PDA

View Full Version : Easter Camping trip 2011

41jas
13-11-2010, 10:41pm
I know its a while away but Easter books out real fast. This year we have an extra day due to the Anzac holiday.

Easter falls on Friday 22nd April 2011. Have up to Tuesday as holidays.

A couple of us have decided to go to Girraween National Park (http://www.rymich.com/girraween/). The site is here to look at. There is a link to book on line (https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iaparks/gds/IAGDS050.jsp?quickParkId=12).

If you are interested I'd be booking as soon as you can. It goes on how many people are allowed in the park. Once you are there it's find your spot. No sites are allocated. There are hot showers(free) and loos(I think they flush). For van's there are spots posted for them but if we know how many are going we can save places close together.

If you are interested, you HAVE to book prior to going....and early. Fills fast. Even if it's months away for that time of year.

There are 2 camp sites in Girraween. The one we are going to and recommended by the guy I rang was "Castle Rock" campground. You turn off the highway into Girraween National Park camping grounds. Bald Rock Creek Camp ground is first and he said go 200m past that one to "Castle Rock". That's the one we will be at.

It's bush camping. No power. You can have fires in the BBQ pits but you have to supply your own wood. Gas cookers are probably a must.

Lots to see and do there. Explore the giant granite boulders, walks, falls and winerys. Tenterfield and Stanthorp are close by. Tenterfield has plenty to look at. Maybe we can organise a lunch in there one day.

So if you are interested, book and tell us so we can save an area as a group.

Wongi Waterholes was a great meet last year. Lots of us went to that. I'm sure this could be even better.

larrywen
13-11-2010, 11:14pm
Do we need to have our own tents or they have tents so we can rent?

41jas
13-11-2010, 11:19pm
Larry, you have to take everything yourself.

41jas
13-11-2010, 11:21pm
We do have a huge tarp we will put up as extra shelter like last time. So you will have a dry/cool area where we usually meetup and socialize.

Ian
14-11-2010, 2:22pm
Hi ya Jas, put me down as very interested. have three man tent, have bow up matteress, have a lean-to, have me and camera gear( i think:umm::scrtch::lol2::D) all i have to do is get permission from minister of entertainment and finance. so i'll leave it as tentively very interested for the time being. it has been over ten years since in the area last. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

castaway
14-11-2010, 3:01pm
Hi Jas
I know we've been in hideing a lot lately but we would love to come along.
I'll have my son with this time but I'm not sure about Shayn .She finally got her aprentiship as a chef (yay) and may get stuck working.
I should have my fourbie on the road by then to.But put me down as pretty definate.seeya

41jas
14-11-2010, 3:45pm
I have just booked...

5 less counting us 2, 7 have been booked from yesterday. From 350 people at one time in the 2 camp sites, there is 202 people left allowed to book. So if you really want to go I'd be booking to save your spot. Easter is a busy time and with camping being bigger than ever, positions go fast.

When you do book...please let me know you have so I can save that amount of sites. We plan on getting there early the Friday.

41jas
14-11-2010, 3:47pm
Ian I'm sure you will be allowed out. It will be good if you can join us. x

Michael, So glad you are coming...Just let me know when you have booked ok.

Thanks..x

Jacs14
14-11-2010, 7:36pm
Go camping with you bunch of crazy people again??????????????? :cool: HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!:lol: I'm in and booked :efelant::beer_mug::animal3::banana:

DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal

41jas
14-11-2010, 9:05pm
Glad to hear Jac and thanks for doing the definite list for me. :th3:

larrywen
14-11-2010, 10:32pm
I've booked for three nights (22nd to 25th) with my family. 4 people in total. My wife, me and two sons.

When I made the booking, there is a field called group name. I have filled "AP", not sure if it is the right group name, or doesn't matter.

Have fun:)

MarkChap
14-11-2010, 11:34pm
Would love to join in, but I think it is a bit far out for me to confirm that I can get Easter off work.
And it is a long drive all the way down there, google is telling me 850 ish kilometres, so 9-10 hour drive.
I think I will pass and wait for the next one

castaway
15-11-2010, 12:14am
looks like it will be four of us I'll book on thursday
this should be fun

41jas
15-11-2010, 9:56pm
I've booked for three nights (22nd to 25th) with my family. 4 people in total. My wife, me and two sons.

When I made the booking, there is a field called group name. I have filled "AP", not sure if it is the right group name, or doesn't matter.

Have fun:)
I was meant to say the group name. "AP" is fine but I put "AusPhotography".

Would love to join in, but I think it is a bit far out for me to confirm that I can get Easter off work.
And it is a long drive all the way down there, google is telling me 850 ish kilometres, so 9-10 hour drive.
I think I will pass and wait for the next one
Yeah it is a long drive for you Mark. I know you like camping to. Sorry but I'm sure there will be a next time. :)

looks like it will be four of us I'll book on thursday
this should be fun
Glad you are all coming. Plenty to do. Let us know when booked.

41jas
15-11-2010, 9:57pm
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal

Allann
15-11-2010, 10:59pm
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal

41jas
16-11-2010, 8:35am
Oh good Allan. :D
From 2 days ago there was 209 now only 182 people left. Looks like it goes fast.

powellbruce
16-11-2010, 8:41am
Registering interest Probably book in the next week or so if I go

41jas
17-11-2010, 2:52pm
Down to 190...that's 19 people since last week. BOOK NOW!!!

Kuzzie
18-11-2010, 1:49am
I just went there to tentatively check and the Sat and Sun nights are fully booked already, so looks like a no to anyone that hasn't booked already. Does anyone know if there is a motel anywhere near there or cabins?????

OzzieTraveller
18-11-2010, 7:18am
G'day jas

put 2 more down [phil & alayne] as 'interested' - need to double-check my sched before booking

Regards, Phil

41jas
18-11-2010, 7:57am
I just went there to tentatively check and the Sat and Sun nights are fully booked already, so looks like a no to anyone that hasn't booked already. Does anyone know if there is a motel anywhere near there or cabins?????

I just checked Noels and there are still 190 places left. Have you got the right date. Click on the "book on line" link (whick I've made in the #1 post) and fill in the date, number of days, Calculate and check availability and the calendar will show for that month with numbers in each date. That shows the number of people count allowed to camp there at the two camp sites at one time.
Remembering.....we will be camping at the "castle rock" campground. Which is suppose to be 200m past the first one which is called "bald rock creek" campground. So it's find a spot when you get there. You don't get an allocated spot. It's just a number count.

41jas
18-11-2010, 8:02am
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Noelene
Phil & Alayne

*Noelene...Green shows fully booked...Yellow will show the amount of places left available.

in2fx
18-11-2010, 6:22pm
I would love to do Girraween National Park, but will be in New Zealand that weekend..... Bugger!

41jas
19-11-2010, 7:59am
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Noelene
Phil & Alayne
Bruce

OzzieTraveller
19-11-2010, 11:00pm
G'day Jas

Phil & Alayne have booked & paid

Regards, Phil

41jas
20-11-2010, 2:52pm
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Noelene
Bruce

41jas
20-11-2010, 2:53pm
Glad to see you can make it Phil. It will be great to meet you. :)

David
23-11-2010, 7:06am
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Noelene
Bruce

As you can see Jules, I have booked a site for me and Raeann: she is coming this time around. Looking forward to this one : Wongi was a blast and Mount Barney wasn't too shabby either.

41jas
23-11-2010, 8:53am
DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Bruce

So glad to hear you coming David and with Raeann. Now she knows us she will be right. You are right, our camping trips are great fun. Must be if everyone still wants to come......Allan and I thought of getting that AP Banner made up so we can display our group.
I took Noelene off the list...she can't make that weekend.

41jas
26-11-2010, 7:12pm
I just looked at the sites availabilities and from 350 people allowed....it's down to 162.
Seems to be filling fast. That's why I decided to do this early. It must be a good place.
So if you want to come you better think about it and book real soon.

GregoryH
27-11-2010, 5:05pm
Hi All, Deb and i have just booked in as well:

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs & Paul
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Bruce

Jacs14
28-11-2010, 4:51pm
we are now three!!! A friend of mine Caren is tagging along too! :D

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
Jacs, Paul & Caren
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Bruce

41jas
02-12-2010, 9:20am
Wow...from 350 places...There is only 135 left already.
More the merrier Jac.

larrywen
02-12-2010, 10:40am
Wow...from 350 places...There is only 135 left already.
More the merrier Jac.
Julie, how do you know how many vancancy left?

41jas
02-12-2010, 8:04pm
Larry...I just go in as if I was making a booking and instead of booking I add the dates and see "availabilities". In the square of the date there is a number and that number tells you how many more people are allowed to come...It's just so it's not over crowded and the facilities can cope. It starts off at 350 and this morning it was down to 135.

OzzieTraveller
02-12-2010, 8:09pm
G'day Julie

I presume "the authorities" will (try to) put all of us-mob somewhere together???

Regards, Phil

41jas
02-12-2010, 8:47pm
No Phil. It's where ever you can get. GregoryH is going there on Thursday and will save a few spots....Maybe-we can ask people if they need a van site or a tent site. Greg will save where he can, but we plan on gettig there at sunrise Friday.

41jas
02-12-2010, 8:50pm
DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Jacs, Paul & Caren
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Bruce

ADD HOW YOU ARE CAMPING SO WE CAN TRY AND SAVE ENOUGH PLACES....TOGETHER, IF WE CAN.

41jas
02-12-2010, 8:51pm
I will be looking at Christmas on the way home from my mothers. We drive right past it. I will take some photos and add them to them here.

Jacs14
03-12-2010, 7:52am
DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Jacs, Paul & Caren - TENT
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
Micheal
Bruce

ADD HOW YOU ARE CAMPING SO WE CAN TRY AND SAVE ENOUGH PLACES....TOGETHER, IF WE CAN.

We may yet change our dates and go up on Thursday too{still plenty of places for the thurs}, otherwise we will be there early Friday too, and help save spaces. For those who are still a maybe or thinking I wouldn't leave too long to confirm, down to 128 now and I imagine if there are any spaces left after Xmas they'll go pretty much straight away.

Really looking forward to this, thanks for organising it Jules.

41jas
03-12-2010, 8:09am
wow down to 128 already. It is going fast hey Jac. I'm glad I arranged this so early. Gives others time to work out if they can come or not.
Not a worry Jac.

larrywen
03-12-2010, 7:26pm
No Phil. It's where ever you can get. GregoryH is going there on Thursday and will save a few spots....Maybe-we can ask people if they need a van site or a tent site. Greg will save where he can, but we plan on gettig there at sunrise Friday.

That will be fantistic. :)

Jacs14
03-12-2010, 11:00pm
Our numbers may change yet again, not sure if the rest of gang may join us for the day or stay overnight yet; Paul has just found out there is a dirtbike park 30-40min drive from where we are camping ... so the kids may drive down and meet up with us and we'll go off for one of the days with the bikes. So if anyone wants to join or meet us out there for some sport photography aswell you're more than welcomed.
This really is shaping up to be an awesome weekend ;)

41jas
03-12-2010, 11:03pm
Ivan was wondering about bike riding for Paul. You can't do it in the national park but I'm glad you found somewhere to enjoy himself as well. PLUS, I'd love to give photography a bash at dirt bike riding.

41jas
06-12-2010, 9:41pm
They are down to 118 people left to go. Going fast so if you are coming please come and join in with some AP camping fun. :D

41jas
08-12-2010, 4:34pm
They are down to 118 people left to go. Going fast so if you are coming please come and join in with some AP camping fun. :D

Down to 110

Ian
08-12-2010, 10:42pm
i'm still interested but not sure if i am going to make it. if i miss out, i miss out ian

41jas
13-12-2010, 12:57am
down to 98 places left

OzzieTraveller
13-12-2010, 5:54am
G'day Jules

ya know ... this bit of 140 > 110 > 98 left worries me
as a bloke (with his shiela) who likes peace & quiet and usually goes bush to not see anyone ... this upcoming weekend is gunna be a bit of a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

btw - as we'll be with you while on the road with workshops, we'll have all the workshop gear with us, incl projector & screen ... so it's quite poss that we can put up our AP efforts as slide-shows at night. [depends on the mozzies too]

Regards, Phil

41jas
13-12-2010, 11:10am
G'day Jules

as a bloke (with his shiela) who likes peace & quiet and usually goes bush to not see anyone ... this upcoming weekend is gunna be a bit of a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

btw - as we'll be with you while on the road with workshops, we'll have all the workshop gear with us, incl projector & screen ... so it's quite poss that we can put up our AP efforts as slide-shows at night. [depends on the mozzies too]

Regards, Phil

I'm the same with the peace and quiet but our last camping trip with AP was so much fun, that's why I invited you all again.
There's still bush around us to escape but it seems at night we'll be a community to have a few laughs.
The projector idea sounds an awesome idea. Mmmm and with no editing...LOL

Allann
13-12-2010, 11:44am
ya know ... this bit of 140 > 110 > 98 left worries me, as a bloke (with his shiela) who likes peace & quiet

Me too, I'll be bringing ear plugs this year ;)

we'll have all the workshop gear with us, incl projector & screen ... so it's quite poss that we can put up our AP efforts as slide-shows at night. [depends on the mozzies too]

That sounds like a great idea, great way to share images and critique them on a big screen before processing. Terrific way to learn.

Jacs14
13-12-2010, 10:11pm
G'day Jules

Regards, Phil

Does sound like large numbers, but the numbers are spread out over 2 different camp sites, plus it looks more of a family site rather than young party crowds {:oops: not sure how AP fits in :lol2::efelant::lol:} so I think we will still be able to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.
Large screen to view and critique, great :th3: {but scary for some of us :umm::Doh::o}

larrywen
14-12-2010, 1:23pm
So the camp does have power supply to power the projector?

41jas
14-12-2010, 2:12pm
So the camp does have power supply to power the projector?

No power but I'm sure Phil has a good set up to even suggest it.

OzzieTraveller
14-12-2010, 8:06pm
G'day Larry

Good Q mate ... several things here
the motorhome has solar panels & 2 large house batteries that can run lots of stuff [tho there are limits to everything]
the inverter should be able to run the projector for an hour or two each night ~ providing there's enough sunlight thru the day to replenish the batteries from the night before

I am making the presumption that as a group we'll be close enough to set up together [ie: without too many others getting in the way] AND that the projetor & screen will be attached to the motorhome when in use

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

41jas
17-12-2010, 9:02pm
Yeah we will save some places and try and be together as much as we can.
Down to 86 places left

41jas
23-12-2010, 11:40pm
Update to places left are 72.

bigjobs
24-12-2010, 8:47pm
The Bald Rock campsite has a large grassy section down the end, which is ideal for large groups (tents only), so if you can get there early you might be able to save a few spots.

I was out there last Easter with family and friends, and we set up about 7 large tents and a couple of gazebos for meals etc. and this area was perfect.

You may need to organise a few of you to arrive super early though, just to make sure you get the spot.
We got there on the Thursday, along with some friends, and saved spots with no worries.

If the weather is nice you'll love it, so much to do and see.
Hopefully it dries up a bit between now and then though, I had a close call in my Father-in-law's Hilux last time ;)

41jas
24-12-2010, 10:41pm
I'm heading that way tomorrow but calling in on the way home on Wednesday. I'm going to take a look at the ground and take some photos and post them here when I get back.
Some of us are taking vans and need an area that will take both. I'll just have a look around and see what it's like. If not we'll have to have a meeting point for night talks or something. I have a huge tarp we will try and set up so we can all have shelter. I'll find a place thats good for that but Greg is going down a day before so he can save some places before we all get there.
Yeah this weather is a bit crazy. It's a few months away so hopfully the rains has well and truely gone by then. Fingers crossed. We've had enough. Looks like we are going to have a wet Christmas.

41jas
29-12-2010, 7:42pm
I called into here today on the way past. "Castle Rock" camp ground where we decided to go is way better than the other one. More level and larger. The other one is more bush camping for tents.
So "Castle Rock" is 8km in from the turnoff off the New England Highway on the right, past the first campground. 6km past Ballandeen. I will draw a mud map to where abouts I think is the better spots but really, I wouldn't care where we get. With it being a busy time of year, all we can do is try and save spots for everyone to be around the same area.
Looks like there are 40 places left for Fri/Sat and 52 for Sun. Plenty more for the other days.
I will draw a mud map up now and post it so you understand the way the grounds are layed out. I will post that soon.

41jas
29-12-2010, 9:01pm
Link to Girraween National Park (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.850087,151.906929&spn=0.066156,0.126343&t=h&z=13)
With the link here to the park. As you can see the area called "Wyberba". The turn off is as you can see on the map from the highway which is 6km out of Ballendeen. To the campground is 8km from this turnoff. There is a T section which is well sign posted and just keep following it and is on the right hand side 250m past the first campground which is on the left hand side (which is rougher and the one we don't want) The one we want is larger and more level. Called "Castle rock" Right hand side.

"mud map" as shown

I'm easy to where we park our bums but having some with vans and some with tents, I'm thinking the area right at the end so we can have the tents close by. There are really only 2 bays there because one in washed out really bad.
OR
The bays where you can fit 2-3 vans in or even tents alongside, closer to the tent area to the center of the park where you first drive in so we can try and be all together there as well. They are drive through and should fit in easy 2-3 there. Shaded there as well.

The van bays to the left hand side are for small vans but might do if needed and still near the tents for the others. It also depends what is left and the times people arrives but I'm sure Greg will save a few spots if he can. Maybe put up signs to save spots???? Either that or get out the shotgun...LOL

The first ones there have the choice. None are allocated I just thought I'd draw a "rough" map to give you an idea of the layout.

We plan on getting there at daylight to help save some spots to try and be together.

If there is anything else just ask. :th3:

Jacs14
30-12-2010, 10:05am
Still not sure which way we are doing this, either we will be there for first light aswell on the Friday, or we may still change our booking and go up on the Thurs afternoon, so there will hopefully be a few of us to save some spots, we'll just spread out till others get there ;) :lol:

41jas
30-12-2010, 10:20pm
I'm sure what ever happens we'll all have a great time. I wish it would hurry up.

castaway
31-12-2010, 3:13pm
Finally booked in. We'll be there on the friday heading home on the tuesday.
Not sure which of the kids will be there .Probably my son Alex.
Well I'm all syked up for this one after Mount Barney cant wait till were on our way

41jas
31-12-2010, 7:53pm
Finally booked in. We'll be there on the friday heading home on the tuesday.
Not sure which of the kids will be there .Probably my son Alex.
Well I'm all syked up for this one after Mount Barney cant wait till were on our way

Good to hear Michael. I was going to contact you this weekend. Glad to hear you are coming. The area is awesome. I can't wait.

41jas
31-12-2010, 8:10pm
Friday and Saturday are booked out......22 left for Sunday.
I told you we had to be fast. Well looks as if it's who's going is going.

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn - TENT
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN
Michael - TENT/UTE

castaway
31-12-2010, 8:44pm
I might be bringing a poptop camper this time go in a little style for a change and hopefully my new fourbie if I have it finished by then.
I'm glad i got in today and booked tho

41jas
31-12-2010, 8:52pm
DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn - TENT
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN
Michael - VAN

I'll put VAN down for you so we can keep those places suited saved for you ok. How many were left when you booked today Michael?

OzzieTraveller
01-01-2011, 8:32am
G'day Jules

Seeing that you are adding 'van / tent' etc to each name, could you pl add 'MH' to our names

Regards, Phil

Jacs14
01-01-2011, 11:47am
Friday and Saturday are booked out......22 left for Sunday.
I told you we had to be fast. Well looks as if it's who's going is going.

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn - TENT
Phil & Alayne
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN
Michael - TENT/UTE

It did go quick, nice crowd, really looking forward to it after a wet and pretty flat Xmas :D

41jas
01-01-2011, 4:55pm
DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Larry & family
Allan & Kathryn - TENT
Phil & Alayne - MH
David and Raeann
Greg & Debbie - VAN
Michael - VAN

There you go phil. Who ever gets there first and saves mainly for the vans since they are the hardest to get all in the same area. Tents will fit around them.
So looks like 4 vans. In the long bays you should squeeze a few vans in there and have the tents nearby. I'm sure it will all work out.
Phil, I will look up some info for you and email it to you on the area tomorrow.

41jas
22-01-2011, 12:30am
Ivan and I were thinking of all these camping trips we've been on with AP. This should be our 7th trip counting this one.
unless I've missed one.

1. The Darlings Downs. Sight seeing and freezing cold but were lucky we stayed at a warmer night. First star trails around the camp fire. great company. We didn't want to leave. It was just Allan and us 2.

2. Queens Mary Falls. Driving around the surrounding areas and falls.

3. At Kirstys (yummymummy) shooting sunflowers.

4. SS Dickie Caravan Park. Beaches and the SS Dickie itself. Rained that night.

5. Mt. Barny. Arrived at Temps of -2 degrees and white. But days were awesome. Unreal fun.

6. Wongi Waterholes. Unreal fun.

Looking forward to this trip so much. Looks like they have closed the roads into there at the moment but there are 3 months before we are in there.

MarkChap
22-01-2011, 3:15am
I think you have missed Bunya Mountains Jules

41jas
22-01-2011, 8:57am
aww yeah. I was sitting here last night trying to think of them all but come to think of it we have really had a great time being a part of AP.

Can't forget "Lake Murphy" Mark. Gezz, they just go on and on.

MarkChap
22-01-2011, 9:04am
of course, that was a good weekend

41jas
22-01-2011, 9:07am
yeah we loved it there. So relaxing. Even though I couldn't brown my chicken because I didn't listen to Noelene...LOL

Ian
22-01-2011, 5:19pm
hi all, shame i am going to miss this one, are there any chances of more sometime down the track? somewhere in the middle? just a thought. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

41jas
22-01-2011, 5:33pm
Ivan and I want to head out to Jondaryan Wool shed one day. That will be closer for you.

Ian
22-01-2011, 11:19pm
Ivan and I want to head out to Jondaryan Wool shed one day. That will be closer for you.

thumbs-up :th3: on that one. let us know when. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

41jas
06-03-2011, 2:44pm
:crike: 7 weeks to go!!!!!!! :efelant:

chamellieon
19-03-2011, 10:18am
I've had an easter opening. Might pop down for a day or so... looking at getting me a dome swag, if there's any room in anyones tent or something id be keen, otherwise itll just be a daytrip?

41jas
19-03-2011, 2:33pm
I've had an easter opening. Might pop down for a day or so... looking at getting me a dome swag, if there's any room in anyones tent or something id be keen, otherwise itll just be a daytrip?

Always room in our campervan Mel.

41jas
07-04-2011, 9:20am
:crike: Only 2 weeks to go. :D
I'm so looking forward to 5 days of relaxing and walking the bush, with camera. It's going to be great.
I hope everyone else is looking forward to it. We have a few of us going. :efelant:

OzzieTraveller
08-04-2011, 8:14am
G'day Jules et al

just confirming ... on present timetable we'll be on-site from Wed 20th for a week

we'll be able to run the projector for an hour or so each night to display a selection of each day's shooting
To save damage to the expensive screen used in workshops, I am making up a temp screen that will need to be attached to my vehicle during displays [unless someone else's van also has batteries & an 240v inverter to run the projector]

Regards, Phil

larrywen
08-04-2011, 9:49am
I and my son (Jeremy) and my nephew (Hans) will be there on 22nd and stay for three nights. Hope we can find other people easily:)

41jas
09-04-2011, 2:32pm
I and my son (Jeremy) and my nephew (Hans) will be there on 22nd and stay for three nights. Hope we can find other people easily:)

Larry, I will have my ute so it's easy to see. The yellow one with....41JAS number plates. It's not a huge area so you will find us easy. See you then. We'll be heading out on the 22nd nice and early.

41jas
09-04-2011, 2:40pm
G'day Jules et al

just confirming ... on present timetable we'll be on-site from Wed 20th for a week

we'll be able to run the projector for an hour or so each night to display a selection of each day's shooting
To save damage to the expensive screen used in workshops, I am making up a temp screen that will need to be attached to my vehicle during displays [unless someone else's van also has batteries & an 240v inverter to run the projector]

Regards, Phil

I can't wait to meet you Phil.

larrywen
11-04-2011, 4:49pm
Hi Jules, could you please post a google map of the camp area? It will be very helpful. I am afraid that mobile phone may not work at the camp area.

41jas
11-04-2011, 5:33pm
Link to Girraween National Park (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.850087,151.906929&spn=0.066156,0.126343&t=h&z=13)
With the link here to the park. As you can see the area called "Wyberba". The turn off is as you can see on the map from the highway which is 6km out of Ballendeen. To the campground is 8km from this turnoff. There is a T section which is well sign posted and just keep following it and is on the right hand side 250m past the first campground which is on the left hand side (which is rougher and the one we don't want) The one we want is larger and more level. Called "Castle rock" Right hand side.

"mud map" as shown

I'm easy to where we park our bums but having some with vans and some with tents, I'm thinking the area right at the end so we can have the tents close by. There are really only 2 bays there because one in washed out really bad.
OR
The bays where you can fit 2-3 vans in or even tents alongside, closer to the tent area to the center of the park where you first drive in so we can try and be all together there as well. They are drive through and should fit in easy 2-3 there. Shaded there as well.

The van bays to the left hand side are for small vans but might do if needed and still near the tents for the others. It also depends what is left and the times people arrives but I'm sure Greg will save a few spots if he can. Maybe put up signs to save spots???? Either that or get out the shotgun...LOL

The first ones there have the choice. None are allocated I just thought I'd draw a "rough" map to give you an idea of the layout.

We plan on getting there at daylight to help save some spots to try and be together.

If there is anything else just ask. :th3:

Larry...here is the map again. I reposted it. Zoom out to see where the road takes you. It is well sign posted so you can't miss it. If you have gone to Tenterfield you have gone too far ;)
Turn off the highway and just keep following the signs. Just remember "OUR" campsite is on the right hand side "PAST" the first one which is on the left. Just read and you will be fine.

41jas
11-04-2011, 5:35pm
POST #62 has the mud map of the camp site. It will be busy and we might not be able to all be close together but the ones that are there the day early might be able to save some spots. Especially for the vans coming.

GregoryH
17-04-2011, 4:36pm
Van has been brought around, washed inside and out. Gas bottles full. Batteries on charge (all camera batteries, AA, AAA, 12V van batteries), water tanks cleaned and drinks picked up. I think we are nearly ready to go......

See you all there. I'm hoping to be leaving around 5:30am Thursday.....
Cheers,
Greg

larrywen
17-04-2011, 7:52pm
Just bought a tent and with the help from a neighbor, we have set it up in our backyard. It's beautiful. Can't wait for the day to camp :lol:

OzzieTraveller
18-04-2011, 7:50am
G'day Larry

suggestion if I may - from my tenting days ... before pulling the new tent down, wrap some colour-coded tabs / insulation tape around similar poles so that you can easily sort verticals from horizontals etc etc when you're putting it up again

G'day all ...
We will have a 240v power board connected to the motorhome & available at all times for camera/torch battery recharging. Inside the MH we can recharge AA + AAA + Panasonic batteries as well

Regards, Phil

larrywen
18-04-2011, 8:16am
Thank you very much Phil. Your suggestion is great. I will be careful and do the necessary marking when I pull down the new tent.

Thank you a lot for the offering of recharging batteries. I only have one backup battery for my 7D and my son doesn't have any backup battery for his 1000D. So the capability to recharge will definitely give us a lot peace in our mind.

41jas
18-04-2011, 10:23pm
I can't believe its nearly here..:efelant: :animal3: :party7: and can't forget :lol: :beer_mug: :laughing1: :action25: and more :food04: and of course this :tog: :flowersnap::flash::pentax::banana:

41jas
19-04-2011, 8:44am
Don't forget everyone....as you are driving towards the campgrounds on the main road in......it's the second campground, the one on the right hand side. "Castle Rock". It is sign posted so you should be fine. See you all there. We will try and get all together but if it's busy we will have to go where we can. We will save some spots.

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
Larry & family - TENT
Allan & Kathryn - TENT
Phil & Alayne - MH
Greg & Debbie - VAN
Michael - VAN

There we go...3 Van sites, 1 motorhome, 3 tents

Greg is going to try for the van sites to the left of the tent area so we can be all together. Saving some spots.
We are bringing a large tarp so we can have a communal area if the weather isn't kind. So maybe the tents can go around that.

David can't make it now as he has had a shoulder opperation. Take care David. Going to miss you. :(

41jas
19-04-2011, 9:33am
Looks like Thursday is nearly booked out to, so it looks as if it will be get where you can.

41jas
19-04-2011, 10:32am
Looks like Thursday is nearly booked out to, so it looks as if it will be get where you can.

Some might end up at the other camp ground even. Lets hope not. Lets hope we can save some sites.
If worst come to worst and we have to spread out we can still always meet up. It's not far apart.

Going to be cold to so bring your woolies. It's forcast on Saturday 8-20 degrees.....but fine.

chamellieon
20-04-2011, 10:36am
I'm gonna have to miss this one, making use of the easter motivation and heading further down the coast for a few days
have fun all!

41jas
20-04-2011, 10:41am
Have fun then Mel and Happy Easter

Ian
20-04-2011, 7:10pm
have fun everybody, will be there in spirit, take plenty of photos, most of all have fun. will be at my daughters place over Easter. :food04:: ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

41jas
20-04-2011, 8:09pm
:):)
have fun everybody, will be there in spirit, take plenty of photos, most of all have fun. will be at my daughters place over Easter. :food04:: ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

Happy Easter Pappa Smurf. I'm sure we will have a good time.
I can't believe it's nearly here. For the ones driving there tomorrow...please drive safe.
See you early Friday everyone.
I bet I can't sleep tomrrow night. We might end up leaving earlier than we think..LOL
Just stay safe!!!!:)

dbax
24-04-2011, 11:43am
So looking forward to the posts from this weekend, always wanted to go to Girraween NP :D:D

[ kane ]
24-04-2011, 5:30pm
I'm excited to see how you guys went this weekend.... hope all was good.

Thanks
Kane

larrywen
25-04-2011, 1:15pm
Just come back. I am sorry that we have left very early this morning so we did say goodbye to others.

That is a very successful and great camp. I have leant a lot from it.

First of all, thank Julie for organizing this event. Jacs (and her husband Paul and friends) for helping with the setup of the tent and the trip to the dam. Thanks Allen and Phil for their many good teachings especially their teachings to my son and my nephew. Also, I need to thank Greg for his fancy lighting for the portrait. I have never tried that kind of shooting before. Finally, I'd like to thank all the others for their kindness and the sharing of photos. I am sure this is a very sweet memory which we will all remember in our life.

Haven't have time to process the photos. I will post some when I finish the processing.

Thanks again and I am sure that we will have similar events in the future. :D:D

larrywen
25-04-2011, 9:19pm
A few photos from this trip:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5652825907_bb756d913a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652825907/)
Julie-Ann (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652825907/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5226/5653397648_b9a85527c5_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5653397648/)
jacs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5653397648/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5301/5652826543_f503bf7faf_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652826543/)
greg and the model (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652826543/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5652831361_d85829012b_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652831361/)
fly and flower 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652831361/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5653398844_a16094c69a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5653398844/)
water3 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5653398844/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/5652833467_3236341915_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652833467/)
under ground creek (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652833467/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5652832353_6ddd374aef_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652832353/)
Boat on King Stom Dam River (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_monkey/5652832353/) by Simple Monkey (http://www.flickr.com/people/simple_monkey/), on Flickr

GregoryH
26-04-2011, 8:09am
I'd also like to add my thanks to Jules for organizing the weekend, and to Phil and Allan for all the great advise. I'll post a few images later today.

You have some great images there Larry. I'm glad you liked playing with the strobes.

Jacs14
26-04-2011, 6:07pm
Hey all ... thanks again to Jules for this fantastic weekend, would have liked to have been able to stay longer, but then theres always next time ;):D .... Thanks to everyone for help making it a great fun weekend and again offering tons of help and advice :th3:. Will post some shots later.

41jas
27-04-2011, 7:15pm
What a great weekend. It was worth the 6 month wait.
We got to meet (Phil and Aylane) OzzieTraveller. He entertained us with a slide show of our best shots of the day and helped out where he could.
Met a lovely couple. Friends of Jacqui and Pauls.
Main thing was lots of laughs and a few days of relaxing. I even had 2 days of afternoon nanny naps. Now, that was good.
We went to some winery's. Took some shots around Tenterfield and left Deb in a dress shop. That was dangerous. She was in the "same" dress shop that we left her at and you know what we are like when it comes to taking photos. You could say she bought a few things...!!!
When it was just Ivan and I left for a couple of days...Phil was there to but we did a couple of walks...OMG, my legs, my legs. We climbed Castle Rock...right to the very top.
We were very lucky with the weather. There was only yesterday that the very light misty rain came for short spurts. We had fine weather most of the time.
Now to look through the 2 cards of photos I took. I "just" had enough battery.
Thank you for everyone that came and I think we had a good time.
May there be many more. :)

OzzieTraveller
27-04-2011, 8:58pm
Right on Jules ......

As per others above - thanx again for the organising & the "go for it" smile you always seemed to have

Regards, Phil