PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Manfrotto 055XPROB & 496RC2 ballhead

nico
07-11-2010, 9:13pm
Hey all,

After reasearching the forum, I've deceided that my 1st tripod will probably be a Manfrotto 055XPROB (aluminium) with 496RC2 ball head (I'm 6'4" so need the height of the 055!).

What do you think of this combo? I've checked both items out at Ted's & they both seem pretty sweet:D Any other suggestions at a similar price I'm all ears.

A bunch of sellers on ebay (or possibly same seller?) in South Korea have these for just under $300 with free delivery, which is at least $100 cheaper than anyone locally. Has anyone bought from these guys? Are they legit? Most of them have 4000+ feedback...

Cheers!

ZedEx
07-11-2010, 9:19pm
Which sellers in particular are you talking about? Just a general 'south korean ebayers with over 4000 feedback' doesn't really give us any clues. I took a risk and got my 498 RC2 (better head than the 496, i'd get that if i were you, not that much more expensive) from Korea too somewhere (from someone with not much feedback but this was a couple of months ago). For the 055XPROB and 498 RC2 head (and bonus tripod strap) i think all up it cost me about $360 which was very very good.

Hey all,

After reasearching the forum, I've deceided that my 1st tripod will be a Manfrotto 055XPROB (aluminium) with 496RC2 ball head (I'm 6'4" so need the height of the 055!).

What do you think of this combo? I've checked both items out at Ted's & they both seem pretty sweet:D

A bunch of sellers on ebay (or possibly same seller?) in South Korea have these for just under $300 with free delivery, which is at least $100 cheaper than anyone locally. Has anyone bought from these guys? Are they legit? Most of them have 4000+ feedback...

Cheers!

nico
07-11-2010, 9:26pm
Thanks for the quick reply!

What's the advantage of the 498RC2?

AS I'm pretty new to this forum I wanted to tred carfully as I wasn't sure if ebay links were allowed. See below for a couple of examples...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270427230639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280431489013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ZedEx
07-11-2010, 9:36pm
i don't think the 496 has a separate lever for panning from memory? Try a google search to be sure though

Cage
07-11-2010, 10:04pm
I've just received my 055CXPRO3 from that seller. At least $100 cheaper than any other price I saw.

It was posted immediately funds were cleared. My first communication from them was a note to say the goods had been posted, plus the tracking No.

I would buy from them again.

Cheers

Kevin

nico
07-11-2010, 10:09pm
Sweet. Im Sold! :th3:
Think I'll upgrade to the 498 though as smooth panning would be handy...

Bercy
09-11-2010, 11:50am
Hey Mico - I don't know what you do for a living, but have some consideration for the staff at Ted's. You go into the airconditioned shop, and look and feel the items of interest, possibly consume the time and expertise of the sales staff, and then cheese off and buy from some shed in an exoitic destination. Do I buy from E-bay - you betcha! But if I go into Photographic Wholesalers or similar stores and have a discussion with the sales staff, I buy from them. And hey guess what, after they sharpen their pensils the difference is only a few measly bucks, which they deserve. My plea to all is if you know what you want by all means shop on line, but if you go into the shop, don't be afraid to pay for the service and advice; in the end the value is there because you are more likely to get what is best for your circumstances, have an Australian warrantee and have rapid recourse if there are problems. And by the way - I don't work in retail anywhere and I definitely don't work at a photo store and I don't have any friends that do. Sorry about getting on the high horse, and I know there are contrary points of view - but that's what forums are for! Cheers,

Cage
09-11-2010, 12:37pm
I hear what you're saying Berni.

The sales person whose time you've wasted probably has a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I commiserate with him/her.

Unfortunately, the organisation they work for has either not kept up with the fluctuations in the international money market, or if they have, then they are screwing us.

It really pisses me off that local retailers expect us to pay anything up to twice the price for imported goods.

Having said that, I have bought my camera and all my lens locally. Why? Peace of mind with warranty, and price matching of overseas prices by the distributor.

One day the penny will drop for these greedy folk, and they will realise that their potential buyers work bloody hard to put the bucks aside to maintain this expensive hobby, are not dills and hate getting ripped off.

My backpack, tripod & head and lots of add-ons have all come from overseas. The tripod I just brought in was $AU385.00, delivered to my door, $200.00 cheaper than some local retailers.

BTW, I live out of town and don't have the option of 'window shopping'.

Just my two bobs worth, but as you said, that's what forums are for. :th3:

Cheers

Kevin

Rod038
09-11-2010, 1:18pm
I cant recall getting good service in a retail establishment such as the one mentioned. They should put their best prices up front if they are so keen to get the business. I buy all my accessories on Ebay and have never had a problem. I even bought the same head and tripod as ZedEx from possibly the same Seller and it came as promised at a very good price.

ZedEx
09-11-2010, 1:29pm
You do NOt understand at ALL. It is NOT the retailer for not keeping up with 'the international money market' nor are they 'screwing us'. I DO work in photo retail, and you really much understand the severity of the situation. The $360 I got my Manfrotto kit for was well BELOW COST PRICE. Even below cost price ex. gst.
What ;price were teds offering them for? If you don't need the help with any of this stuff and can buy without trying, then by all means use ebay. But if you DO go into the shops, please offer them the courtesy of giving them your business, or at least ask for a better price.
I'm not sure if this situation will ever get better...how can it? If I lived overseas in South Korea. Say, somewhere really dirt cheap. They if I had the capital I could go and order heaps of stuff, maybe get a direct account with Manfrotto. Then I could avoid import duties/gst, and sell each one for a tiny tiny profit and still make a comfortable living. Whereas I need to purchase my Manfrotto gear through Adeal (Australian agent I guess you'd call them) who need to make a little bit of money of each thing they onsell to retail stores. Then our store needs to pay GST, and add enough money on top to cover my wage and all the other costs that go into a business AND THEN a tiny bit of profit...if we're lucky.
So please, I implore you not to think of retailers as greedy, there is simply nothing else we can do. If you have an issue with the prices, go speak to the Australian Government, and then maybe all the brands like Canon, Nikon etc and ask if they'll sell their stuff to us cheaper, cos there isn't much else we can do!!

I hear what you're saying Berni.

The sales person whose time you've wasted probably has a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I commiserate with him/her.

Unfortunately, the organisation they work for has either not kept up with the fluctuations in the international money market, or if they have, then they are screwing us.

It really pisses me off that local retailers expect us to pay anything up to twice the price for imported goods.

Having said that, I have bought my camera and all my lens locally. Why? Peace of mind with warranty, and price matching of overseas prices by the distributor.

One day the penny will drop for these greedy folk, and they will realise that their potential buyers work bloody hard to put the bucks aside to maintain this expensive hobby, are not dills and hate getting ripped off.

My backpack, tripod & head and lots of add-ons have all come from overseas. The tripod I just brought in was $AU385.00, delivered to my door, $200.00 cheaper than some local retailers.

BTW, I live out of town and don't have the option of 'window shopping'.

Just my two bobs worth, but as you said, that's what forums are for. :th3:

Cheers

Kevin

sonofcoco
09-11-2010, 1:37pm
I've just received my 055CXPRO3 from that seller. At least $100 cheaper than any other price I saw.

It was posted immediately funds were cleared. My first communication from them was a note to say the goods had been posted, plus the tracking No.

I would buy from them again.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

How are you finding the 055CXPRO3? Have been looking at it on some online shops here in South Korea and the cheapest is around $300...not too bad. Am looking at it as another potential option, especially as I may be able to justify the added expense when comparing it to how much it costs in Australia.

dredi1975
09-11-2010, 2:40pm
Sweet. Im Sold! :th3:
Think I'll upgrade to the 498 though as smooth panning would be handy...

Id strongly reccommend this set (055XPROB + 498RC2 ball head), ive been using the same for last 7 months:very sturdy, very flexible, not light though, but worth the money!!!. Im only 6' and with fully extended legs I cant see, unless I stand on my toes, the top screen on my 40D, but it should work well for you!

Cage
09-11-2010, 7:58pm
Hi Kevin,

How are you finding the 055CXPRO3? Have been looking at it on some online shops here in South Korea and the cheapest is around $300...not too bad. Am looking at it as another potential option, especially as I may be able to justify the added expense when comparing it to how much it costs in Australia.

sonofcoco, it's one of my smartest purchases. Suits my height (6') and is light and very stable. Just need to get the right lightweight ballhead to compliment it.

You do NOt understand at ALL. It is NOT the retailer for not keeping up with 'the international money market' nor are they 'screwing us'. I DO work in photo retail, and you really much understand the severity of the situation.

ZedEx, yes, I do understand the situation. If a business can't structure their buying program to keep them competitive in a market where the exchange rate fluctuates, they have serious organisational problems. When I see Australian importers offering goods for the same price now as when our dollar was around $US0.60, I feel entitled to come to the conclusion that they are having a lend of me. I, personally, refuse to bow down to the mentality that because I choose to live in a country somewhat isolated from Europe, Asia and America, I should cop whatever prices our importers feel like serving up to me.

Cheers

Kevin

ZedEx
09-11-2010, 10:29pm
but that's the thing, Teds, or indeed the small retail shop that I manage, aren't the importers! We get stuff from local suppliers so as to offer local manufacturer warranties etc. We are NOT 'having a lend' of anyone. The thing to also keep in mind is a lot of stock will still be from pre-parity times (both retail stock and local distributors stock) so it will take a while for any currency-related fluctuations to filter through.
So by all means, get stuff from overseas, but please don't waste hard working retailers time by trying stuff out but buying elsewhere. Please try to negotiate on the price first, you will find most are quite obliging in this respect :)

sonofcoco, it's one of my smartest purchases. Suits my height (6') and is light and very stable. Just need to get the right lightweight ballhead to compliment it.

ZedEx, yes, I do understand the situation. If a business can't structure their buying program to keep them competitive in a market where the exchange rate fluctuates, they have serious organisational problems. When I see Australian importers offering goods for the same price now as when our dollar was around $US0.60, I feel entitled to come to the conclusion that they are having a lend of me. I, personally, refuse to bow down to the mentality that because I choose to live in a country somewhat isolated from Europe, Asia and America, I should cop whatever prices our importers feel like serving up to me.

Cheers

Kevin

nico
11-11-2010, 1:13pm
Just for the record, I was already decided on the tripod I wanted before going into Teds. When I saw how much their sticker price was I didn't even bother talking Turkey (though it was much lower than Georges, who are definitely 'having a lend') . Never mind the fact that I was able to set up the tripod, attach the head & play for 5 minutes without being seen to. I don't think that warrants paying a couple of $00 premium...

Trublubiker, how long did your tripod take to arrive?

Cheers, N

Cage
11-11-2010, 1:50pm
Just for the record, I was already decided on the tripod I wanted before going into Teds. When I saw how much their sticker price was I didn't even bother talking Turkey (though it was much lower than Georges, who are definitely 'having a lend') . Never mind the fact that I was able to set up the tripod, attach the head & play for 5 minutes without being seen to. I don't think that warrants paying a couple of $00 premium...

Trublubiker, how long did your tripod take to arrive?

Cheers, N

It was posted on 19/10/10 and I had it in my hands on 2/11/10, 11 business days (they state 7-15 days)

For $20.00 extra you can have it sent Express in 1-3 business days.

Cheers

Kevin

nico
11-11-2010, 4:22pm
Thanks Kevin. Well as the kit will be a Chrissy pressie (for myself) I might hold hold off for a week or 2 otherwise I'll be tempted to use it :D

Bercy
12-11-2010, 7:40pm
Thanks for clarifying your experience Nico. If you already know what you want then there is no need to trouble the people at the shop. That was precisely the point I was making! I also think that camera shops need to understand the new world order; I am happy to pay extra for - expertise and service, having in stock, and Australian warrantee and good after sailes service. Pimply kid with no photographic knowledge "hang on I'll ask the boss", who doesn't know much more because he also sells camping gear, and says I'll order it in for you, pay now though, and no you can't bring it back if there is a problem, it has to go to Sydney, and no you can't have a loan in the meantime, whaddaya think we just here to please you sunshine! Well guess what, some so called "grey importers" and international E-bay purveyors are actually interested in cameras! All I am saying is - if you do get good service, and have a good relationship with a good pro shop, give it at least a bit of credence. Good luck with said tripod and welcome to pin sharp shots without IS! Hope you already have a shutter release cable!

Cheers

Berni

Cage
12-11-2010, 8:50pm
To Berni and ZedEx

I feel sorry for you guys and the environments you work in. If you are honest people, and I have no reason to believe you aren't, it must be hard to get enthusiastic about selling a product that you know can be had up to 40% cheaper online, from overseas.

If you've read my previous posts you'll see that my camera and lens were all bought locally.

That involved a 400k round trip to the retailer, handling and discussing various bodies, and eventually walking out of Digital Camera Warehouse with my K20-D and the 18-55 kit lens. I had done a lot of research online before I walked into their store, and had narrowed my choice down to two manufacturers.

I would not buy a camera body from a 'grey' importer, or from overseas, because of the aforementioned 'peace of mind' issue with warranty. The same applies, to a lesser extent, with the purchase of a lens. There seems to be a grey area with warranty for lens purchased from overseas.

Guys, I realise your boss is at the mercy of the importer. Perhaps it is up to you to speak up, and let your employer know that you can't compete, and for him/her to then pass it on to the importer. My earlier comments were directed at the importer, and not the retailers, apologises if I didn't make that clear. If that doesn't work, maybe contact the manufacturer, or think about setting up a buying group and bypass the greedy bugger. I don't think too many manufacturers would be adverse to seeing their sales soar because they had become competitive, price wise.

My bottom line. I will continue to buy my add-ons from overseas. A lowepro bag for about half the price locally, and the 055CXPRO3 which I've just purchased for $385.00, which I've seen for almost $600.00, locally, online.

I hope I've clarified my earlier posts. I would love to walk into a handy camera shop, talk to a switched-on sales person, AND walk out with my new gear.

Cheers

Kevin