PDA

View Full Version : Lens Converter

Thoma
04-11-2010, 1:03pm
Hey all,

I've been searching around looking for a wide angle lens converter for my kit lenses that came with my Canon 500D. Different sites on ebay sell them....but are they any good & do they work..?? I have been eyeing off the type with the macro attachment.

Would i be better off to save my penny's and buy a wide angle lens instead..??

Any info would be greatly appreciated..:)

Thoma

The Lamia
04-11-2010, 7:10pm
If you really want to go in that direction, save the money and use the bottom of a bottle: glass quality would be the same. ;)
Look instead on ebay. Canon has a 24 f/2.8 or a 20-35 f/3.5-4.5 that you can buy at decent price.
Otherwise Tokina, Tamron and Sigma are producing Canon compatible primes and zooms that are way better than those funny adaptors and some of them can be procured for few hundreds.

Ciao
Marco

ameerat42
04-11-2010, 7:58pm
^^
Save the converters for fixed lens cameras - or not at all. I have a semi-fisheye one I got years ago for my video camera. As soon as you put it on you can see the reduction in image quality. It's really only good for getting an otherwise ungettable shot (for when you're really desperate).
Am.
PS via Edit. Slightly happily, it only cost about $20 2nd hand.

Tannin
04-11-2010, 8:09pm
If you really want to go in that direction, save the money and use the bottom of a bottle: glass quality would be the same.

And there you have it. Everything you need to know in a single sentence. You might see lots more posts in this thread, and some of them might be quite interesting, but Lamia has comprehensively covered the need-to-know stuff. Nothing more to add.

rwg717
04-11-2010, 8:20pm
Have to agree with tannin, better to buy the good stuff.....there won't be any regrets later:eek:
Richard

Thoma
05-11-2010, 11:30am
Thanks all....appreciated..:)

Shall save the dollars for a decent lens......

Thoma

Bercy
05-11-2010, 1:12pm
I didn't know that it was possible to convert a kit lens into a wide angle! There you go - file under another "It's too good to be true" bargains. :D