm
the smart choice.

larrywen
14-11-2010, 7:30pm
Nice work larrywen!

I bet you can't wait for it to arrive!

I was looking at DWI at some lenses the other day.

:eek:

Their prices are ridiculous cheap!!!

Let us know how the order goes.

:)

sure

larrywen
14-11-2010, 8:18pm
Well sweat choice Larry, One thing that was recommended to me via the Canon Forum was a Learning Book and DVD package that makes light work of your new gear. If you goto the FISHPOND link (Site Sponsor at top of the AusPhoto page, Sponsors Tab) search for "Magic Lantern 7D" in the search tab on Fishpond page,there you'll find the Book, or the Book and DVD package (I strongly recommend the DVD package, but that a personal choice). Good price, and with the DVD, you can sit in-front of your TV or Computer and it guides you throught all the goodies your camera has got. By all the reports i've read and others feedback on the Canon Forum, there's been none that's negative.

You'll also find this site a terrific tool and handy for bouncing ideas and gaining good advice, also put up some pics and get some free CC...

Have fun and post some shots. Welcolme to the "worldofEOS.com.au" is a useful site for us Canon user's... :th3:

Thank you Roosta,

I checked amazon and find another book called "David Busch's Canon EOS 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography", which has received very good reviews.

Finally, I ordered two books from fishpond. The book in fishpond is more expensive than amazon, but fishpond provides free delivery so the total price is slightly cheaper and quicker.

Thanks again for the the great suggestion, I will definitely have enough homework to do during this Christmas :D

Roosta
14-11-2010, 8:27pm
Thank you Roosta,

I checked amazon and find another book called "David Busch's Canon EOS 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography", which has received very good reviews.

Finally, I ordered two books from fishpond. The book in fishpond is more expensive than amazon, but fishpond provides free delivery so the total price is slightly cheaper and quicker.

Thanks again for the the great suggestion, I will definitely have enough homework to do during this Christmas :D

Good one Larry, The plug for FISHPOND, is so AUSphoto gets commision from users that make purchases through this sites link, thats why I pluged it, Help Rick keep this great site kicking over.

Once again, Have fun.

sirbongo
14-11-2010, 10:12pm
Sweet setup dude,
just a side question regarding DWI, how are they with mail order? are they ok?
cheers

Bercy
15-11-2010, 12:17am
I got a bit stuffed around by DWI but hopefully, as you are not getting anything too exotic, it all arrives and you can fill up you hard drive with too many pictures to count.

larrywen
17-11-2010, 4:04pm
Now the camera is in Sydney.

I track the shipment once every half hour, but it seems there is no progress in 6 hours.

The activity is In transit. Location is Alexandria, Detail is Package available for clearance.
It has been in this status since 9:45am. I always hope it may reach me today, but it seems less and less likely. :(

grauniad
18-11-2010, 12:28am
Congratulations Larry. Now you can start teaching me! While you're in spending mode, I strongly recommend you also buy the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens for only another $125, so you can take shallow depth-of-field portraits! Your 18-200mm lens is probably too slow for this, unless you're very far from your subject.
Rodney

blissful
18-11-2010, 12:50pm
The Canon manual is not too bad for information but it is so darn small. Also the 7D I purchased from DWI had a Japanese manual and a small photocopied English version.

One handy hint I found was to download the PDF of the 7D manual from Canon and print it on A4 paper - so much easier to read at that size that I actually read it right through. You can download it from this page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#BrochuresAndManuals

Scroll down to the eos7d-im2-en.pdf and download.

And great choice of camera - I'm really starting to enjoy mine now I'm getting a handle on some of the many functions.

Bercy
18-11-2010, 1:33pm
Is it here yet ..is it here yet!!!

grauniad
18-11-2010, 6:25pm
Remember to charge the battery fully before using the camera. You can read the manual while the battery's charging!

grauniad
18-11-2010, 7:03pm
Larry, Check out this thread which describes a useful DVD for new 7D owners:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?56693-Users-Guide-to-the-Canon-7D-short-review

larrywen
18-11-2010, 8:18pm
Congratulations Larry. Now you can start teaching me! While you're in spending mode, I strongly recommend you also buy the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens for only another $125, so you can take shallow depth-of-field portraits! Your 18-200mm lens is probably too slow for this, unless you're very far from your subject.
Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Thank you very much for taking me into this field.

Today, finally, the camera is delivered into my home, with two small items missing because they are run out of stock. The company will delivery them to me once they are available.

So far I am happy with the service of DWI.

I just tried the new camera. It is so big and heavy compared with my G11.

I am going to purchase a tripod and a bag tomorrow then start my journey :)

larrywen
18-11-2010, 8:20pm
Larry, Check out this thread which describes a useful DVD for new 7D owners:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?56693-Users-Guide-to-the-Canon-7D-short-review

I've ordered two books about 7D and they are on the way.