PDA

View Full Version : ? camera raw and lightroom:

ricstew
24-10-2010, 8:51pm
Ok so I open my raw file in CR........i fiddle with it in ps........then I have to save as ......whatever...... so do I then have to import it into LR? Can LR "see" what I am doing in PS> like LR can "see" what I am doing in PS......if that makes sense.
I am totally impressed with the CR .....way better than what I can do in LR regarding noise etc........ BUT.......LR has such a nice way of sorting ........what would be the best way to use Camera Raw??
cheers
Jan

peterking
25-10-2010, 2:02pm
From my bit of checking, Yes. You will need to import the result into LR.
Although, If I'm right as I don't have PS and can't test this, I think you should be able to
1. Import into LR
2. Use LR to open CR and make adjustments then save them, then back to LR.
3. Use LR to open PS and make what changes you want then save again and return to LR.
This is from my understanding of LR. THere others on this site who seem to know better than me and should be able to advise more specifically.
One question I would ask is PC or Mac?

terrencechin
25-10-2010, 2:06pm
I usually import into LR first and then from there make adjustments in PS. That way LR knows what's going on and I don't have to import again.

etherial
25-10-2010, 2:19pm
Camera Raw and Lightroom share the same engine so the results should be the same, therefore there is no reason to us CR. The only difference might be that CR is updated more frequently so maybe you've seen an improvement there before it hit the Lightroom update. I notice you say CR does a better job of noise reduction than LR. Note that LR3 included a massive jump forward in this area, so if you aren't using it maybe you should upgrade. Get the latest LR and all your problems there should be solved.

maccaroneski
25-10-2010, 2:23pm
I think that they are keeping the raw processing engines in ACR and Lightroom in lock-step these days, so there should be no difference.

The key is I think that after opening and adjusting in LR, in PS hit "save" rather than "save as" and you will be brought straight back into LR.

ricstew
25-10-2010, 3:18pm
I have LR 2.5......and its not as good as CR........but I like the way it uses the meta data and such.......
In theory I should be able open the image in LR send to CR as the PEF or DNG and then to PS as a tiff and then back to LR?
So where does Bridge come into it? I just found that in PS last night.......:confused013
cheers
Jan

etherial
25-10-2010, 3:59pm
Upgrade to LR3 and forget CR. LR3 and PS and you're done.

ricstew
25-10-2010, 6:18pm
aww foohey I cant spend any more money!

maccaroneski
25-10-2010, 6:40pm
You can always download the 30 day trial and save in the meantime... you'll also see whether it makes any difference to your workflow, and if not, then you're set.

Dan Gamble
25-10-2010, 6:48pm
LR will see TIFF files which is what I usually save my layer PS files in (uncompressed) as well as .PSD.... This is in addition to the workflow set out by Peter.

Just my hackers way of being able to see an original as well as the modified version in the LR Library after PP in PS.