PDA

View Full Version : CS5 to buy from a store or online

KarenC
18-10-2010, 1:06pm
I am looking to purchase CS5 extended and would like to know if it can be bought over the counter at a store. I am heading down to Sydney in a few weeks, could anyone tell me where I could purchase it from preferably around Sutherland Shire or can it only be bought online. I have scoured the internet but alas have come up with nothing except online purchase. I am not to keen about downloading over the internet and in a sort of no fixed address position at the moment. :rolleyes:
Thanks
Karenc

Boo53
18-10-2010, 1:40pm
Karen

Is it the volume of download (it is about 1gB) that concerns you, or do you particularly want it on disk.

I must admit I've recently downloaded it & it does take a while without adsl2, but with 1 son still at uni I was able to get the student discount version that way quite easily.

KarenC
18-10-2010, 4:30pm
I would prefer it on disk and can get discount

Lee79
23-10-2010, 6:19pm
I'm in a similar predicament. Harvey Norman sells the student version or at least I have seen it advertised in Mackay. As a teacher I can buy it through the education department, online or apparently from Harvey Norman.

My issue is which one to buy. Someone suggested I get lightroom and others have said CS5, I dont think I can stretch the budget to the extended version though. I'm in the process of downloading free trials of each and then making my decision. Need to get it soon as hopefully I wont be a teacher for much longer ;)

I'm in the same mind as you Karen and would prefer it on disk. Is it because then you have a backup if something goes wrong?

Boo53
24-10-2010, 11:34am
When I ordered CS5 with sons When my son ordered CS5 "he" was able to get student LR for $90 more so went with that

KarenC
27-10-2010, 3:25pm
Thanks for the feedback, arrived in Emerald ,asked around a few stores, someone directed me to one in particular and they ordered it in for me, just have to pick it up and at the right price, actually less than on the net!!! :th3:

davwhite
27-10-2010, 4:05pm
I'm in a similar predicament. Harvey Norman sells the student version or at least I have seen it advertised in Mackay. As a teacher I can buy it through the education department, online or apparently from Harvey Norman.

My issue is which one to buy. Someone suggested I get lightroom and others have said CS5, I dont think I can stretch the budget to the extended version though. I'm in the process of downloading free trials of each and then making my decision. Need to get it soon as hopefully I wont be a teacher for much longer ;)

I'm in the same mind as you Karen and would prefer it on disk. Is it because then you have a backup if something goes wrong?

But if you download you can make a copy of the download before you install

campo
27-10-2010, 4:12pm
I bought CS4 from one of the AP sponsors (sorry, can't remember who anymore) and their price for the box + postage was cheaper then the download from Adobe!

SPL
16-11-2010, 1:00am
Until 19 Nov Adobe are offering half price CS5 to Elements owners and 30% of Lightroom if you buy it at the same time. I got an email from adobe with the offer which did say you had to the shop through the email link. That did bring the software into reach at $531 for the download.

Cheers

hourican
18-11-2010, 9:16pm
Try this if you have children at school age or at university you can get the student extended version for $300 from adobe direct proof is required give it a go.

ollie
18-11-2010, 9:22pm
When I ordered CS5 with sons When my son ordered CS5 "he" was able to get student LR for $90 more so went with that

Can i ask what site?

Boo53
18-11-2010, 9:25pm
Can i ask what site?

Got it from adobe site adobe.com.au

ricktas
18-11-2010, 9:28pm
NOTE : if you get a student edition, you can only use the software for personal use. You are in breach of the terms of use, if you sell any photos you process using it.

Longshots
18-11-2010, 9:28pm
I bought my last version of CS5 from Harris Technology - a hard copy - cheaper than buying from Adobe.

Boo53
19-11-2010, 4:00pm
NOTE : if you get a student edition, you can only use the software for personal use. You are in breach of the terms of use, if you sell any photos you process using it.

That is indeed correct.

I'm not going to be selling any photos so no problems with the student licence, but in any event in a lot of ways Elements is a lot easier to use and elements 9 seems very attractive.

Interesting tho. I noticed that in Aus the best price for elements 9 is around $140, but in the US it can be had for $80 from a number of vendors, including Dell & Apple

bxaftw
03-02-2011, 9:21am
my understanding is that the "educational" not student/teacher version can be used without exemption for any purpose. exactly the same as the full version but a lot cheaper.

can anyone confirm this.

ricktas
03-02-2011, 12:06pm
my understanding is that the "educational" not student/teacher version can be used without exemption for any purpose. exactly the same as the full version but a lot cheaper.

can anyone confirm this.

You would need to check with Adobe directly, but the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) used to include a condition that it could NOT be used for commercial purposes. But like every legal document (which the EULA is), it can be amended and Adobe would be the best place to get the correct current answer to that

bnkstr
03-02-2011, 11:14pm
No links because I'm still under 50 posts but if you look on the FAQ section of the adobe website it says you may use the student edition for both personal and commercial use

cupic
27-05-2011, 8:57pm
My Son bought his from HN and if Im good he lets me play with it.he got his Student Discount Card
cheers