PDA

View Full Version : New Canon Kit.. Which one

Duane Pipe
02-11-2010, 6:15pm
I love shooting Canons and I want to upgrade my old 450d, she just aint got the bang that I want.:violent10:
I have 2x batteries, 2x 8 gig cards and a Sigma DG 150-500 lens to suite
and I need to know if the above will fit a 7D or 50D-60D
I am looking at the 7D at the moment. What do you think:beer_mug:

Art Vandelay
02-11-2010, 6:25pm
Batteries and cards won't. Any of those camera choices use a CF card.

Lens ok.

What you mainly shoot ?

Tannin
02-11-2010, 6:58pm
7D is a much, much better camera. Better build quality (much better than the plastic 60D), weather sealing, vastly superior focus system. All three are good cameras (as, indeed, is your 450D) but the 7D is as much better than a 50D or 60D as the 50D is than a 450D. If you are going to upgrade, upgrade, don't fiddle about with half measures. If you don't want to spoend that much, that is fine too. Don't. Keep the 450D - it still takes a great picture.

twister
03-11-2010, 5:40am
The 60D will take the SD cards you currently have. The 7D and 50D use CF cards.

Batteries...tough question. The ###D and 1000D use smaller batteries (LP-E4, LP-E5)...the 50D going back to 30D, and 5Dc use the BP-511A which is a larger battery...the 7D (as well as 60D, 5D-II) use the even higher-capacity LP-E6 battery unit.

LJG
03-11-2010, 8:12am
I have a 450D and a 50D, the lenses all fit both, but that's it, nothing else is interchangeable

Bercy
03-11-2010, 10:55am
Both the 60D and 7D and hardly entry level cameras and in this kind of price range you will have not hit the law of diminishing returns quite yet. That is there is good value in paying a few hundred more and getting what will last you a very long time. Paying a lot more for some stripes and "designer colours" - forget it. But getting metal casing and weather sealing - now your talking. Poor value is paying $1.600 and then in 6 months time thinking about upgrading.

Mind you I waited for the 40D. What ever you buy - there will be another model in 6 months, so you have to learn to ignore the Blah Blah about new advances. There are outstanding photographs coming out of a 10 year old Fuji finepix which were a quasi forerunner of the SLR (er yeah I've got one of these and I still use it! - Occasionally)

Cheers

Berni

William
03-11-2010, 12:01pm
I reckon if your going to upgrade , Go to full Frame, I'm looking for used 5D in good nick ! just a thought Duane :);)

Roosta
03-11-2010, 12:15pm
I went through this same situation several months back, It came down to not wanting a DSLR that takes movies, So I went the 50d, it does everything I need and more, The 7D is a ripper, but I couldn't see the point for paying a little more for functions I didn't need or want, But that said, it may suit your needs if you want to shot video aswell.

As mentioned above, the weather proofing is there, so justification for price range I spose. Try picking a couple up, how do they feel, fingers to buttons and so forth, do you need the flip out live view screen (7D and 50D) dont have it, There is some negative feedback going around on a forum http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1019 , you may want to read. Not trying to turn you off 60D due to that, BUT ??

Pics per second, is that a issue for what you shoot ?

You might find a slightly cheaper body and a new bit of glass.

Also, If looking to realy up-date, Is full frame out of the price range, Lots of good second hand stuff and new deals going around with the 1 and 5 d new models coming out recently, and aussie dollor getting up there.

Good luck. :confused013

Duane Pipe
03-11-2010, 12:22pm
Thanks for the replys guys I am going for the 7d
I would love a full frame Bill but I like buying new so that puts it out of my price bracket

Speedway
03-11-2010, 12:22pm
Upgrade choices all come down to what you shoot and your budget. Going by the 150-500 it looks like animals and birds may be high on your list, also if sports are up there too I would suggest the 7D as the best choice even over the 5D2. (Better AF, higher FPS and more reach) the 60D would be ok if the budget is tight but I would hold on till I could get the 7D.
Keith.
PS Duane I think you need an extra 0 on that actuations count, mine is coming up to 20,000 in 9 months

Duane Pipe
03-11-2010, 12:41pm
Yeah Speedy, wild life, motor x and the like:th3:

Tannin
03-11-2010, 4:46pm
Oh, wildlife and motorsport. In that case, Speedway is 100% on the money - the AF system on the 7D is light years in front of the 20D/20D/40D/.50D/60D/5D/5D II. For stuff that moves (birds, cars, surfers, etc.) it's a no-brainer. You have made a good choice. Enjoy!

midnightexpress1
03-11-2010, 5:32pm
i would get the 7D or the 550D but if i know what i do know now, i would of got the 5D.imho the 550D takes better pics than the 60D.;)

Duane Pipe
03-11-2010, 6:27pm
Well guys I am now the proud owner of a 7d with a 15-85 lens and what a learning curve its going to be.
I would like to thank you all for the advice and recommendations, the 7d should do me for a very long time.
I would also like to thank my mum and dad for their help, without them I would not have the opportunity to own
such a camera.
Some of you may know that I have shoulder and neck injuries that limit me for work and I am finding it real hard in a district that hasn't got much to offer.

GO MUM & DAD:beer_mug::beer_mug::th3::th3:

Roosta
03-11-2010, 11:31pm
[QUOTE=Duane Pipe;714276]Well guys I am now the proud owner of a 7d with a 15-85 lens and what a learning curve its going to be.

Duane, This link is on the site, but here is the straight link to site, I have ordered the 50D Manual and DVD. From all the write ups ive read, sounds well worth it. Have a look and see what you think. The dvd allows you to sit camera in hand and watch as the camera is simply explained. Have fun ..

http://www.larkbooks.com/catalog?limit=10&query=magic+lantern+7d.. You can get it through fishpond, site sponsor, Just search 7d... :th3:

Duane Pipe
04-11-2010, 6:42am
Thanks for the link Roosta, It looks like the manual for the 7d is paper back without a dvd:th3: