PDA

View Full Version : Problems with editing in element

wilto
28-10-2010, 10:29pm
Righto, here goes at explaining my little problem. have just finished doing a few adjustements using nikons raw converter(view nx). Ok that all went well...
pretty happy with images.
Now my little problem i have is trying to edit the pics im elements ive dragged the ones i want to edit across but now go to make a start in elements but says the the file is missing and try to do a search to find it, also has an option to find them manually but dont really no whats going on as this hasnt happened before.
Im just wondering if it has anything to do with the way ive saved them

The process ive done is transfer from camera(raw files) to the view nx then made adjustments then save to my external hard drive as jpeg, then from there drag all images across to elements now have hit my problem..
Any help will greatly appreciated.Cheers

arthurking83
28-10-2010, 11:11pm
Hey Brad.

You shouldn't have to drag anything anywhere.

First of all, setup ViewNX using the Toolbar selection.... Edit->Options->(in the options dialogue box) go to the Open with Application setting(on the left pane) and then hit the [Add] button. Search for the Elements program selection icon and make sure it's selected and hit OK. This now adds Elements in the Open With dialogue, and if you're running ViewNX2, you can now add Elements in the upper selection bar as a quick access icon to open files with.

Doing this will open any highlighted image in Elements automagically and will open it as a TIFF image(better than JPG).

Alternatively: Just make your ViewNX edits, and save it as a tiff file(jpg if you must, but tiff is really so much better to edit), using the convert files tool. Convert the files to whatever format you desire and make sure when you do this, you're being specific on where to save the converted images. I think by default, ViewNX may want to save them into your My Pictures folder(in Windows.. dunno about Mac??)... not really sure, but there is also an option to save them in the original folder.

If you're a keen photographer, you should set yourself up with a solid and well defined directory structure where you save all your images. One thing I'm pedantic about is saving any non raw files in sub folders called jpgs within the main folder that contains the raw files. My main reason for doing this, other than simplicity(in not having duplicate files of the same image) is that when I do my regular clean up, I tend to delete non raw files(which includes tiffs, jpgs, bmps, pngs etc....) having them all in separate folders is the best way to keep sane about it all. When the time comes, I simply search for all the jpg folders and delete them as needed.
Images never get lost.. I know where they end up without exception.

I do this open with routine all the time, where I may open with other programs like Neat Image, PhotoMe, or when I had Lightroom3(trial) a while back.... never had any issues with losing images.

Your use of the phrase "drag them across to Elements" is a bit confusing(maybe because I never use the stuff! :D).. but usually, when opening an image with a editor, you don't normally drag anything anywhere.. you open with/open file(s) or right click an image and select open with <specific program> using Windows Explorer.

wilto
29-10-2010, 7:09am
Hey Arthurking,
Thanks a million for taking the time to give me some guidence.
I will be trying to put it into action this afternoon after work hopfully i can work it out
Thanks again
Brad

wilto
29-10-2010, 7:21am
Hi again Arthur,
couldnt help my self to give it a quick go and you have lead me in the right direction thanks heaps but just another one is it better to save as 16bit or 8 bit
Thanks again

ricktas
29-10-2010, 7:29am
Agree 100% with AK.

Don't drag them to Elements! Do as AK suggests, but for those already saved as JPG. In Elements, go File>Open and locate your files that way, to open them.

ricktas
29-10-2010, 7:31am
Hi again Arthur,
couldnt help my self to give it a quick go and you have lead me in the right direction thanks heaps but just another one is it better to save as 16bit or 8 bit
Thanks again

JPG is only 8 bit, so no matter what you choose, you will end up with an 8-bit JPG. The entire JPG format is built as an 8-bit image format. If you want to retain all the detail of a 16-bit image, save as a TIF, but remember you will need lots of HDD space, as TIF files are HUGE!

arthurking83
29-10-2010, 11:04am
As Rick said; 16bit tiffs if you want:

a. the best possible raster image file type to work with.
b. best possible high quality print work(from a quality printer, not a quickie 5 min Kodak Kiosk type photo.

also setup ViewNX to work in the aRGB colourspace.. BUT!!! only if you think you're ever going to get very high quality prints from your images.
If the major reason for editing/working on the file is for web/pc/screen display, leave it as is and don't change the colourspace. The raw image is the main file you want to preserve. If you work on images and work in the adobeRGB colourspace, you should then set up Elements to save in the sRGB colourspace for 100% compatibility with all web browsers, as some web browsers dont' recognise colourspace and need sRGB. And (as far as I still know) quick cheapo Kiosk photo services require the sRGB colourspace for 100% correct printing of photos.
It's not a vital requirement, but for that last 5-10% improvement in colour reproduction on a high quality print, adobeRGB can make a difference. Note this is for any TIFF or JPG file, not your raw files. Raw files have no colourspace dependencies to be weary of. Shoot in any colourspace and don't worry about it.

I shoot in sRGB for ease.. I maintain the sRGB colourspace for the ease of the bulk of my image display requirements. It's only if I ever want a high quality print output,that I go back and re-save the raw file in the adobeRGB colourspace(this is trivially easy to do).

Because of the way you edit your images and file handling ability of Elements as I think I understand it, save in 16bit TIFF and adobeRGB(or if you have it in Elements, ProPhotoRGB). From this file, save to jpg and sRGB for web display.
Reason I say this is that Elements or PS/LR..etc, don't work directly on the RAW file itself. While they may save the edits in some separate files for posterity, I've found that having to backup/save/look for/reload software..etc, having to keep track of multiple files is a bit harder than looking after a single file. This kind of takes up room on a PC, even tho you have loads of hdd space now, over time they become bloated.
This is one of the major attractions to using Nikon's CaptureNX software! :th3: You only ever have one file to concern yourself with, the original NEF file captured in the camera. all other files can be safely deleted once you've saved the edits in the NEF file. CNX tho is not for everyone. it's way more basic as an editor than lots of free programs.. but it's a good quality editor. I still need to use other thirdparty programs(mainly Neat Image) for noise reduction :( and so forth. Adobe's software is much more full featured.. that's for sure.. but for me, and my (basic)requirements... unnecessary superfluous embellishments.