PDA

View Full Version : remote shutter release question.

ving
19-10-2010, 12:08pm
the d40 and d90 use the same remote shutter release which was handy when i upgraded and while the shutter is still released with the remote i used on the d40 it no longer focuses.... weird

on the d40 when you hit the release button the camera will focus before taking the shot, but the d90 will just shoot. is there something in the menu system i am missing that should be turned on so that it will focus because i am having to preform prefocus and hope it hits the spot on say self portraits.:confused013

I @ M
19-10-2010, 1:04pm
Are you using the AF ON button to focus when not using the remote?
If you are and the menu has a setting to enable shutter release without focus being achieved as other Nikon models have, no amount of button pushing on the remote will make the camera focus.

ving
19-10-2010, 1:52pm
eh? af on button?

maccaroneski
19-10-2010, 2:06pm
Andrew is wondering whether you activate autofocus (without the remote on) with a half press of the shutter or via the AE-L / AF-L botton on the back of the camera.

As that seems not to be the case, what autofocus mode are you in? AF-A, AF-S or AF-C? I think that if you are in AF-C mode you will have the problem that you are describing (because the camera is set to take a shot even if the scene is not in focus) whereas with the other two, focus must be locked before you can take a shot.

I @ M
19-10-2010, 4:50pm
Tony said it better than I did well, no wonder he gets paid a small fortune to talk. :D

maccaroneski
19-10-2010, 4:58pm
Yes I can talk $hit but it appears to dribble all over my photos as well, unlike yours Andrew :)

ving
19-10-2010, 6:08pm
thanks tony. all sorted :D