PDA

View Full Version : Grey imports

acko
22-10-2010, 10:17am
I have been procrastinating for a while about buying the 70-200 2.8 IS USM series 2 lens.
Surfing the net I have found prices that vary between 2350 - 3100 $AUD. I have in the past dealt with ***** and they were excellent, but they are not price competitive on this lens at the moment.

Who has dealt with others, who are they, and how did you go? I am not interested in going through a Hong Kong dealer, as I guess you would have to pay GST when the parcel gets here, and that kinda kills the bargain.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Bercy
22-10-2010, 1:09pm
This matter was discussed last year, in regard to this lens, with much the same issues. However this is a new lens! I had a lot of troubel getting a Tokina 50-135mm but finally secured one from Japan. I am not at all judgemental about the international origins, and wonder if you have had poor experiences in the past? I have used camerawarehouse.com.au and cameradirect.com.au Camerasdirect is at $2,827, so obviously some Australian providers are less expensive. About the same as DD. DWI has it at $2,400 but then your getting into whether that includes GST - as per your point. On Ebay - clearly imported, the price is still about $2,400 and then there is fine print, which does not specifically say that GST is payable, but you know and I know it is and so you may as well add $240 the price, even with free shipping. I figure camera direct is looking not too bad and is to my knowledge a purely Aust distributor, and not a grey importer. I am happy to be corrected. I don't have any shares in any stores!! Just going on my personal experience. Good luck.

Bercy
22-10-2010, 1:40pm
Just a quick note: There is one store called cameradirect.com.au and another called camerasdirect.com.au. I'm pretty sure its the latter store I have dealt with; not sure about the former. Cameras Direct is in Labrador Queensland. Good Luck.

mitgonk
22-10-2010, 2:06pm
at that price you may as well get the mkII 2.8 lens

try our forum sponser digital rev, i believe they have it on their website for $2580 inc gst

DigitalRev
22-10-2010, 8:26pm
at that price you may as well get the mkII 2.8 lens

try our forum sponser digital rev, i believe they have it on their website for $2580 inc gst

Thanks Mitgonk for referring! Yes, we do have this product in stock. After GST and Shipping, the cost is AU$2,633.81.

You can find the item here Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM (http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-4095091-10823989?url=http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product_details.php?item_id=7697)

etherial
22-10-2010, 8:53pm
I bought my 70-200/2.8IS MkI from a recognised Canon dealer in Melbourne as the prices for grey weren't worth the hassle or risk. It also helped that I was going OS and could claim back the GST (on the duty free scheme). Funny it is the only significant bit of gear I have bought full retail and I had problems with it and had to send it back to Canon! All sorted now, but I found it ironic.

la lumiere
22-10-2010, 9:06pm
Hi I bought this lens a week ago. :D Checked out prices all over the world - looked at grey imports. Tossed around pros and cons.
Best prices I could come up with dealing with people in Aus were from -Digital World International (overseas stock), NG (Night Grooves??) in Queensland - Fabian was great, very helpful and is an AP sponsor and Michael's Camera Store in Melbourne. Michael's ended up cheapest Aus stock and was easy because I could collect it so no postage and insurance costs. Have to say I was very surprised as I had presumed they would not be price competitive. Ted's and Kirk's were certainly nowhere near the price I paid.
It's frustrating and slow but is worth doing your research.
Good luck and I'm sure you'll love the lens! :)
Hope this helps. Cheers.

bricat
26-10-2010, 8:03am
Have dealt with digital review before they became a site sponsor and their pricing is very very good. And delivery was quick also. cheers Brian

Graeme Buckland
26-10-2010, 12:31pm
I have been bying most of my camera's and lenses from JB HI Fi Cameras in Elizabeth and no one has come anywhere near them in price, give them the price and if its not better than you have tell them and see what they do.

acko
27-10-2010, 6:09pm
I have been bying most of my camera's and lenses from JB HI Fi Cameras in Elizabeth and no one has come anywhere near them in price, give them the price and if its not better than you have tell them and see what they do.

Do you mean the Elizabeth here in South Australia?

etherial
27-10-2010, 8:58pm
Do you mean the Elizabeth here in South Australia?

I could be wrong, but I think he means Elizabeth St in Melbourne.

darkmerlin
27-10-2010, 9:18pm
I got mine in August after asking some of the Aust Ebay sellers if they would do a special package deal. Can't tell you who I got it from as it would be breaking the rules (not enough posts) but I ended up getting:
Canon 7D Body,
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM EF Lens
Sandisk Extreme 32gb 60mb/s CF card
Delivered for $4550.

I felt I got a good deal and I'm so glad that I went for the MkII ...... I love it.

acko
30-10-2010, 1:40pm
on 13/10/2010 I purchased the 70-200 2.8L IS II USM from DDP for $2,865. I bought it from the North Sydney store, I felt more comfortable buying from a real store.

I love the lens, it is a great buy at whatever price.

Yes, I have dealt with them before.
I tried a couple of Australian outlets, and they were at least $450 higher than DDP.
Still procrastinating.

Greeny
31-10-2010, 6:16pm
I recently purchased from DigitalRev and the service & pricing was good ... but being a Hong Kong based company you can't re-claim GST like you can with an Australian based company .. so that's something else to consider if you are travelling overseas within 30 days of your purchase ...

Bercy
09-12-2010, 11:40am
Go out and take pictures of the thunder clouds! Actually as I speak - looking out my window - whilst working hard....the sun is shining, so sneak out and take a few pictures...go on! :th3:

ElectricImages
21-12-2010, 1:23pm
I bought my EF 70-200mmL IS II USM from DigitalRev (via eBay) for about A$2600, courier-delivered. Awesome lens, and great, fast delivery (just 4 days!). :) I had a good experience with DigitalRev and can recommend them to others from my experience. :)

ving
21-12-2010, 1:41pm
digital rev are great, i have used them in the past... they are also a site advertiser! :D

Flash Hit
21-12-2010, 2:08pm
Citiwide online for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is $2135 with 18 MONTHS Door2Door Pick up Warranty. This must be a shonky deal!