PDA

View Full Version : Sigma APO 150 F2.8 Marco Lens V's The Rest

Roosta
30-10-2010, 3:29pm
I am looking to include a Macro lens to my collection. By all accounts either of the Canon 100mm IS or Non IS are both great lenses, no external rotation, quiet focus USM, quality glass and image.

The Tamron 90, also seems to get great write ups, but has the external focus (dust and the like issues) unlike the Sigma APO 150 and the Canon 100.

So, I was thinking that the Sigma has the zoom lenght, gets great write ups, but do I have a lenght fetist going on?? Not sure.

My last Macro lens, was with all my Olympus gear, 50mm, it worked a treat, but very invasive for small hard to target creatures, ok for flora.

So once again I'm in two minds as to which way to go,

The Canon 100mm,

The Sigma 150mm,

Any help, susgestions and any one that has the Sigma, your coments would be great.

Cheers,

Kerro
30-10-2010, 4:27pm
I have the Canon 100mm f2.8 non IS. I find it to be an excellent lens for macro work and a good landscape lens too.
Great for taking as a walk-around lens.

Bromeo
31-10-2010, 3:07pm
How do you shoot landscapes at 100mm? I have the 100mm non-IS as well, I'd reccomend it over the L IS version(*removed: baiting. site rule breach - admin) as I've never found myself needing IS. I usually shoot on a tripod if I use the macro, though.

Having said that, I generally use it for field work related to uni, not so much for chasing bugs.

arthurking83
31-10-2010, 3:21pm
Optical stabilisation is handy for some macro/closeup imagery. I use my Nikon 105VR in that manner too. Handy to have, so keep that in mind... but not really for 1:2-1:1 macro images tho.

Of course I have no experience with the Canon lens, but have (briefly) shot a few frames with the Sigma 150, and if I were to be looking for the best value for money lens with the best image quality possible, this is #1 on my list.
I think I've seen them for close to $600-800 from various grey retailers. Great lens!.. highly recommended.

How do you shoot landscapes at 100mm? ....

:confused:

Same way as you would with any other lens... set the composition and press the shutter release.

Roosta
31-10-2010, 5:01pm
Not all landscape shots are in a wide frame format. Maybe you could try incorparating that into your UNI Field Work, and show us some of your shots for cc ! :D

Roosta
31-10-2010, 5:04pm
Thanks AK83, I was wondering about the IS non IS (what ever each brand calls it) reviews i've read seem to rate it highly, internal focusing. So I guess I will just suck it and see.

Thanks,

I @ M
31-10-2010, 5:10pm
After having briefly used the exact same lens that Arthur was comparing the Sigma 150 is a very desirable piece of gear, sharp (bitingly so), colours are great and contrast is beaut.

Another point, when you succumb to the desire to go full frame the extra 50mm will come in handy. :D

Roosta
31-10-2010, 6:17pm
Thanks Andrew, Good point on the full frame bodies, hadn't thought about that.....:th3:

mrsgrumblebum
01-11-2010, 12:23am
Thank you for starting this thread Roosta, I am having the same dilema with the Canon 100mm IS or non IS and the Sigma 150mm.

I @ M
01-11-2010, 4:55am
And another thing to consider, the Sigma comes with a very usable tripod collar, after a quick look at the Canon website I can't see a collar on the 100mm.

Roosta
01-11-2010, 10:57am
It can be fitted, But like all Canon ad ons, cost is excessive for the part you purchase, On another thread, it was discussed and ebay was the clear winner for add on bits. In the Canon link.

And yes the collar will be very handy, did notice last night that the new OS,IS,VR, version is on the Sigma site, but cant get a release date, thats if it has been released yeet, no price on lens, all other lenses where priced.

Thanks again.

Roosta
01-11-2010, 11:24am
Howdy Mrs G, What have been your thoughts?

Mine so far are.
1, I like the longer focal lenght, easier and less evasive to critters, (I'm chasing bugs and the like)
2, Internal focusing system, very little chance of crap entering an working parts (I work in the mining industry in outback WA) I want to use it at work, so this is a big plus, rules out the Shorter Sigma and the Tamron.
3, Comes with tripod mount, no extra cost there,
4, New OS (Canon speak IS) model due for release,
5, Good prime lens, I shot rugby union, so it has another use.

Good information on the new lens and the non IS/OS version here, http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/macro-lenses

Love to know what your thoughts are, and how do you find the 60mm ??

fabian628
01-11-2010, 3:51pm
A few questions. What are you wanting to primarily shoot?
If insects i think that a long focal length is good, but I have found that the only insects that really fear close work is a butterfly and dragonfly. Other insects are generally quite happy to let you close, and the working distance may not be an issue.
If I am shooting macro without a flash I like to use the lens wide open or close to, becuase i think it looks much nicer in natural light, therefore dont use a tripod, and I think thats why the Image stabiliser would be handy in the 100 L IS model.
You should compare the working distance of the 150mm to the 100, it may be quite close (not sure), and compae the price, if the working distance of the 100 is decent, and you can afford the price, the 100 L IS version is what I would go for. I think it would make a great general tele lens with new gen 4 stop IS.
At the end of the day, i think all these lenses will do a fine job with someone who is capable, and the biggest consideration for me would be price, focal length /working distance and IS.
You may also consider the canon 180mm macro, which is an even longer working distance of them all! :th3:

SteveK
01-11-2010, 4:24pm
It can be fitted, But like all Canon ad ons, cost is excessive for the part you purchase, On another thread, it was discussed and ebay was the clear winner for add on bits. In the Canon link.

And yes the collar will be very handy, did notice last night that the new OS,IS,VR, version is on the Sigma site, but cant get a release date, thats if it has been released yeet, no price on lens, all other lenses where priced.

Thanks again.

While I can't compare the Sigma APO 150 as I only have a Canon EF 100 f2.8 Non IS I have fornd this lens to be great in all respects. I wish sometimes that it was IS but I find with macro, I tend to move slightly forward/back and loose focus that way, can't see IS fixing that.

I purchased on ebay a non Canon collar for the lens but found that it would slip off and sit between the lens and camera. I had to manufacture a ring that would clamp to the lens at the rear of the collar to keep it in place now works OK. I don't know whether the Canon ring will stay put when adjusting but I wouldn't be to happy if it didn't as I would amagine the cost would be 4times what I paid.

Roosta
01-11-2010, 5:43pm
Thanks Fabian, Mainly critters, had a 50mm with my trusty old Olympus and loved it, but had to crawl ontop of the or Pea Bo them to make em sit so to speak. I like the idea of also having the 150 as a prime lens, I've got a 1.4 convertor which would be usefull for a larger prime, sporting stuff.

Beside that, the Canon L sounds really good. I did read on the Sigma site that the 150 is due to be released with (OS - IS - VR) so that would make it even more desirable, and yes the 180 would be nice, but price is a killer on that, even with the ozzie $ and grey market pricing.

Also in my thinking is the crop factor, both would give me the extra depth so?

Thanks.

Roosta
01-11-2010, 5:49pm
Thanks Steve, yeap the collor mount pricing has been raised before, for the price it's madness. On the canon forum page there was a thread on the 70-200 F2.8 collars, some site on ebay was selling from all report quality collars and at bargin prices. Good to see ozzie ingenunity out and about.

The choice is hard. No IS like yours would probally do me, but for a few dollars more roughly $50, I can get the 150 Sigma no OS. It is also just been anounced that Sigma has an IS-OS version out, spoke to CR Kennedy and not expected till juneish next year (drawback). Probally cost the price of a small african country but.

Will be making my mind up soon.

Thanks again for input.

mrsgrumblebum
04-11-2010, 8:15am
Hey Roosta sorry about the delay in posting.
Re: the 60mm I really like it and is quite sharp but I feel I could do with a bit more reach and after a bit of research came up with the sigma 150mm. I think the new model 150mm with OS is still going to be a little way off.
From what I have read on the 100mm IS I like, and what do you know the jury is still out so to speak, still can't make up my mind. Other half gave me the money and said here go and buy your self a lens and it will be your xmas pressie, I feel very lucky but I just can't make my decision :confused013 .
All the best with your decision Roosta, let me know when you decide which way you have gone.