PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Lens from HK - Good Idea?

SonjaT
13-11-2010, 9:31am
Hi,
Been researching a lot lately re: purchasing a new lens. Had a look at DWI and B&H. Do DWI selling 'grey' lenses? Are they trust worthy in respect of warranty issues?
i have spoken to Canon and they advised they will cover EF lenses under their international warranty but not 'grey' lenses.
With the current US:AUD exchange rate, purchasing via internet (stores) is almost 50% cheaper then purchasing here in Melbourne in a retail store.
Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards, Sonja

kiwi
13-11-2010, 9:43am
Please do a search on grey imports here

ricktas
13-11-2010, 9:47am
Agree with Darren, there are LOTS of threads on AP about this issue. A search will find your answer.

Basically, it is up to you! There are benefits to grey (cheaper) and also disadvantages (warranty, issues with GST/Customs, and more).

SonjaT
13-11-2010, 10:32am
Thanks guys. Did the search as suggested (and have been reading ever since). Obviously i made the classic newbie mistake (that you guys see everyday!!)

OMG. Didn't realise what an issue this is/can be?

Thanks again.
Regards, Sonja

Roosta
13-11-2010, 12:02pm
Hi Sonja T,

This is an extract from CR Kennedy's web page, well worth a read. Being your in Melbourne you will find an outlet pretty easy, site sponsors come to mind.

Any way,

SIGMA AUSTRALIAN WARRANTY ON GREY IMPORTS

C.R. Kennedy & Co P/L will only undertake warranty repairs on products sourced through us. All products imported directly from overseas and resold are not covered by our warranty. This includes purchases through ebay and through grey importers such as www.camerasdirect.com.au,
www.d-d-photographics.com.au and www.globalmediapro.com.

Mark Harrison from www.camerasdirect.com.au has been directly advised by Sigma Japan that C.R. Kennedy, the only authorised Sigma agent in Australia, will not cover warranty on Sigma products bought through www.camerasdirect.com.au

We will match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet
price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.

These prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=315

Happy shopping.

Bercy
15-11-2010, 12:09am
I have had dealings with CR Kennedy and they are straight shooters and very very reasonable. Had a malfunction on a point and shoot, and there was absolutely no hesitation in dealing with the repair required. Ditto with a genuine Australian Canon video recorder that packed up. Reality is that stuff happens. Now if you're happy to take it on the chin and chuck a defective item in the bin - then that's the risk you take. I bought a bit of garden machinery on line (off topic -sorry!) but it didn't work and the phone call was a waste of 25c. Its happened to friends as well. I have bought E-bay gear -sure, but a lot has come from Photographic Wholesalers here in SA - and pricing is still pretty sharp. As Ric said - you have to factor in all the costs, the time and the risk. Cheers Berni

Wayne
15-11-2010, 10:41pm
Just remember, most HK sellers will help you with customs declarations, and even if the local sole distributor/service centre won't repair an item under warranty, you may have to ship it back to it's country of origin which is only a few $$ each way, so if the saving by buying grey is marginal, then local is the best option, but often we see pro/sumer gear at around 1/2 the local prices, that is alot of postage. You can send a 70-200 back to HK by Aust Post Express Intl for about $75 each way, so you still end up waaaaay in front more often than not.

Most lenses actually have worldwide warranty too...DWI are reputable, I have spent a few thousand $$ there.