PDA

View Full Version : Zoom versus Prime lens

super duper
08-11-2010, 11:59am
I am an absolute amature with no skill, talent or ability (yet). I just got the D3000, and have the 2 kit lenses. All of the photos I take are of my kids, generally face shots, close up. From what I'm reading, a portrait lens would make these photos nicer so I'm considering a prime lens. After doing some research I decided on the Nikkor DX 35mm f/1.8. I chose the 35mm because of the angle of view.

Is this a good lens, and is it any better than just using my 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR set at 35mm?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

wolffman
08-11-2010, 12:12pm
Yes, it's a great little lens. It's very sharp and and you will be able to open the aperture and give you a very narrow depth of field which will put your background all out of focus.
Change the aperture to f2.8 or so and it will give you good results.

rellik666
08-11-2010, 12:50pm
Yes that is a nice lens, but restrictive. If you haven't used a prime before it can take a bit of getting used to. But yes a nice DOF and Bokeh. Remeber that you will need to move to get your shot and you can't just zoom out/in a bit.....

Roo

ving
08-11-2010, 1:59pm
i have that lens and its really quite nice. you shold be able to get some really nice pics with it. its sharp at 1.8 and probably sharpest from 2.2 on.

its cheap to... :D have a ball!

ameerat42
08-11-2010, 2:01pm
I am an absolute amature with no skill, talent or ability (yet). ...

Is this a good lens, and is it any better than just using my 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR set at 35mm?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

All the above comments are fair, but...

Are you expecting to do better just by having that lens?

(Other comments go without saying.)
Am.

super duper
08-11-2010, 4:08pm
Are you expecting to do better just by having that lens?

I'm hoping it'll help, but I realise I have a lot to learn about taking photos. A real lot.

TOM
09-11-2010, 11:19pm
Remeber that you will need to move to get your shot and you can't just zoom out/in a bit.....

it is good practice to shoot like this whether you have a zoom or prime. visualise your shot, choose your focal length, then compose.

kiwi
09-11-2010, 11:26pm
I'd just use what you have for a few months to reeky get a feel for what focal lengths work...the lenses you have will take really good photos right now. Spend the money on a flash or a tripod or a course

TOM
09-11-2010, 11:28pm
I thought you were off tripods.

kiwi
09-11-2010, 11:55pm
After the Brisbane night meet, they are prob a good idea.....at times

peterking
10-11-2010, 12:08am
I'd just use what you have for a few months to reeky get a feel for what focal lengths work...the lenses you have will take really good photos right now. Spend the money on a flash or a tripod or a course

Totally agree with Kiwi on this.
I worked with my kit lenses for a a year then thought I was getting the best I could from them then looked a better lenses.

maccaroneski
10-11-2010, 12:23am
I don't think that you can set a time on it, but perhaps wait until such time as you understand the "why" around the statement that you might get better portraits with it, and if that "why" discloses a deficiency in your current lenses which you need to address to get the shot that you want, be it 3 weeks or 3 months in, go for it.

RRRoger
10-11-2010, 2:39am
I think a tripod might be an essential tool for a lightweight camera and lens.
I find the combo very hard to hold steady unlike the "anchor" D3 with Pro glass.
In fact, this is the main reason I sold my new D3100 with kit lens and upgraded to a D7000.

As for Zoom vs Prime:
The primes still have special uses, especially Video.
But, many of the Nikkor zooms are now equal optically and much more versatile.
Plus, you do not have to carry so much glass or make constant lens changes.