PDA

View Full Version : Approached via Flickr to use photos:::::::

AmPhot
02-11-2010, 6:57pm
Ok this is a new situation for me. Up front I've never sold any of my photos and it's never been my intention to make money from what is just an enjoyable hobby for me.

Yesterday I received a message on Flickr from an artist (painter) in the UK who has asked to use 2 or 3 of my photos to use as a basis for her paintings. I asked her for more information and she gave me a link to her blog/site. She's a professional artist who paints daily and sells her work online (some pieces I've seen so far are selling for around 65 - 85 pounds).

So far she's said to me that "I go with the flow as per attribution i.e. what the photographer wants! Everyone is so different with regards to their work, I find there are no set rules, so best to ask, have a chat and go from there."

I have to admit I'm not sure how to respond to that. I would like to think that if she's making money on work that's based on imagery created by me, surely I'm entitled to a cut of the profit ? Or am I being too greedy and should I be happy with some form of attribution on her work ? :confused013 Have to say I'm stumped so I'm keen to hear anyone's thoughts on this situation.

I @ M
02-11-2010, 6:59pm
I would engage her in a discussion over the net as to how much she makes from one image and see how she responds.

At least she had the decency to ask and didn't just "borrow" your photo.

stevemack
02-11-2010, 9:34pm
I would engage her in a discussion over the net as to how much she makes from one image and see how she responds.

At least she had the decency to ask and didn't just "borrow" your photo.

I agree with ian but i would want some sort of royaltys if someone is making money from my images.

steve.

kiwi
02-11-2010, 9:40pm
I agree with Bruce, but maybe she could send you one of her artworks in recompense ?

Cage
02-11-2010, 10:00pm
Am, I understand your mixed feelings about this situation.

First, you feel some elation that your work has been recognised as having artistic merit by someone who appears to be a pro.

Then you speculate that if it is good enough for someone else to make money from, why shouldn't you share in it?

I think Andrew got it right when he suggested talking to her, and seeing what she had to offer.

And congratulations on the shots that caught someone else's attention. Isn't that one of the reasons we take photos? Not only for personal satisfaction, but also for the acclaim of our peers.

Cheers

Kevin

Erin
05-11-2010, 6:02pm
I personally wouldn't mind it, nor would I ask compensation from it either. The only time I would say no is when people are asking to use my people images for references. Landscapes, street scenes, random stuff... yeah, whatever. Go for your life. I've had people ask me this before and I've happily sent them a slightly larger version to view and use. The resulting artworks have been lovely. They are two completely different pieces of artwork, as far as I am concerned. I put the effort into making the shot. They put the effort into painting it. I don't see a need to be compensated. Credits have been more than enough.

But as mentioned, discuss with the artist.

Redgum
05-11-2010, 6:50pm
I agree with Erin. In the video industry footage is traded all the time and rarely does money exchange hands. And good video footage is scarcer than most photographs.
"Credits" are generally more rewarding than a few bucks and certainly lead to greater recognition in the future.