PDA

View Full Version : 1 "decent" lens for my first body

silkdiver
11-11-2010, 9:59am
After spending numerous weeks reading & researching, changing my mind 1000 times, and almost buying several times, I have decided to buy a body and 1 lens to get me going. Like many, I have champagne tastes on a beer income!
I am still undecided on 550d, 50d or 60d body... decision to be made hopefully by Sunday. This will be my 1st DSLR as I am leaping up from an Oly 5050

So... which lens

I love macro so I will definitely get a lens later for that, what I need is a decent starter lens.
Landscapes would be my next favourite type of shooting followed by people/portraits. I am looking at the Canon EFS 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM - it's a bit more than what I budgeted for, but am thinking to buy lenses that will last me a long time without the $1000+ tags at this stage.

IMHO there at too may lenses to choose from :D

Bercy
11-11-2010, 10:28am
The 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM has some good cred, but although the range is terrific, especially at the wide end, its not particularly fast, and this might compromise some portrait opportunities. I would suggest you have a look at the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 which also has vibration reduction. I don't have this lens but it was high on my list when purchasing. I don't do a lot of landscapes! With 1.6 sensor crop factor you are getting into a reasonable portrait range, and you have a fast lens to boot. And its half the cost of the Canon. You can then follow through with medium or long telephoto and macro later as budget allows.

Cheers

berni

PH005
11-11-2010, 10:54am
On the body topic. First decide if you really need or want video . There are some good deals going on the 50D now that the 60 is here. Shop around. Your lens choice should be influenced by your genre, ie landscape , birds, sport, ect. If your on a tight budget, just get the body you choose, and a 50mm 1.8. The nifty fifty is a great little lens and will cover a lot of areas, and its fast. Then choose which kind of lens you want next. Take your time now and you will save a lot of money down the track. The 15-85 is a good lens, But, it is still primarilly a kit lens. It sounds like you want to get serious, so you will probably not be happy with the 15-85 later on. You like landscapes so later you will want/need a 10-20 range wide angle. Then you will discard your 15-85. See what I'm getting at ? Your right. There is a lot out there. But you can narrow it down bit by bit. You could not fault a nifty fifty to start off with. Cheap, fast and sharp. Best of Luck.

tek
11-11-2010, 11:17am
I'm in the same predicament. About to buy my first DSLR and have changed my mind on lens about 5 times! And the body well after going from 500D to 550D then to 60D I am now back to 550D so I can spend more on a good lens.

I have most recently settled on likely getting the 15-85 as well because I like the wide end for landscapes whilst still having decent zoom. It should be a versatile lens for me as a main duty lens.

To address the concerns about speed and for portraits work I will subsequently get a 30ish to 50mm prime, possibly the Canon 50mm F1.4 if I can stretch my budget but otherwise the 1.8 is still very good value from all reports.

At a later stage a decent 70-200 will complete my (3) lens setup.

Bromeo
11-11-2010, 11:42am
Get the older Tamron 17-50 non-VC, it's far better and much cheaper.

Roosta
11-11-2010, 12:45pm
Silkdiver, I went through the same decession process. I didn't want video as PH005 has mentioned, I brought the 50D and am more than happy with it, I was per the Can on another old Oly user, The 7D is a great camera, but it was a little more of a stretch for me bucks wise, and it's got video that I didn't want, with that said, you dont have to use it I know. The 60D is getting some bad press of late, try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/ and also http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Reviews.aspx The second one will give you a good read on all recent models and also you can go to the lens section from there. Like I said in the macro link, try Stu from Quality Camera Sales and other site sponsors, They may/should be abler to hook you up a great deal.
?. Do you need/want video
?. FPS (frames per second) do you need fast FPS
?. Will you up-date to Full Frame at a later date
?. Weather proofing, ad that to the lens as well (brings the cost up)

Go and try them in your hand at a good store near you, try sdifferent lenses on the bodies, see what deal you can get, and as mentioned above, (fast lenses smaller F stop I.E F2.8 against F3.5 -) will cost more, but give you better picture quality and react better to more lighting conditions, Landscape, night.low light, sunrise - sunsets.

Good luck with you choice.

Redback51
11-11-2010, 12:59pm
Find the extra cash and get the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. 17-55 equates to 27.2-88mm on a full frame. This is a great lens and my everyday walk-around piece of glass. I use it for everything from reasonable closeups (flowers etc) and portraits to landscapes and anything in between. It's already fast at f/2.8 and the Image Stabiliser further extends the capacity to shoot in low light without a flash. It's just a a great piece of glass...and great lenses are three quarters of great images. Cheers :food04:

mikew09
11-11-2010, 1:29pm
Get the older Tamron 17-50 non-VC, it's far better and much cheaper.

I have to agree - I also have the non VC model and though I can't speak for the new VC model, this one is a very capable and NICE lens for the money. It is not L glass but man, it is as close as you will get without buying "L" and at the price it is excpetional value.

Rod038
11-11-2010, 3:00pm
This is what I did when in your situation a few months back. I bought a 500D twin lens kit. 18-55 and 55-250. These are good enough lenses for a beginner. I also bought a good tripod for Landscapes, which you can also use for your Portrait work.
Then you go out and take photos when ever you can. You will see each time you go out your photos will get better. If down the track you find that these lenses are no longer keeping up with your abilities then you can upgrade.
Its easy to get caught up in all the hype of which lens is better for which situation, but at the end of the day you will still be taking some good photos with your kit lens while you improve your technique and decide on your direction. My direction changes weekly as I discover new subjects to photograph.

Flash Hit
11-11-2010, 3:28pm
I have the TAMRON-SP-AF-17-50MM-F2.8-XR-DI-II-VC-LD-IF (72mm filter diameter) and it's brilliant! - Closeups-Portrait-Landscape.
Local around $750
Grey is around $430 at DWI and $475 at DCTrade who have free shipping and free UV filter (72mm).

silkdiver
11-11-2010, 7:32pm
[QUOTE=Flash Hit;719916]I have the TAMRON-SP-AF-17-50MM-F2.8-XR-DI-II-VC-LD-IF (72mm filter diameter) and it's brilliant! - Closeups-Portrait-Landscape.

I just spent some time looking at this lens, sounds great for a starter ( multi use) lens and within my budget :) TY

silkdiver
11-11-2010, 8:29pm
Originally posted by Roosta
?. Do you need/want video
?. FPS (frames per second) do you need fast FPS
?. Will you up-date to Full Frame at a later date
?. Weather proofing, ad that to the lens as well (brings the cost up)

Video - I will most likely play with it, will I take it further? no idea
FPS - Nice to have but not a necessity
Update to Full Frame - not in the foreseeable future
Weatherproofing - I am all for that

I am now leaning towards to 60D as it is only $140 dearer than the only new 50D I can find, all the 2ND hand 50D's are asking almost the same price. The 550D is fading to the background with only a $230 price diff from the 60D.

I "think" as I am buying from scratch, not upgrading that it would make more sense to go for the newer camera as there is not much difference in price.

At this stage, I have almost made a final decision, subject to change tomorrow lol

My biggest problem is that I over analyze things.

Tannin
11-11-2010, 8:37pm
My biggest problem is that I over analyze things.

Are you sure?

Perhaps you should think about that more carefully. Try sitting down with a notebook and a pencil, writing down reasons why you think this might be so. On another sheet of paper, write down the reasons why you think it might not be so. Carefully compare the two lists, marking any pairs of reasons that seem to match. You can study these ones more thoroughly later. Try asking your friends if they believe you over-analyze things, then compare their answers with your own. Then, you can begin .........

er ... sorry ... couldn't resist. :eek:

geoffsta
11-11-2010, 9:07pm
My suggestion is to go to your local camera shop. Ask if you can have a feel of a camera. Don't just stick with one brand, try them all. I know that because I have a missing index finger on my right hand I have trouble holding a Canon. Where the Nikon feels quite comfortable. Lenses are another story. Nikon has a 18-105mm Vr lens that is ideal for landscape and portraiture, at a fairly cheap price. I'm sure other brands will have something similar.
Firstly get a camera that is able to handle any lens. It must feel comfortable in you hand, with easy reach to all buttons and dials.
Make sure you have a basic understanding of all the functions of the camera, and look through the user manual and see how easy it is to read.

Best of luck....

StephenM
11-11-2010, 10:14pm
Hi Silkdiver,

I'm a former Pentax user, but recently picked up a new 50D and 15-85 IS USM lens, and I'm very happy with both of them! It seems to be a great combination in my opinion. The 50D is a stronger build than the newer 60D, and if you shop around you should be able to pick up a new 50D body for about $850. I think it's better value then the 60D at that price, especially if you're not really interested in video.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Stephen

rwg717
11-11-2010, 10:44pm
Hi Silkdiver,

I'm a former Pentax user, but recently picked up a new 50D and 15-85 IS USM lens, and I'm very happy with both of them! It seems to be a great combination in my opinion. The 50D is a stronger build than the newer 60D, and if you shop around you should be able to pick up a new 50D body for about $850. I think it's better value then the 60D at that price, especially if you're not really interested in video.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Stephen

Couldn't agree more with these comments, the retailers are going to "rob you blind" with the 60D for the time being. With Xmas coming up they will have an absolute field day with the NEW AND WONDERFUL 60D. Apart from using the 7D sensor and adding HD movie feature, I really cant see much improvement over the great 50D, tried and true machine with all its faults already revealed and there's not many of those!!!
I also bought a Sigma 17-70 VR and thought it a nice piece of glass for the price.:)
Richard

Tannin
11-11-2010, 10:59pm
Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a well-regarded lens, but you have to accept that it is quite short for a general-purpose unit at just 50mm.
The new stabilised version gets a rather poor review at that best and most reliable of all Internet review sites, The Digital Picture. See http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-VC-Lens-Review.aspx
The focus motor is nothing like as smooth, precise and classy as the Canon USM motors on lenses like the 15-85, 17-85, 10-22, 17-55, 60 macro, and most L Series units.
The Canon EF-S 15-85 IS is not, repeat NOT a kit lens. It is a high-quality mid-range lens similar to (for example) the EF-S 60 macro, the EF-S 10-22, the EF 85/1.8, and the EF 70-300 IS. The fact that you can sometimes buy it as part of a body kit is not relevant - you can buy the 24-105L IS in a kit too, and no-one ever called that a kit lens.
The only genuine drawback of the 15-85 is that it's rather slow. Oh, and it isn't cheap, but quality never is.
It is quite silly to suggest that if you get "a 10-20 range wide angle then you will discard your 15-85". Why on earth would you do that? You'd keep both, of course, just as I shoot with a 10-22 and my 24-105, and back before that I used the 10-22 and my old 18-55 side-by-side.
The 15-85 has excellent range - much wider than any competitor, and longer than most too.
The old Tamron 17-50 non-VC does have the reputation for being better. But it doesn't have the IS that some others have, and htat is important.
The 50D is a real camera. The 550D and top some extent the 60D are plastic quasi-toy cameras. Yes, you can take great pictures with them, but the lack of proper controls on the back is a real handicap. Yes, I owned one of those quasi-toy cameras for a while, and it was as great little unit, but in the end I found the difficulty of controlling it without a back wheel too tedious and got rid of it. Get a 50D.
EF-S 17-85 is a truly wonderful lens. Nobody makes a better one. But it's dear! Can you live with the cost? Your call.
There is A LOT of sense in the argument that you should start with a minimalist kit - a little plastic 18-55 IS for example - and save your money for the day when you have mastered the camera and know exactly what you want from your lenses. There is no perfect! You MUST compromise, and (this argument says) you are best to delay deciding on your compromise until you have hands-on experience to guide your purchase.

David
12-11-2010, 12:03am
For a first I would leave the 550 alone and let those with a penchant for the latest, newest.. blah blah 60D alone for a first time buyer- Go with the 50D..a well tested work horse that will rarely let you down and can take some abuse...Not as fancy and gadgety as the 7D BUT what are you trying to do, look good (60D) and have the latest entry level camera..no ? Good, move on .. as for the 7D If I am going to spend that kind of money I would be saying screw it and go all the way with LBJ and go for a FULL FRAME camera...5D or 1D models...cant afford that / Okay back you go to the 50D body and wait just another 3-4 weeks when the Aussie dollar flips out to 1.10 US and camera places are doing the desperate bid to get your dollar.. then buy a 50 NEW : Camera body decision made- as for a first lens if it has to be one and not too exy the EF-S 15-85 IS would be a good start, have to agree with others about this suggestion. You will find your experience will guide you to changes later but the 50D with the EF-S 15-85 IS is definitely not an unwise combo to start with.

PH005
12-11-2010, 6:55am
Just to try and clarify a little on what I meant by discarding a 15-85.... If down the track by the way Silkdiver is talking, he does get a 90 or 100 macro and a 10-something wide angle, throw in a super cheap nifty fifty, then I think he will not get as much use from a 15-85. I still think he would be really happy with a body and 50 1.8 for starters. Plenty of gadgets that you need also, ie, bag, tripod, filters, flash. Then decide what first dedicated lens he wants/needs. I hope this helps just a little. Or just adds to the confusion. :confused013

silkdiver
12-11-2010, 8:38am
OMG :eek: I think I might go buy a motorbike instead! Oops... already done that this year!

It's down to either the 50D or the 60D with only $125 difference in price now. Most of you seem to be suggesting I get the 50D. I can certainly understand that if you have/had one already, and yes it is tried and tested. I would love to hear from a few that have the 60D (aNyBoDy ????)

As for the lens, I am going to get a nifty fifty just so I can take pictures and then go "play" with lenses in the shops.

Cadnium
12-11-2010, 10:10am
Hey,

I have the 15-85mm Canon lens and it is good. The range is fantastic, IS works really well. However, I do find it slow indoors. I have since paired it up with at 580EX-II and have no issues. However if I went back, I would make sure my mid-range lens has a constant f2.8 aperture, even if it meant going to Sigma/Tamron and/or splurging a pit more money.

silkdiver
12-11-2010, 10:21am
originally posted by Cadnium:

Hey,

I have the 15-85mm Canon lens and it is good. The range is fantastic, IS works really well. However, I do find it slow indoors. I have since paired it up with at 580EX-II and have no issues. However if I went back, I would make sure my mid-range lens has a constant f2.8 aperture, even if it meant going to Sigma/Tamron and/or splurging a pit more money.

Thanks for the insight :)

Longshots
12-11-2010, 10:33am
I was going to suggest a nifty fifty, as the 50mm (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II), as it is such stunningly good value for money. Its extremely sharp, and can be bought for under $100. Its a lens you will never tire of.

Art Vandelay
12-11-2010, 11:12am
[list]
The Canon EF-S 15-85 IS is not, repeat NOT a kit lens. It is a high-quality mid-range lens similar to (for example) the EF-S 60 macro, the EF-S 10-22, the EF 85/1.8, and the EF 70-300 IS. The fact that you can sometimes buy it as part of a body kit is not relevant - you can buy the 24-105L IS in a kit too, and no-one ever called that a kit lens.
The only genuine drawback of the 15-85 is that it's rather slow. Oh, and it isn't cheap, but quality never is.

100% Agree with this.

I'd also add that the Image quality is right next to the 17-55 f/2.8 (I have both). I cant put my finger on it exactly, but at times the 15-85 even brings out a 'richer' more colouful image.

Throw in a 50 f/1.8 as suggested, and you.ve got a lot of bases covered.

unistudent1962
12-11-2010, 12:02pm
Sadly, some photographic snobs seem to consider any Canon lens without an L in it's name is a kit lens.
While L lenses may be something to aspire to owning, they don't make an image, the photographer does.

As suggested, the 15-85 does a very good job, it covers a decent range, has very good IS, and handles CA and distortion reasonably well. Obviously a constant aperture and faster focussing would make it even better, but I doubt the OP would be disappointed should he choose this lens.

Roosta
12-11-2010, 1:44pm
Just to add to your confusion, I've got The Sigma 18-50 F2.8, cost me $399 brand new aussie lens, not as long as the Tamron 17-70 and also the 3 x the price canon 17-55 F2.8.

I cant fault this lens, has all the letters you want after it IS, VR, OS, you chose, all mean the same thing and is constant F2.8 throughtout focal range. The Tamron, was my other choice, but not having the F2.8 throughtout the range it lost out.

Unistudent and also Rod38, make some very valid points re L type lens and where you are at experience wise, But in adding to that, if you can afford the better faster glass, you are mad not to get it, it will last the test of time and suit all the aspects you've mentioned.

Add again to that, Geffsta, makes a valid point. If you like Canon thats great, but there is nothing wrong with the good old Nikon stuff, Their 18-105 Vr lens that can come as a kit with the D90 is a great package, my brother inlaw has this set-up and loves it. It's not just a personal choice, but feel and user friendlness should be taken into account.

Anyway, I still think your first point of call is a quality camera shop in your area that stocks the 50-60D's and a couple of good Nikons, Nikon pricing should be jumping around at the moment due to new model's just being released, but I can't help you there. Pick them up , feel the weight, button location and functions, look through the lens and live views, see what works for you.

Have fun..

P.S. What you save in buying a non-canon lens, I.E say Sigma 18-50, Tamron 17-70/50, you could/should get a decent tripod and head for the savings you make.

Cadnium
12-11-2010, 1:58pm
One more comment:

As i said above, I have the 15-85mm and do find it slow indoors. I also have the 50mm f/1.8, tripod and flash and Yongnuo remote triggers.

As we have a little bub, I take most my shots indoors at the moment. I change lenses alot. When shooting with the 15-85mm i usually find myself resorting to the flash and bouncing it unless there is good ambient light as the shutter speed tends to hang around 1/30s which is too slow unless people are posing for the shot (you won't get camera shake on the 15-85 due to the IS but you will get motion blur!). Babies don't tend to wait when you are shooting.

The 50mm is just such good value for money everyone should have one. I usually find myself stopped down to about f/2.8 which is why i would recommend that aperture if you are going for indoors zoom. I could't justify the extra money for the f/1.4 and in all honesty have only take a couple of shots at f/1.8.

The reason I went for the 15-85mm as my zoome was the wide low-end which is great for landscapes, and the range is perfect on a crop sensor (such as 50D, 550D) for portraits. Oh, and I was only given permission to buy one lens. As everyone said above, the quality of photos is really good which was important to me, and why i didn't get a kit lens.

Having said all of that. most of my best shots have come from the cheap 50mm f/1.8, especially when paired with a tripod and remote trigger!

As for the body - I got the 50D for about $900, and it is fantastic. I have to say that I had no idea what I was looking for at the time and just went on feel (i.e. the controls felt right). I have no regrets. My friends 500D feels like a toy in comparison (just my .02c!).

midnightexpress1
12-11-2010, 5:51pm
When I started this hobby,I was given one good advice,and that was buy the best lens you can afford,if not save and buy the best when you can.having said that I got the 550d twin kit and I only used it 2 times and now they are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Also the 550d takes better pictures than the 50d (in my opinion),I can't comment about the 60d as I have not used one yet.

in2fx
12-11-2010, 6:37pm
Have a play with the 550D and 50D and see what feels good in your hands.

Then have a look at the EF-S 18-200 for a general walk around lens.
It may not be a great lens, but much better than a kit lens and it covers the most common focal lengths used until you decide which specialised lenses you want in your toy bag.

wmphoto
12-11-2010, 7:40pm
+1 for the 15 - 85. I don't have one, but my old man just bought a 550D with the 15 - 85 and I was really impressed with it. (Note to self - old man has better camera body than me, can't have that, time to start shopping again.........MMMMmmmm 7D :D).

edit +2 for the 50mm F1.8 II. Very good cheap lens.

silkdiver
12-11-2010, 7:48pm
I will be getting a nifty fifty, that is one lens that is a definite!

crum
12-11-2010, 11:12pm
Another vote the for 15-85mm here. I got one with my 7D and its perfect for me as an all round lens as I don't really shoot 1 certain genre. No complaints about the image quality whatsoever either

Roosta
13-11-2010, 2:35pm
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/browse.asp?idCategory=9&brand=2

Check prices here for examples...

silkdiver
13-11-2010, 11:07pm
even if I don't a body to put it on...yet :confused013

PH005
14-11-2010, 9:45am

Now you MUST get a body ! Keep us informed.

midnightexpress1
14-11-2010, 5:08pm

Hahaha,can't wait hay

smallfooties
14-11-2010, 8:05pm
Just wondering, i was told that the XXXD range depreciates faster than the XXD range... is this true? If it is, then perhaps this is something you might consider if in case you want to resell your equipment when you're ready to upgrade?
Also, i know there's alot of hype about buying the latest model and keeping up with technology but, how often are you gonna go to the shops to get the latest model?
I was reading some of the posts, and in it, some members have suggested to hold and play around with different brands. Are you going to do this or have you set your mind on canon? If you have, that's awesome. As i think you can go no wrong with Canon or Nikon. I don't know about other brands because i have never used them... but i'm sure the other members can help you with that. I suppose, i'm saying try and not narrow your selection on a body too soon and too quick? But i also understand we tend to do that based on preconceived ideas and influences. I did that when i first wanted to get a DSLR... and i wasn't too happy later cos i did not know any better - i hadn't discovered this forum yet at the time!
Anyway, if you see my signature, i think i have the sigma 18-50 F2.8 lens but on the nikon D200... I'm not sure if it might be the same lens but a different mount for the canon...but i really love this lens... it's my everyday walk about lens... and the quality of the pictures it produces is much better than the quality that my kit lens produced when i was using canon.
If you're interested, i bought my nikon D200 second hand and lens brand new - both for $1.5k
Anyhow... I don't know if i'm making sense here...
but i hope you make your decision wisely...
and i'm looking forward to seeing your work when you've gotten your gear!!!!! :p

OzOutbackGirl
14-11-2010, 11:33pm
I am a complete newbie on this forum and trying to find the answers to my questions via many threads. I am also trying to decide on a new lens. I have the Canon 350D (will upgrade to a 5D in the next few mths) and the two kit lenses that came with it. 18 - 55 and 75 - 300mm. Excuse me for my ignorance but are they not really very good quality. I have always wondered why my pics look a bit soft and never tack sharp as they say. I also don't really understand the difference between the lenses....for example why buy a 50mm lens (set focal length) instead of say a 15 - 85mm which includes the 50mm length? And what do you mean when you say a lens is slow? I am a tour guide and take a lot of landscape photos (especially sunsets etc) but also animals etc. Actually I take a variety of shots and tons of them. I was going to get the 24 - 105 lens but there seems to be a lot of recommendation of the 15 - 85mm. What would you suggest if you were in my job? Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

smallfooties
14-11-2010, 11:52pm
hey outbackgirl,
i don't know the technical bits but i did notice a vast difference in IQ between the kit lens and my sigmas.... So i think there is some truth there... perhaps the other members can explain better... :)

crum
15-11-2010, 11:01am
I totally agree with your comment on those kit lens's OzOutbackGirl. I got those with my 400D and the can't even be compared to the 15-85mm I got with my 7D

Roosta
15-11-2010, 11:44am
Lens Speed (Fast Glass) = Depending on the build of the lens, Its maximum aperture setting will determine the amount of light that can enter your camera at any one time. Laymans terms, Usaly the lower numbered Fstop of the lens I.E 100mm F2.8 will be faster than a 100mm F4 and so on 100mm F5.6 (prime lens) Fixed focal length. Or in the case of a Zoom lens, a 18-50mmF2.8 will let more light in across the Stopping range of the camera than a 18-50mm F4-5.6. It's better for a all round lens. So with the seting sun and changing focal lenghts, the camera Fstop may alter for DOF, but the Fstop, apperture or amount of light capible of entering will be the same and also higher with a F2.8 against say F4-5.6.

Aperture on the lens is the blading system that opens or resricits the light entering your cameras sensor. Think the opening of James bond movie, when he turns to shoot, you see that circular blading, like looking through a camera lens, Lower is higher and vise wersa.

This is tricky if you want to take dedicated low light landscape with longer/slower shutter speeds, not always needed on say a 10-22mm lens (UWA Ultra wide angle, for great landscape and building sceens). But for a general walk about general use lens, you are better of getting quality glass (build quality and lower Fstop numbering I.E F2.8) ISO and Shutter duration, and so on, all come into play. Fixed aperture across complete focal lenght is best say 18-50mm @ F2.8 Lens in Aperture Priority mode on the camera, the body will do the rest.

Firstly work out your main photographic needs around what body do what you want.
?. Main intended use (is it for speed or portriature shooting)
?. FPS Frames per second
?. Video requirements if needed
?. Full Frame or Not (this will alter your lens thinking quite a lot)
?. weather sealing (will haevily way on price)

Then work on lenses, usally you could get away with 2, say something around but not restricted to 15/17/18MInumum - 50/55/70/75/80Maximum Focal Zoom odd (several Canon and Non Canon lens here, and say the 70-200mm L F2.8 or lighter but just as sharp if not sharper 70-200mm L F4.

Would be better of there rather then looking at a prime lens. Fixed focal lens (I.E 150mm F2.8) In other words, you need to move closed or further away from subject to chage focal range. But very good optics in most case's in prime lens.

Have Fun... :D

Roosta
15-11-2010, 11:46am
Try this website and look under reviews for camera bodies and also a range of lens Canon and Sigma... Very useful information here...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

silkdiver
18-11-2010, 8:53am
Finally, I made up my mind. Tomorrow I will be picking up a 50D ! :D It's got a couple of lenses, a camera bag, battery grip with 2 batteries & a third party flash. The 50D has 9000 actuations so I will be ready to play. I already have the nifty fifty. The only down side is the learning curve of DSLR :eek:

PH005
18-11-2010, 8:58am
I wouldn't look at it as a " Downside ". I would look at it as a great new learning adventure. :)

silkdiver
18-11-2010, 9:09am
PH005, you know I said it tongue in cheek, because I know all you guys n girls in here will help me out when I need it, which will probably be a lot :p . The beginners section has some awesome help & get started areas which I have been reading.
I just have to figure out what I am going to tell hubby as buying the camera means my car has to stay off the road a bit longer, lucky it's warmer weather now as it looks like I am stuck on my bike for a while, just that pesky rain that starts every time I have to go to work lately :(

Arg
18-11-2010, 6:37pm
I... am also trying to decide on a new lens. I have the Canon 350D (will upgrade to a 5D in the next few mths) and the two kit lenses that came with it. 18 - 55 and 75 - 300mm. … they not really very good quality. …my pics look a bit soft and never tack sharp as they say. …. why buy a 50mm lens (set focal length) instead of say a 15 - 85mm which includes the 50mm length? And what do you mean when you say a lens is slow? I am a tour guide and take a lot of landscape photos (especially sunsets etc) but also animals etc. …I was going to get the 24 - 105 lens but there seems to be a lot of recommendation of the 15 - 85mm. ….Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, if you are going to get the 5D then note that any EF-S lens cannot be used.
Like the 15-85 you are considering.

Zoom lenses are generally more distorted than a fixed focal length like a 50mm, and are 'slower' i.e. let less light in because the aperture cannot open up so wide inside the lens. Some zoom lenses are just as 'fast' and undistorted, but heavy and expensive. It's a trade-off.

I am very surprised you cannot get ‘tack sharp’ pictures with a 350D and kit lenses. I suspect there may be something about your settings and use of your kit that contributes, not just the kit alone. Is that something you want to discuss?

If you are definitely getting the 5D then the 24-105 is a great choice for landscapes, and not-too-shy/small animals.

But if you like shy/small animals then the 550D/60D/7D cameras with smaller sensors offer an advantage in telephoto effect.

Decide the body first then we’ll talk lenses.

OzOutbackGirl
18-11-2010, 9:00pm
HI Arg, Thanks for your input to my question. I didn't realise that what genre I take with regards to photos should be the deciding factor about what camera model to get. I had decided on the 5D coz I figured it was the best Canon Camera I could afford and coz it's a full sensor I figured it would be that one step better than the 7D? I know the 7D is quite a bit more robust but I didn't realise that it would be better for taking small/shy animals than the 5D. Why is that? Maybe I should do some further investigating? I have had my Canon 350D for nearly 4 yrs now and have taken nearly 15,000 photos so maybe it needs a service (just like cars) :-) :-) It is playing up a bit sometimes and has a mind of it's own.

About the 'tack sharp' images.....Since I wrote this post I have taken photos at my sisters farm and downloaded onto her computer and am amazed that the pics are much better on her monitor. I think it has something to do with my laptop settings coz the colours are very vivid and bright and sharp on her monitor. Or it might be that i am taking better photos since studying a lot :-) Think it's the screen though now. I do really think my Sigma lens loses quality after 200mm though! Do you think this is normal?

If I get the 5D I have decided to get the 24 - 105 lens.

Arg, can you explain about the smaller sensor cameras offering an advantage with regards to telephoto effects? Thanks in advance

Cadnium
18-11-2010, 10:06pm
OzOutbackGirl,

To put it very simply the smaller sensors provide a pseudo-zoom effect as the image coming in from the lens has a smaller area to hit. You often hear people talking about them as a crop factor - a 50D has a 'crop factor' of 1.6. This means that for the same lens and zoom, it will be effectively 1.6x more zoomed in.

To put it in context: A 50mm zoom on a 50D is equivalent to 50x1.6 = 80mm on a 5D.

Arg
19-11-2010, 9:05am
Hi OOG,

if you take your 70-300 lens off your 350 and put it on a 5 you will suddenly notice a 60% loss of telephoto effect. This can be tough to live with (and heavy and expensive to solve :eek:).

Yes it is normal for a 70-300 lens to be softer above 200mm when wide open, although some expensive models $2000+ can solve it. :eek: :eek:

Take a good hard look at the 550D. It might be the perfect fit for your hands (more important than gear-obsessed people seem to think in their race to obsess on sensors). Canon has made big progress since the 350D in every way. Some reviewers are saying the 550D could satisfy some pros depending on their needs.

On the question of sensor size, there are plenty of pros using the smaller sensor size, and it is not because they are compromising on standards for their clients! It is because these cameras can satisfy pro standards nowadays. Don't dismiss them; think about your real needs. It is quite realistic to argue that for a given limited budget that a 28mm sensor body and lens kit (550/60/7D) can deliver better photos than a full frame sensor and lenses to fit the same budget.

The learning centre is a great resource and might be useful to you (as it is to me) :rolleyes:

OzOutbackGirl
19-11-2010, 5:15pm
HI Arg,

Thanks again for all that info. Wow! I had no idea that I am compromising things to get the 5D. I need the zoom! Especially when on tour and I take animals at a distance etc. I will take a look at the 550D. God, you may have saved me money :-) Will check out the learning centre too. Thanks heaps for your help. I have learnt so much from this forum...it's fantastic & I feel like part of a big family of like minded people.

OzOutbackGirl
19-11-2010, 5:16pm
Thanks Cadium for your input too. I understand now.

Arg
21-11-2010, 4:43pm
...About the 'tack sharp' images..... I think it has something to do with my laptop settings

Hi OzOutbackGirl, since you have decided to keep your 350D for the moment, maybe you could spend a penny on your monitor, especially if you are using your laptop screen. Most laptop screens require very careful alignment with the viewer's eyes to get a decent look at the photos, and even then are not good enough to show the colours and dynamics of the photo. Quick suggestions: for $300 maybe the AOC iF23, for $600 maybe the Dell U2410.

Ok, I don't know how advanced you are as a camera user, so please don't get upset if my next tip is too basic! :rolleyes: Are you using your 350D on its standard 'multizone' focus mode? This mode causes far too many mis-focused photos. Quick suggestion: change your camera's settings to always focus using the centre focusing point. Then focus by putting this point on the bit of the subject that you want sharpest, press shutter half way, recompose, and shoot.

TOM
21-11-2010, 7:00pm
Aperture on the lens is the blading system that opens or resricits the light entering your cameras sensor. Think the opening of James bond movie, when he turns to shoot, you see that circular blading, like looking through a camera lens, Lower is higher and vise wersa.

the aperture is the hole, the "blading system" is called the diagphram.

congrats on the 50mm lens. it is the best way to get champagne quality on a beer budget as you say.

OzOutbackGirl
24-11-2010, 7:46pm
Hi Arg, sorry, I just realised this note from you was here. I really would love to get a new monitor. I would LOVE to get a new monitor so will investigate those options you suggest. What about an Apple Mac? Are they much much better? My bro works in an industry where he could get me one for a reasonable price.

About the focus....I do have it on the spot focus (one shot). Don't worry...I am not offended at all. I never use the other two focusing functions but I do understand the AI servo is for continual focussing on moving animals.

I was also always using spot metering for all my photos and have since learnt that I should be using the evaluative metering for most photos. This also might explain the lack of colour quality etc I have been experiencing.

Thanks again for your help. I will investigate those monitors you suggest.

Arg
24-11-2010, 11:50pm
Hi OzOutbackGirl, I'm not sure which Mac you mean, but it doesn't matter much as I am not familiar with them. Mac displays use good technology but for photo purposes are cursed by a glossy screen. Looks great in the showroom but the reflections are going to be a nuisance if you look closely at static images for colour and shadow detail, like photographers tend to do. A real pity.

JohnnyBoy
11-01-2011, 12:26pm
I'm also in the same spot as the OP changing my mind a 1000 times if only someone gave me a dollar everything I did I would be able to get my body by now :-), but I am now looking at the 60d - had a feel of the 550d, 60d and 7d in the shop and I like the feel of the 60d but the buttons are a bit of a let down as there is no feedback coming from the push. But regarding glass and someone that is just starting out I was look at the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Image Stabilizer Lens.
What I'm looking at is an all rounder as I currently work in the US and on the weekends I like to go and see places etc. Some things I have put on hold until after I get the camera. I have many ideas in my head and getting them onto paper so to speak well that will be an interesting exercise.

silkdiver
12-01-2011, 3:19pm
I'm also in the same spot as the OP changing my mind a 1000 times if only someone gave me a dollar everything I did I would be able to get my body by now :-), but I am now looking at the 60d - had a feel of the 550d, 60d and 7d in the shop and I like the feel of the 60d but the buttons are a bit of a let down as there is no feedback coming from the push. But regarding glass and someone that is just starting out I was look at the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Image Stabilizer Lens.
What I'm looking at is an all rounder as I currently work in the US and on the weekends I like to go and see places etc. Some things I have put on hold until after I get the camera. I have many ideas in my head and getting them onto paper so to speak well that will be an interesting exercise.

I settled on the 50D, but if I hadn't been able to get one, I would have gone 60D. The 28-135mm would be a nice alrounder IMHO. I ended up with the Canon 17-85mm as I was after WA, yours would be a bit faster :D

Good luck in your decisions.

pfb
15-01-2011, 1:00pm
EF-S 18-200 for a general walk around lens.

+1

Works well for me, and I'm hoping to get hold of a 10-22mm soon for the wider angle, particularly for landscapes.

kjeems
19-01-2011, 2:02pm
I just purchased the 60D and 50mm f1.8 but planning on getting the 15-85mm when the price is right :)

I guess the main reason i liked the 60D over the 550D was the fact of the swivel screen.. very useful when doing some group shots that i want to be in aswell... The worst thing about taking photos is that a few years later when you look back at them, you'll notice that your eerily absent from most of them :confused013

Arg
20-01-2011, 12:58pm
The 28-135 will give you no wide angle, which I would miss.

If I was going to have just one lens on a 60D it would be the 15-85, especially for travel.

JohnnyBoy
21-02-2011, 5:30am
Just an update - I've just purchased a 60D with the 28-135mm - Thanks Arg for your thoughts, maybe I'll have to look into the WA Lens for my next purchase
Can wait for it to arrive.

PH005
21-02-2011, 10:21am
Just an update - I've just purchased a 60D with the 28-135mm - Thanks Arg for your thoughts, maybe I'll have to look into the WA Lens for my next purchase
Can wait for it to arrive.

Great starting point. When you get around to a UWA, make sure to look at the Sigma 10-20's.

JohnnyBoy
21-02-2011, 6:36pm
Great starting point. When you get around to a UWA, make sure to look at the Sigma 10-20's.

Are Sigma lens as good as the Canon ones as most people I speak with say Canon makes the better lens

PH005
21-02-2011, 8:47pm
Are Sigma lens as good as the Canon ones as most people I speak with say Canon makes the better lens

I guess it all comes down to dollars and cents. If money was no barrier then I guess I would have all Canon lenses. But aftter reading a lot of reviews and feedback I think that there is a lot going for third party lenses. Specs speak for themselves. Try and then buy.

JohnnyBoy
22-02-2011, 4:11am
I guess it all comes down to dollars and cents. If money was no barrier then I guess I would have all Canon lenses. But aftter reading a lot of reviews and feedback I think that there is a lot going for third party lenses. Specs speak for themselves. Try and then buy.

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try when I'm going to get my next lens, thanks fir your thoughts and experience

8perpetual
27-02-2011, 6:29pm

There are certain third party lenses that are very popular amongst other Canon users. For instance, the Sigma prime lenses (30mm, 50mm, 85mm).
You will find mixed reviews over the net because the quality control of Sigma is not as good as Canon so every once in awhile you might get a "bad copy" that has backfocus or frontfocusing issues.

However, if you get your hands on a good copy, it can be pretty rewarding. Some people even sell off their L lenses after using Sigma primes.

I @ M
28-02-2011, 6:35am
You will find mixed reviews over the net because the quality control of Sigma is not as good as Canon so every once in awhile you might get a "bad copy" that has backfocus or frontfocusing issues.

However, if you get your hands on a good copy, it can be pretty rewarding. Some people even sell off their L lenses after using Sigma primes.

8perpetual, from YOUR personal experiences, can you provide PROOF that the quality control of Sigma lens production is worse than any of the camera makers own lens production or are you just repeating that which you have read on the net and taking it as gospel.

Using statistics, you will probably find that the % rate of "faulty" Sigma lenses is no greater than any other maker. The reason that you hear a lot of net chatter about any perceived problems with their lenses is due to the fact that they simply make and sell more lenses overall than the "brand" names.

We can all cite well known and recurring problems with certain models of lenses from ALL manufacturers, don't fall in to the trap of spreading "net fluff" for the sake of something to say on a forum.