PDA

View Full Version : Spyder3 express

Briancd
31-10-2010, 12:05pm
Finally got around to getting a monitor calibrator. Now that I have calibrated the monitor what do I do with the Spyder 3 Express hardware. Do I unplug it and store it away until I do the next calibration?

Wayne
31-10-2010, 2:40pm
You can do that, or leave it connected to take ambient light readings (assuming the express does that - My elite does) and it will tell you when it needs re-calibration.

OzzieTraveller
01-11-2010, 8:56am
G'day Brian

It's okay mate - if you go for more than 28 days between recalib's, it'll give you a small popup reminding you to get a glass of chardonnay and sit back while it does its stuff :cool:

Regards, phil

MattC
01-11-2010, 9:14am
Yep - put it back in the box (if you can work out how it goes back it - damn stupid packaging!) and then take it out when you need to re-calibrate.
The Express does not do ambient light measuring (at least mine doesn't). Also to can set the time period between re-calibration's.

arthurking83
01-11-2010, 12:36pm
I personally don't like the Spyder software.
I have the Elite version(because I have two monitors to calibrate) .. and by comparison to BasICColor display(v4pointsomething)... Spyder's software sucks!

You can leave it connected Brian, it doesn't take up any resources, other than a USB port. If you need that port for another device, then remove it and tuck the Spyder away safely into a desk drawer or something.
I found that the ambient light feature was not really useful as a warning, I think on Macs, it may automagically adjust screen brightness to compensate, but that's because Macs have software screen adjustability, whereas Windows doesn't.
(that's how I'm reading the feature lists.. I may be wrong on the Mac technicals, as I don't have one).
So for normal use, you won't see any benefit in having the Spyder connected and telling you the bleeding obvious.. that the light conditions have changed! :p

The light meter is handy for the software to guessitmate and recommend a good screen brightness setting, based on the current ambient light level.

Briancd
02-11-2010, 4:45pm
Thanks for the advice everyone...Phil, I think I would prefer a nice Shiraz.