PDA

View Full Version : Macro: Where to start with 550D

silkdiver
03-11-2010, 1:57pm
My 1st DSLR should be in my hands next week. :party6: I especially love macro, there's just something about little critters and flora. I have done a lot of macro on my Oly 5050, both on land & underwater, but now it's a giant leap to DSLR.

My new setup will be 550D, with kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS and EF-S 55-250mm IS.
I have read heaps and am now confused "a bit" on what to get for starter macro.

Unfortunately, I am on a tight budget, so I was thinking of getting the cannon EF 50 f/1.8 lens with the Hoya 55mm Close Up 1+2+4 Filter set to start off with.
Am I on the right track? or is there a better solution, or other suggestions.

AdamC
03-11-2010, 3:02pm
Well, the 50/1.8 isn't a macro lens, so will be sure to disappoint if that's your intended purpose. It's a fine lens for the money, but not for macro. I'll defer to others on which macro lens to buy though as I have no experience in this area.

ving
03-11-2010, 3:55pm
you would be better off with a dedicated macro lens. if you are low in budget then the tamron 90/2.8 is an excellent... I envy that you are tackling the idea of macro on a canon as you have the option of the mp-e 65mm when you start to get serious :)

Roosta
03-11-2010, 4:17pm
In the forum section, there is a link to the camermarket,com.au, there is under the canon lens section a couple of good ssecond hand lenses, From memory there is a TAmron 90 and a Canon 60mm good starting places.

Hop ethis helps, Also in the sites search tab, and also in more threads in the canon link , there is a lot of discussion regarding the macro lenses available. If you like critters, I started a thread in the Canon forum, Look for Sigma 150 mm APO,read on.

Good luck with your choice. If it helps, I've been looking for quite some time, want to shoot critters - bugs, probally going to buy the Canon 100mm, not sure whether to get the IS(Image Stabalisation) or not. Also the Sigma 150mm gets great reports.

Some things to consider.
Internal focus mechanise (Canon 100mm and Sigma 150mm) have this feature.
Focal length, 100 - 150 -60mm and so on (how close you want to get to critter or can get
Focus speed,
IS or non IS.
Try this link. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Camera market. http://www.cameramarket.com.au/category/lenses/canon-lenses/

Have fun.. :D

silkdiver
04-11-2010, 6:27pm
Thanks for the replies/advise.
I am still undecided cos it all comes down to $$$. I am still a bit confused about DSLR macro, so back to more research & reading.

Tricky
05-11-2010, 8:37pm
My advice would be to stay away from close up magnifying filters. Picture quality won't be great and you'll end up frustrated (and potentially put off macro photography).

For around $300-400, if you can afford it, you can buy a second hand Canon EFS60mm f/2.8 macro lens (new ones currently going for $452 on ebay). I had this lens for a couple of years and it is VERY sharp. Excellent all-round lens - it will also double as a useful portrait lens (60mm = 96mm equivalent on a crop sensor such as your 550D). Given an EF50 plus close up filters will cost you around $200 (?), you might as well save up and bung in another $100.

You'd have to step up signicantly in budget to find a lens that's markedly better than the 60mm. It's on par with Canon's EF100 macro and the best Tammys; you'd have to buy an EF100 L IS macro or an EF180 to see an improvement.

silkdiver
06-11-2010, 4:34am
Thanks Tricky, you are right, I would end up frustrated. You and Roosta have pointed me in the right direction.

DonUnder
10-11-2010, 1:23pm
I'm surprised nobody has suggested macro extension tubes ad a quick and dirty introduction to the field. Obviously not as good as a dedicated macro lens but they do give you something to play with while you save :)

silkdiver
11-11-2010, 9:37am
I'm surprised nobody has suggested macro extension tubes ad a quick and dirty introduction to the field. Obviously not as good as a dedicated macro lens but they do give you something to play with while you save :)

I looked at that option as well... I think I will end up going with a 90 or 100mm to start with, although now I have decided to buy a body with a decent lens it might be waiting a bit.

Roosta
11-11-2010, 9:57am
Not trying to turn you off the Tamron 90mm, but a few extra dollars (with $ rate at the moment) you would be far better off with the Canon 100mm F2.8. Internal focus, build quality, focus speed and so on, but it's your choice.

What body are you thinking of getting ?? So many deals available now, some of he site sponsors might be able to do you a body and lens deal.

silkdiver
11-11-2010, 10:05am
Not trying to turn you off the Tamron 90mm, but a few extra dollars (with $ rate at the moment) you would be far better off with the Canon 100mm F2.8. Internal focus, build quality, focus speed and so on, but it's your choice.

What body are you thinking of getting ?? So many deals available now, some of he site sponsors might be able to do you a body and lens deal.

Roosta, I hear you on the canon 100mm, yet another option. I just posted on "Canon normal threads" about the body etc

PH005
11-11-2010, 10:28am
Hi silkdiver. I have had my new Tamron SP90 for a couple of weeks now. Very happy indeed with it as a macro and a portrait lens. Very sharp. Dont tend to use the auto focus that much. The build quility is very good and it feels good in your hand. I picked up mine brand new off a site on ebay for $320 including postage and warranty. Go price one in a shop. Pays to shop around. By all accounts the canon 100 is a very good lens , if you want to spend a bit extra. Take your camera into a store and give them a try out. Best o Luck.

sirbongo
11-11-2010, 9:46pm
hey silkdiver, i was exactly in your boat couple of months ago and i ended up with a 550 "body only" and a canon 100mm lens, its the best purchase i've made, the quality of the pictures are awesome. Since then, all i've purchased are some Kenko extension tubes. The best advice i can give is always think further down the track, you might save $ now but if you upgrade your body, can you still use your lens?

Bobby01
17-11-2010, 7:22pm
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat with regards to the macro lens! I went the other way (el cheapo) and bought some kenko extension tubes, I use them with a 55-250mm kit lens for some pretty good macro shots (not as sharp as a dedicated macro lens by any means) I also have a ef 50mm 1.8 lens which I now reverse mount on the front of the zoom lens along with the extension tubes. This allows for extreme close up pictures...
A word of caution though, due to the extremely small DOF you need a smaller aperture which means longer exposures so a tripod is a must...
So for $250 you get extreme close ups plus a great all round portrait/low light lens...
But if you feel macro is really something you are going to get into, I would recommend buying the best glass you can afford as this will give the best results and work out cheaper in the long run (you wont need to upgrade later)
Hope this helps mate.

silkdiver
18-11-2010, 9:14am
Bobby1, I see you have the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, I have the chance to buy a second hand one for less than $300, what do you think of the lens? The good, the bad and the disasters...

Bobby01
18-11-2010, 9:54am
Hi Silkdiver, yeah I bought the lens second hand too, was in "excellent" condition, and it was, until I used it! I have since read many reviews on the lens and a lot of them say the same thing, they bought the lens and repeatedly got "Error 0" messages, its a common problem with the diaphragmthat controls the aperture...I got my lens and got it repaired by Canon in Sydney, cost me $120 so all up the lens cost $420 but is now like new...
It is my favourite lens and it stays on my camera about 90% of the time! I love the lens, its got a decent wide angle on the crop body and a decent zoom range, sharpness is great, not as good as the 15-85mm I hear (never used one) but for half the price I cant complain...
Pros
Sharp image, great reach, USM is sharp and quick but not the greatest in low light but there is full time manual focus, IS is awesome, front element doesn't rotate, pretty cheap
Cons
Check to see if the seller has had issues with the diaphragm, It does suffer from lens creep if you have it around you shoulder other than that there's not many others...
You can check out the always relaible DP review for a more professional review! (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-f-4-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx)
But like I said before, I'm not a professional photographer and this lens has done everything I've asked from it and I'm really quite happy with it :)

in2fx
20-11-2010, 10:09pm
if you can scrap the extra cash together and go for the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, you will be very happy :)

I love mine and it is one of my favourite lenses and used on a 550D