PDA

View Full Version : Which Wide Angle Would You Choose ?

PH005
09-11-2010, 11:55am
I have narrowed it down to the final Two.

Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5, or Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6.

At this point I am probably 55/45 in favour of the Tamron because of the extra 4mm and the slightly faster f stop. Both lenses are the same price @ $450 from DWI.
Any feedback on either one would be grateful to make up my mind once and for all. I want one of these lenses just for Landscapes. Cheers.

PH005
09-11-2010, 12:16pm
I have just read another review on the Tamron which claims that it is very soft across the range. Oh boy. Here we go again. Might have to just save a little longer and go the Canon 10-22.

daniel5600
09-11-2010, 12:22pm
Im also looking for a lens of this class. I was set on the Sigma 10-20 3.5. however, been recently convinced that the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is a lot nicer.

2.8 goodness, $1000 in Australia, $600 on B&H.

You loose some zoom range, but things im reading suggest its a sharper lens

Higham
09-11-2010, 12:24pm
Depends on how wide you want to go. What body do youwant to put it on.

41jas
09-11-2010, 12:26pm
I have the sigma and have now issues with it and $450 is a great price. Do it! Do it!

PH005
09-11-2010, 12:43pm
I have the sigma and have now issues with it and $450 is a great price. Do it! Do it!

What sort of issues do you mean Jas ? I have looked closely at some of your wide angle shots and they look fine.

PH005
09-11-2010, 12:46pm
Im also looking for a lens of this class. I was set on the Sigma 10-20 3.5. however, been recently convinced that the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is a lot nicer.

2.8 goodness, $1000 in Australia, $600 on B&H.

You loose some zoom range, but things im reading suggest its a sharper lens

Yes I read up about the Tokina too. But I think at that price you are right there with the Canon and by all reports the Canon is the Bees Knees.

41jas
09-11-2010, 12:50pm
What sort of issues do you mean Jas ? I have looked closely at some of your wide angle shots and they look fine.

Typooooo..(NO) issues. :o

PH005
09-11-2010, 12:56pm
Typooooo..(NO) issues. :o

LOL. You had me going there. I think I am now leaning the Sigma way, I have looked through one and was very impressed. I just dont want to do the old " regreet purchse thing ".

41jas
09-11-2010, 1:02pm
I know a few people with the sigma and I haven't heard any negatives. I can't see wasting money on a canon when you can get the same results with the sigma. You could always save the rest of the money towards other things.....L lenses.

Kerry
09-11-2010, 10:04pm
I too have the sigma and love it - you really can't go wrong at that price!!

Redback51
11-11-2010, 12:23pm
I'll go with Jas and Kerry...I have one. The Siggy's a lovely little lens and at $450 it's a real bargain. Here's an image I took with it earlier this year. 15mm, ISO100, f/9 @ 1/250

PH005
11-11-2010, 1:38pm
Thanks Redback.. Nice shot. Looking more n more like the Siggy.

tek
11-11-2010, 1:59pm
Amazing photo Redback. Forgive my ignorance, is that seriously the FOV Of a 15mm lens? On a regular 55mm I would expect that to be a panoramic photostitch.

Redback51
11-11-2010, 2:25pm
Yes Tek, and no it has not been stitched. But it has been cropped heavily at the top and bottom. And PH, $450 is a really good price. I paid around $600 for mine 2 years ago. Cheers :food04:

TimCz
11-11-2010, 5:20pm
I used the sigma 10-20 on my 30D for a long time, and i used the Nikon mount version on the d70 i owned prior to that. Was very sharp from f11-16 and if it wasnt for upgrading to full frame cameras i wouldnt have ever sold it.

PH005
11-11-2010, 6:26pm
Thanks TimCz. The Siggy is sounding better all the time.

PH005
12-11-2010, 10:00am
The new Siggy 10-20 is on the way. $ 485 including delivery. Can't wait. :D

Redback51
12-11-2010, 3:31pm
Good one PH!...you wont be disappointed. Cheers :food04:

Roosta
12-11-2010, 5:16pm
The new Siggy 10-20 is on the way. $ 485 including delivery. Can't wait. :D

Can you tell me where you are getting this lens from at that price.

Cheers.

41jas
12-11-2010, 7:07pm
good bargain. Enjoy!

PH005
13-11-2010, 11:01am
Can you tell me where you are getting this lens from at that price.

Cheers.

Hi Roosta. www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au

PH005
13-11-2010, 11:04am
Thanks Jas and Redback. I will be down on our secluded beaches at dawn and dusk. :party7:

Roosta
13-11-2010, 11:59am
Cheers, Spoke to my local shop here in Perth yesterday, they went to the DWI page, C R Kennendy outlets (C R Kennedy aussie importers for Tamron and Sigma) will price match DWI, so you could get that lens out of Oz with the full warranty. Food for thought . If you look on the C R Kennedy site, its under the warranty section.
Here is the info,

SIGMA AUSTRALIAN WARRANTY ON GREY IMPORTS

C.R. Kennedy & Co P/L will only undertake warranty repairs on products sourced through us. All products imported directly from overseas and resold are not covered by our warranty. This includes purchases through ebay and through grey importers such as www.camerasdirect.com.au,
www.d-d-photographics.com.au and www.globalmediapro.com.

Mark Harrison from www.camerasdirect.com.au has been directly advised by Sigma Japan that C.R. Kennedy, the only authorised Sigma agent in Australia, will not cover warranty on Sigma products bought through www.camerasdirect.com.au

We will match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet
price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.

These prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=315

Have fun with your new lens, will look forward to seeing some uploads in the Land-sea scapes..

PH005
13-11-2010, 2:50pm
DWI gave me an extended ( 5 year I think ) warranty because I paid by bank deposit. They say that delivery will be 2-3 days after funds clear.

Roosta
13-11-2010, 2:52pm
Sounds like a seat deal, Would love to know how you find it. please let me know. Happy shooting.

mikew09
13-11-2010, 3:01pm
Same for me - looked the new Tammy was the way Togo after reading dpreview on it. Having said that I have not heard much else about the Tamron. The sigma is sounding better now.

Tannin
13-11-2010, 3:01pm
Errr ... PH005 .. you do know that DWI are operating outside of Australian law and that their normal business practices are completely illegal? Now that might or might not worry you, but you'd be a fool to imagine that you have a snowball's chance in hell of enforcing a warranty claim against them. Think about it.

PH005
13-11-2010, 3:06pm
Will do Roosta and Mike. I see DWI also listing a Tamron SP AF 28-75 f2.8 with good specs for $361. Mmmmmmmmm.

PH005
13-11-2010, 3:11pm
Errr ... PH005 .. you do know that DWI are operating outside of Australian law and that their normal business practices are completely illegal? Now that might or might not worry you, but you'd be a fool to imagine that you have a snowball's chance in hell of enforcing a warranty claim against them. Think about it.

No Tannin, I had no idea. If they are illegal then how are they allowed to operate? Their site seems very legit and professional. What do you base your claim on so that I may be wiser in future ?

Regards Paul.

Tannin
13-11-2010, 3:38pm
* post removed : opinions that are stated as such are fine, but this post had no reference it it being your opinion *

PH005
13-11-2010, 3:47pm
Thanks for the Heads-Up Tannin. I will keep that info in mind in future. You make some good points, But please dont get me started on Coles or Woolworths. :eek:

Got my fingers crossed now that the lens arrives as promised.

ctorry
13-11-2010, 4:12pm
I hired one of the sigma 10-20 lenses last week, took some awesome shots.

I now looking at DWI to purchase one also.

Tannin very interested on why this business is operating outsdide of Australian Law.

Tannin
13-11-2010, 4:16pm
Don't worry too much, Phil, most people do just fine with them. But it's a bit like buying a VCR in a pub. It's a bargain price and it seems to go just fine .... but if something goes wrong, you have no comeback.

Coles and Woolies? Rapacious business ethics that can make DWI look like upright citizens, and even worse for the producer than they are for the consumer. But they are restrained, at least a little bit, by consumer law and by public opinion. In fact, that is all that restrains them.

Sigh. I think we are off-topic. :eek:

maccaroneski
13-11-2010, 7:03pm
Tony you need to get a bit of lawyer-speak into you - "allegedly". Throw a few of those around and you'll note only get your point across but be safe yourself.

Tannin
13-11-2010, 7:55pm
No need in this case, Tony. Advertising goods for sale to the general public without including GST in the advertised price is illegal, plain and simple, no two ways about it.

Tannin
13-11-2010, 7:58pm
Oh, I see that my post has been removed.

Ricktas, that was not my opinion, that was simple fact - the law is the law. If you feel uncomfortable hosting a statement and want to remove it to protect yourself, I understand that, of course.

maccaroneski
13-11-2010, 10:34pm
There are a number of intricacies involved in these days of cross border, electronic commerce which mean that the answer is not so cut and dried. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to make such a definitive statement.

kiwi
13-11-2010, 10:50pm
...unless they are alleging local stock.

PH005
14-11-2010, 9:53am
Wow. This is just about as exciting as the Rugby League Final last night.. GO KIWIS.

From an ex Pat.

ctorry
14-11-2010, 6:22pm
If the entity is not registered for GST there is no require to include GST in the price (ie. turnover below $75,000) I find this difficult to believe in DWI's case. The GST legislation clearly states Price is GST inclusive Value is GST exclusive. Any international entity operating in Australia require an ABN and is require to lodge statutory return with the ATO on an Annual Basis.

If this entity is not operating with in the Taxation Legislation and anyone is concerned, the entity should be reported to teh ATO. Additionally they should be reported under the Trade Practice Act.

I don't know if this is the case with DWI but this is what anyone if they are really concerned with this entity or any other entity operating outside of the relevant guideline should do.

maccaroneski
14-11-2010, 6:59pm
No need in this case, Tony. Advertising goods for sale to the general public without including GST in the advertised price is illegal, plain and simple, no two ways about it.

When you click on the B & H banner in the "sponsors" section of this website, are the charges that you see appearing inclusive of GST? Are B & H thus in breach of Australian law too? Assume for a moment that AP's servers are located in Australia (they may well be however I have no idea, however presumably B & H has many similar banner ads on sites hosted in Australia).

I guess the question I'm asking is "when is an entity "operating in Australia" for the purposes of the GST legislation?"

ctorry
15-11-2010, 9:22am
Reading the GST legislation and I don't know if this applicable to either of these entities. These comments are very general and not specific in nature.

Supplies made by non-resident can be taxable supplies in certain circumstances (i.e. whre the supply is connected with Australia and the non-resident is registered or required to be registed dueits GST turnover from supplies exceeding $75,000.

This could cause practicial issues if the entity does not have a presence in Australia and to help overcome this the ATO has allowed for a reverse charge regime (i.e. the importer pays the GST not the importing entity). Any agreement for a reserve charge can be made where: 1) the supply is not carried on through an enterprise carried on by the non-resident supplier in Australia (no permenant establishment). 2) The recipient is registed or required to be registered.

The reverse charges regime does not apply if this is made through a resident agent, who will be liable to pay the GST.

For registration purposes, supplies falling under the reverse charges regime, do not form part of the $75,000 turnover for the offshore entity (i.e no requirement for the offshore entity to register unless supplies outside of the reverse charges regime exceed $75,000).

Example

ABC imports to XYZ, XYZ has a permanent establishment in Australia and is required to be registered for GST. - Reverse charges regime can operate.

ABC imports to Mum and Dad for their hobby - Mum and Dad are not registered for GST nor are they requried to be registed. Reverse Charges regime can't operate and offshore entity will need to register and pay GST.

Definition of a Permanent Establishment for the GST Act - "A place at or thorugh which a person carried on any business" and includes factory, office, farm, mine or market. It also includes:
* a place whre the supplier is carrying on business through an agent, a place where the supplier has or is using or installing substantial equipment, supplier is enganged in construction work, supplier manufactures, assembles, processed, packed or distrubed by a related party. In the case of software if the software is promoted by an employee of the permanent establishment in Australia their is sufficent connection.

In terms of Pricing
Failure to disclose GST in the price of a taxable supply may constitute an offence. When an entities supply is taxable, quoting only the GST -exclusive pirce may contravene the provision of the Trade Practice Act 1974 relating to: *misleading and deceptive conduction (s52) or *false or misleading statemetn with respect to price (s53(e)). Please note that a price is not in contravention if it is quoted as follows $300 + GST (providing reference to GST is made). Exception to this rule primarily relate to Auctions which may be GST inclusive or GST exclusive but the basis of bidding must be known at the beginning of the Auction. ACCC and ebay actually have an agreement that all sellers on the site must include any applicable GST in the auction or Buy it Now price.

As stated at the start of this post this is general comments only and are not specific in any way, shape or form.

fairy bombs
15-11-2010, 9:42am
I just bought a Canon 10-22 mm F 3.5-5.6 from DWI for $772 delivered.

I looked at the non camera brand options,they were 'cheaper',but the Canon was much better quality images.

I would rather spend the extra dollars and not have to worry about gear letting me down.

A few people mention other lenses have lower F 2 .8. A wide angle lens you do not need F 2.8

For glam photography yes,But a wide view lens is for landscape,buildings and similar where one would

be shooting at F 8 to f 13.

Hope this helps with your purchase.

Roosta
15-11-2010, 11:09am
I just bought a Canon 10-22 mm F 3.5-5.6 from DWI for $772 delivered.

I looked at the non camera brand options,they were 'cheaper',but the Canon was much better quality images.

Hi fairy bombs, just intrestred in what third party lenses you are refering to???? I'm in the process of comparrision between Sigma 10-20 F3.5 / Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 and the Tokina 12-24 F4.

Could you let me know what your findings, where and what was it that sold you on the Canon 10-22, as I haven't ruled it out, just taking cost into account.

As with all third party lenses(especially Sigma over the years) the build consistancy has been an issue. So really intrested in your findings.

Thanks,

daniel5600
15-11-2010, 1:26pm
every test ive seen on the net has shown the Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 11-16 both similar if not better than the Canon, especially the Tokina. and at a lot less cost than the Canon.

fairy bombs
15-11-2010, 4:09pm
'Roosta',I tested the sigma lens and the canon,side by side in the field,I also found a 'Brick wall' test.

And on both accounts,the Canon left the Sigma for dead.

I would rather pay the price of the Canon one any day,even if there was no DWI and I had to

pay $1000 for it I'd still buy it.Lovely results,the Sigma was not in the same league (just my opinion)

Others feel the Sigma is good,but everyone at the Field day who saw results,said the canon was the pick.

(I did a test,showed images ,but did not tell viewers which images were by which lens)all picked the Canon

without knowing.So I hope this helps,I will try and find link to brick wall test,

PH005
15-11-2010, 4:24pm
Just an update on my Sigma 10-20 purchase.

I just recieved a pleasant phone call from a very polite person from DWI in Sydney to inform me that my purchase order had cleared, and to confirm postal address, and let me know that my lens would be shipped by courier today, and to expect it in the next 2 days. I find that to be Top class PR work in this day and age. Oh and they also confirmed it with an e mail as well. Well done DWI.

ps. I rate people and businesses on how they treat ME.

Roosta
15-11-2010, 4:31pm
'Roosta',I tested the sigma lens and the canon,side by side in the field,I also found a 'Brick wall' test.

And on both accounts,the Canon left the Sigma for dead.

Thanks mate, That would be great, appreciate the feedback.... :th3:

fairy bombs
15-11-2010, 10:45pm
To be honest 'Roosta',over the years I have used lots of different kit in the field,and these' arm chair experts' that look down a list

of specs and prices ,and come to a opinion,without actually using the said kit,Really can lead a lot of people astray.Over the years when I

have bought kit,that is considerably cheaper than other similar gear I have always come unstuck.In this example the re is mention of lenses

around 450-550 dollars,I felt that spending an extra few hundred on the Canon version,would be the way to go.If these others are that much cheaper

Something has got to give.Without spending a huge amount on a 5D3 and 16-35 L,a good canon crop with the canon 10-22 compares very well along

side the above top gear,In my research it was stated by experienced photographer's they only way to tell the difference between the above two kits was to

Pixel peep.I'd have the Canon over the Sigma any day (just my opinion)

Cheers

Roosta
16-11-2010, 9:49am
To be honest 'Roosta',over the years I have used lots of different kit in the field,and these' arm chair experts' that look down a list

of specs and prices ,and come to a opinion,without actually using the said kit,Really can lead a lot of people astray.

Thanks again for your feedback, It's not any easier to choose, Like I say, the price isn't a blocker to the Canon 10-22mm and as you mention "arm chair experts". I've just read last night in Sept Issue "DSLR User Mag" from UK, it has a write up on the Sig 10-20 F3.5, the Tamron SP AF 10-24 F3.5-4.5, Nikkor AF-S DX 10-24 F3.5-4.5 G ED, and the Tokina AT-X 12-24mm F4 AF PRO DX 11, and the Tokina wins in all departments, just mind you, over the Nikkor, mainly due to price, so even the experts are in on it for price.

But, It has a side bar area and states for the money, if a Canon user, look at the 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM... Compares it to the Oly 9-18 F4-5.6 and the Sony SAL118 11-18MM F4.5-5.6 DT as the best on the market for there intended use, But you pay for it.. LOL No Shit Sherlock.. Sorry, made me laugh when some of the pro's seem to have a very dry sense of humor, maybe due to being an english mag, english sense of humor, I don't know. Any way...

I did speak to my Local Pro Camera Shop yesterday, they are holding a night shoot seminar, which i've singed up for (evening Lowlight Pro running it), my prefered form of capture, they are bring a bucket load of gear, just so happens the Pro is a Canon user Yipee, so will probally walk away with the Canon, good if I can get it as a demo "message to brain, work on that"

Thanks again, will compare tests and post some pics, hopefully from Monday night. :th3:

Tatts
25-11-2010, 8:44pm
Found this link last night, you guys might be interested. Has image comparisons taken with Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina UWA lenses.
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_10-20_vs_canon_tamron_tokina.htm

Quietguy
31-12-2010, 2:48pm

Hi just butting in as I recently bought a lens from DWI, that was faulty on arrival. It turns out they have a service agent in Sydney who handles their warranty work.

As I was in Sydney, I dropped my lens into their office where they gave it a quick check to make sure the fault was in the lens and not in my camera. They gave me a receipt, and about 2 weeks later the lens was returned to me per courier as I live in rural NSW.

There was no charge for the repair which they had done by Canon Australia, or for returning it to me.

They did offer me the option of a replacement lens, but I would have had to return the old lens to Hong Kong - I would have done that but was hoping for a quick fix as I needed the lens for an event I was attending.

I don't know what you mean by 'operating illegally' though - buying stuff from overseas is a legal activity.

Incidently I might mention that their delivery was remarkedly speedy - ordered my camera (550D) from CameraHouse in Melbourne on a Thursday, and it arrived the following Thursday. Order the lens from DWI in Hong Kong on the Tues - it arrived the following Friday! Is Hong Kong is closer than Vic to NSW? :-)

So I have no complaints about DWI and would certainly buy from them again