PDA

View Full Version : noise or hot spots

warhammer
18-10-2010, 1:47am
ok i done a some 30 min exposures on two separate nights and on reviewing the pictures i noticed a couple of red and green dots in the same positions on each picture, are these what you call hot spots and how can i avoid them....? (im not talking about the tiny dots which are every were in the dark areas that i think is just noise from long exposures )
any help would be great..
i am using a canon 7d and 24-105mm lens for these photo's if that makes any difference to working my problem out...
thanx warhammer...........................

GoldZilla
18-10-2010, 2:29am
Can you post a pic so we can see what you're talking about?

ricktas
18-10-2010, 7:25am
red and green spots are hot pixels. When doing very long exposures, after each shot leave the camera for a few minutes to let the sensor cool down. They are called hot, cause they are mostly caused by a long exposure which heats the sensor up, and causes them. If you only have a few, they are easy to clone out.

kiwi
18-10-2010, 8:01am
Yip, ricks got it........as opposed to dead pixels which are there all the time where you might need a sensor remap

warhammer
18-10-2010, 11:23am
sorry goldzilla i cant put the pictures up till i have served my 30 days hard time.
thanx for the reply ricktas and kiwi, i think that is what is happening for sure, all though the sensor was cool because the photo's were taken on different nights and were the only one's taken on both nights..
how or what is cloning out...?

ricktas
21-10-2010, 8:06am
sorry goldzilla i cant put the pictures up till i have served my 30 days hard time.
thanx for the reply ricktas and kiwi, i think that is what is happening for sure, all though the sensor was cool because the photo's were taken on different nights and were the only one's taken on both nights..
how or what is cloning out...?

Of course you can. Posting photos, as i have advised you before, is available to you from your very first post on the site. You just do not have access to the site gallery. See here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?68933-Inserting-photos-into-your-threads-and-posts-New-Screens-%28October-2010%29) for how to post photos

Cloning is using the clone tool in your editing software (photoshop etc) to remove them and replace them with a pixel colour of the surrounding area so that it blends in well.

warhammer
23-10-2010, 5:47pm
thanks.. ricktas