PDA

View Full Version : Picture mode malfunction - Pentax *ist DL

David J
18-10-2010, 9:51pm
I have had my Pentax *ist DL in 2006 and I have been thinking of upgrading for the last few months. Now I think the decision may have been made for me.

Last Sunday week I was walking through the bush in Bunyip State Park when I came across a wombat in a perfect pose. I got my camera out, changed the picture mode, zoomed and focused and pressed the shutter release. Nothing happened and the wombat ambled off.

I tried another couple of shots on different picture modes but, again, nothing happened. I had some difficult walking ahead of me so I put the camera away.

During the week I was at Halls Gap and thought I might get some shots of the very tame kangaroos. Again my camera didn't work but I had time to check the displays.

The LCD panel was blank apart from the battery indicator and the number of shots remaining.

The viewfinder showed nothing but a flickering aperture indicator.

I then checked the LCD monitor as I changed picture modes and, apart from a brief flash, nothing and certainly not the usual image denoting picture mode.

Is this a terminal problem or something I can have repaired for less than the cost of a new camera?

Thanks

David

Kym
18-10-2010, 10:38pm
Sounds like an electronic fault.
1. Call CR Kennedy (Pentax distributor) and at least ask for a quote

Then either/both...
2. Have a look at the new K-5 due out late this month or the new K-R
3. Watch the 2nd hand market for K-X or K20D or K-7 (due to the K-5 and K-r)

ZedEx
18-10-2010, 10:55pm
what lens do you have? If there is an apeture ring, be sure you have it set to A or similar, for auto. Either that, or maybe communication error between the body and the lens. Check the pins are clean and not stuck down etc

David J
18-10-2010, 11:29pm
Good options for my replacement camera Kym, but ZedEx has postponed my new acquisition:)

I changed back to the 18-50mm lens and the problem disappeared. I then fiddled with the aperture ring on my 80-210mm (the lens I was using when the malfunction happened) and the camera is now working fine with that lens too.

Damn - I had just about convinced my wife that I had to have a new camera:confused013

Thanks for your help:th3:

ricktas
19-10-2010, 6:49am
Good options for my replacement camera Kym, but ZedEx has postponed my new acquisition:)

I changed back to the 18-50mm lens and the problem disappeared. I then fiddled with the aperture ring on my 80-210mm (the lens I was using when the malfunction happened) and the camera is now working fine with that lens too.

Damn - I had just about convinced my wife that I had to have a new camera:confused013

Thanks for your help:th3:

hehehehe. Now you know what caused it, you can easily 'break' it again..then go show the wife. :D

ZedEx
19-10-2010, 8:00am
hehe I thought that's what it would be, stumbled across this problem a couple of times actually. Had a customer who bought a pentax dSLR and a great whopping sigma 300 f2.8 off me a while back, and he was dismayed that his 4 grand worth of kit wasn't taking pictures!
At least you know how to 'break' it again, as Rick said, so there is always time to get a new one ;)

JM Tran
19-10-2010, 11:04am
Im willing to bet that the cost of repairs will be more than the camera is worth, the DL would be worth $200 or less these days anyway - so just use it as an excuse to upgrade to a newer body:)

I had water damage in my DL from falling into a river in the snows in 2005, took it back under warranty and told them it just stopped working hehehe, so they fixed it and didnt ask a question - luckily.

David J
19-10-2010, 9:34pm
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

I was about to upgrade to a K-7 and had put in the groundwork for approval. However, I ended up buying a new car and have put the camera on hold for a while. The new models may change my choice or, if the price is right, speed up purchase of a K-7.

It has been a learning experience, not the least tracking down an on-line manual for the DL.

Regards

David

Kym
19-10-2010, 9:39pm
All Pentax manuals.... http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

ZedEx
21-10-2010, 7:49am
Um, I solved the problem a few posts back so no, the cost of repairs certainly was worth it (free) :p

Im willing to bet that the cost of repairs will be more than the camera is worth, the DL would be worth $200 or less these days anyway - so just use it as an excuse to upgrade to a newer body:)

I had water damage in my DL from falling into a river in the snows in 2005, took it back under warranty and told them it just stopped working hehehe, so they fixed it and didnt ask a question - luckily.