PDA

View Full Version : In which direction should I go

larrywen
10-11-2010, 5:07pm
I only have a Canon G11 plus my Nokia Mobile:o. When I look around and it seems that eveyone is carrying a much larger Camera than I do. I am thinking to get a DSLR for myself, but there are so many different models and I am not sure in which way should I go.

Of course, I will try to limit my search in Canan so that I will not need to install too many different software on my old laptop.:o

Bercy
10-11-2010, 10:21pm
The Nokia Mobile may make something of a photographic record, but it will be primitive at best in almost every facet of generating a pleasing picture. Indeed most point and shoots simply can't compete in terms of quality of output. However your G11 is another matter. I was talking to a pro-photographer and auther, from California. I had my big bag of stuff. Chatting away, I asked what he used - and he showed me his G10. He could carry anything. He was touring Australia doing a Lightroom seminar. I am sure he has other gear, but that was his weapon of choice. Henri Cartier Bresson had no problem with a film range finder camera either. There are some things you can do with interchangeable lenses, and so I am not trying to put you off your next purchase, but you can take a crap picture witha $4,000 camera without trying too hard, and your get a total pearler from you G11. Although you have a some canon software, I would not let this trouble you. The biggest issue is the how a the camera feels to you. I would check out all bodies. You are more likely to change the body over time than the lenses, so have a careful look at the range and cost of lenses across the brands and really take your time. Don't look at the body alone - look at the whole package. Heck - you might even end up with a Sony!

Good luck

berni

David
10-11-2010, 11:04pm
There are heaps of things to consider before buying anything. I would suggest coming along to a couple of AP meetups in Brisbane and talk to people who have DSLR cameras (most have Canon or Nikon), ask about their cameras, what they bought first, what lenses they have and why ? and ask yourself what kind of photography you want to focus on first..you can hire lenses to try them out, but as for camera bodies you would do yourself a favour by starting with an entry level body, check them out at camera stores, ask around, then make a decision on one that gets you a DLSR camera with a kit lens or two. I went and did a DSLR Cameras for Dummies course first before I bought my camera: it helped me to make an informed choice for my first DSLR. Hope some of this helps. PS; I started with a Canon 400D with 2 kit lenses for around 1,000.00 .. you could go with a 500D or 450D or a second hand 40D and a couple of second hand kit lenses..check them out on the net too, fleabay is a good place to start looking and comparing prices with other sites like Shopbot once you have made up your mind what specific camera body and lenses you want to go with.

larrywen
11-11-2010, 11:07am
Thank you Bercy and David for your suggestions. You are right, I need to learn much more before rush to a very expensive camera.:)