PDA

View Full Version : Documenting flash settings

elyshiamadison
18-10-2010, 9:40pm
Probably sounds like a really stupid question... how do you all document your off camera flash settings for each shot? eg power setting, zoom, and position of flash in relation to subject.

I'm finding I get so caught up trying to get the shots right - I completely forget what settings I was using for the shot to "work" by the time I load them on the computer.

MarkChap
18-10-2010, 11:58pm
It is called a note book and pen/pencil

Back in the day, there was no EXIF data to fall back on, I can remember filling many a note book with shot stats

But it depends on how much info you want to record/recall, generally once I have made a decision on flash to subject position (normally quite close), that dictates what my aperture will be. After that although positioning may change I keep the distances and hence the flash power and aperture pretty constant.

Shutter speed and aperture are recorded in EXIF anyway, so a quick look tells me if I have varied the flash power, either by distance or by actual adjustment

elyshiamadison
19-10-2010, 12:42am
I knew it was a stupid question lol....

Off to buy some note books tomorrow :)

DesmondD
19-10-2010, 7:53pm
I knew it was a stupid question lol....

Off to buy some note books tomorrow :)

It's not a stupid question actually because there are other solutions . Have a look at my "flash " album (http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Flash/) on photobucket . I sometimes have another camera handy to photograph my setup and then add text to them later . My handwriting is too untidy and I'm too forgetful to use a notebook .

elyshiamadison
19-10-2010, 8:56pm
Thanks Desmond - you gave me a few ideas for testing out my 2 flash units ;) one's controls are quite intuitive the other is NOT!! Pity we threw out all the girls dolls lol. Will have to find another inanimate object to test with (maybe a transfomer will do the trick)

And second camera is a great idea, I am hopeless with notes...

DesmondD
20-10-2010, 5:06am
Thanks Desmond - you gave me a few ideas for testing out my 2 flash units ;) one's controls are quite intuitive the other is NOT!! Pity we threw out all the girls dolls lol. Will have to find another inanimate object to test with (maybe a transfomer will do the trick)

And second camera is a great idea, I am hopeless with notes...

I stopped using the "life like" baby doll because I always got comments about how creepy it looks :rolleyes:
Now I use the cream coloured football instead .

My subject .....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Flash/zgoingmanual020.jpg

My notes .......

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Flash/zgoingmanual087.jpg

elyshiamadison
20-10-2010, 10:18am
The doll may have looked a little creepy strung up on a tripod, BUT was a good idea for testing ambient v's flash esp the one's where the doll was in shade with strong sun backlight ;) It's alot closer to skin tones than the ball:) That is something I have to practise getting right!

I can't seem to find anyone willing to stand and be flashed to death, while I play lololol.

DesmondD
20-10-2010, 10:30am
The doll may have looked a little creepy strung up on a tripod, BUT was a good idea for testing ambient v's flash esp the one's where the doll was in shade with strong sun backlight ;) It's alot closer to skin tones than the ball:) That is something I have to practise getting right!

I can't seem to find anyone willing to stand and be flashed to death, while I play lololol.

I live on my own in the middle of a farm so I can't even ask ! :)

elyshiamadison
20-10-2010, 10:34am
True ;)

I often wonder what the neighbours think here when they see the flash going off in the house and absurd hours ;) There's 6 yards that back onto mine - so I figure at some stage someone has thought what the????? lol

My kids run a mile now when the camera comes out, grrrr.....