PDA

View Full Version : Help with settings for late afternoon/evening with Nikon D3000

Chinook
19-10-2010, 7:40pm
Can someone please advice setting for the above camera for a later afternoon evening shoot tonight please?

Never done a night shoot before. Thanks:)

DesmondD
19-10-2010, 7:49pm
There are many variables , one of them being whether you will have a flash or not .
A simple approach would be to use program mode and set auto-iso to adjust at 1/125th sec if it's a last minute thing .

RaoulIsidro
19-10-2010, 8:11pm
Try using the full auto mode first. (Green Rectangle) This will automatically pop up the flash if it gets too dark.
Set the camera to auto ISO in the menu.
The camera will try to crank up the ISO which will make the midtones grainy when zoomed for detail.
If you have an external flash, use it instead of the on-camera flash.

matt shepherd
19-10-2010, 8:29pm
We really need some more info like are you shooting wide angle with a tripod or some other sort of shot. When I shoot low light scenery sort of shots I like to use a tripod and shoot in manual that way you can set your iso low to keep noise at a minimum then I set the F/stop to say f 8 to start with and change the shutter speed until the camera meters correctly take a shot and then adjust to suite the shot you are after.
I will say that their is no correct settings for a shoot it is all about changing the settings to get the result you are after. As long as you can understand the relationship between iso/aperture/shutter speed.
I hope this helps and hasn't confused the hell out of you. maybe someone else could explain it better.

skunky
21-12-2010, 5:49pm
If I'm shooting in varying lighting situations, I'll normally keep the D3000 in aperture priority mode with the ISO set to 200, but automatically stepping up to 800 if the shutter speed drops below 1/100th. ISO 800 is pretty noisy on the 3000, but I'd rather have a noisy sharp shot than a blurred mess :)