PDA

View Full Version : canon 70-200 f4 non-IS vs IS

tmd77
17-10-2010, 10:32pm
Ok so i've been trawling through searches and google and anything i can get my hands on to try and find one thing out - Is the canon 70-200 IS version actually worth double than what the non-IS version is?

I don't have a "style" of photography yet, as i'm still feeling my way in this hobby.

i can get the non-IS version for about $720, with the IS version for about $1,200, and with the aussie dollar at the moment it makes it quite attractive, but $500 is a huge difference in price.

In my mind i'm thinking of going with the non-IS to start with and as i get more and more experience, then upgrade to the IS version when required.

i understand the physical elements of what benefits that IS have, but what i'm looking for is the practical experience of members here who have used both the non-IS and IS versions and whether in their opinion the IS is actually worth $500 more or not?

I'd value any contributions that you might have!

thanks in advance

Bercy
18-10-2010, 1:04am
I don't have any IS lenses in my swag. I do have the 70-200l F4. This is a terrific lens. There are the basic rules of shutter speed inverse to focal length. In good daylight conditions I have not experienced any notable problems of blurring due to overt camera shake. When It counts I usually use a tripod. I guess I don't miss something I have never had though. The quality of the images and bokeh are pretty good. I think for $700 it is outstanding value. You could get a top notch tripod with the change, although I daresay you already have one!

JM Tran
18-10-2010, 2:12am
I have gotten shots at 1/15th and 1/20th, and a few at 1/10th if I brace better, all hand held at 150mm to 200mm focal length with the 70-200 F4 IS, its almost humanly impossible to do so due to our heart beat and pulse and body movement, unless u are Robocop:)

I have gotten many shots at slow shutter speed to draw in more light, such as with flash for more ambient lighting behind the subject, or low light situations - IS is invaluable to my kind of work in wedding, commercial, fashion and travel photography.

Just spend 500 more and get it and be over and done with instead of selling the non IS and buying the IS later, I dont see the logic in that. You can learn on both lenses the same - IS can be turned off with a flick of a switch to turn into a non IS lens, naturally.

amuller
18-10-2010, 5:31pm
I have gotten shots at 1/15th and 1/20th, and a few at 1/10th if I brace better, all hand held at 150mm to 200mm focal length with the 70-200 F4 IS, its almost humanly impossible to do so due to our heart beat and pulse and body movement, unless u are Robocop:)

I have gotten many shots at slow shutter speed to draw in more light, such as with flash for more ambient lighting behind the subject, or low light situations - IS is invaluable to my kind of work in wedding, commercial, fashion and travel photography.

Just spend 500 more and get it and be over and done with instead of selling the non IS and buying the IS later, I dont see the logic in that. You can learn on both lenses the same - IS can be turned off with a flick of a switch to turn into a non IS lens, naturally.

wow 1/15 at 200m so IS did help or not ?

JM Tran
18-10-2010, 5:52pm
wow 1/15 at 200m so IS did help or not ?

of course it did, thats why I wrote it, but it really depends on the user and other variables and condition.

carrg1954
18-10-2010, 9:16pm
Yes it is.
If you buy the non IS now and decide later to go with the IS, then expect to take a 20-25% hit when you sell it. The IS will be dearer again as well.
There will be debate long and hard about which version of the 70-200 is sharper, any of them produce excellent IQ. It comes down to , if you think you are going to shoot low light without a flash, then even the f4 is not for you regardless of IS. The version for you is 2.8, then the non IS is $1450 and the IS (ii) is $2900.
I've had my IS f4 version three years and its is a great lens, and sharp at F4. Some complain that the IS is noisy, yes you can hear it, but I don't know what the fuss is about. The hood though is worse than the 28-70 2.8, though you just need to line it up and its sweet, Canon skimpt on those little red dots and didn't spring for a tripod ring either. How low a shutter speed you can go is more about you and not the lens. You need to accept that the keeper rates always go down when you are outside the 1/(focal length) rule. The IS on the f4 will give you 3 stops, and yes I know someone may come back and say its 4 stops, that's their call though.
Also about the tripod ring, go no name and save the dollars. I'd look at what you currently have with your 55-250, what % of these are 200-250 in focal range , and what are in the 70-200 , this may assist you in the answer if this lens is what you need. I'd also take your 450 along and try them to make sure the balance is ok, as I can't say there. Its your budget and at the end of the day you need to be happy with whatever your pick. We all have a bias, and I dont mean anything by that, other than my opinion is to get the the f4 IS version, someone less who decides the non IS was a better fit will give tha,t while others who go for either of the 2.8 versions. Its important to remember the lens info is in the metadata for us gearheads, everyone else just sees a photo. regards

ZedEx
18-10-2010, 9:28pm
Yes it is.
If you buy the non IS now and decide later to go with the IS, then expect to take a 20-25% hit when you sell it.

Purchase secondhand and this issue generally goes away. The 70-200 f4 non is is already quite cheap, and on the used market it is unlikely to get any cheaper still.

To the OP, I have the f2.8 non is version, which to me is necessary, but for a lot of users this may not be so.

Bercy
18-10-2010, 9:51pm
That's pretty impressive - to get pin sharp shots at 1/15 Tv. I guess on wedding shoots you can hardly do reportage shots with a tripod - please hold that emotionally significant shot whilst I set up my tripod and shutter release. With my current kit a tripod is a must for low light shots. I guess, on relflection and reading Cargg comments above, I'd shell out the additional smackers and get the benefits of the newer technology. Most people are starting to expect razor sharp shots no matter what the state of lux. Good luck.

JM Tran
19-10-2010, 11:01am
I would like to add that an F2.8 lens is not really that ideal for indoors low light if you want to use a 70-200 indoors all the time, a prime such as the much smaller Canon 100mm F2 is a better alternative - cheaper and lighter too, and sharper:)

tmd77
19-10-2010, 3:38pm
thanks for the replies so far guys it's much appreciated!!!

mitgonk
21-10-2010, 10:51am
For what it's worth, I am about to purchase the 70-200 f/4 IS lens as well.
i chose the f/4 version because:

IS is a neccesity for me, as well as weatherproofing. Becuase i would be using this lens for sports during my rugby season (rain), travelling as well as lowish light shots like indoors where IS would help.

the f/4 IS version has 3rd gen IS- apparently 4 stops comp. as well as weather sealing- the same as the mkII 2.8 70-200! though i can't put another 1000 or so bucks down for the 2.8!

Clubmanmc
21-10-2010, 5:31pm
hand holding a 15th can be tricky though, as the subject does need to be still...

i agree but disagree with IS, as the subject doesnt allways understand that i am doing a "slower than usual" shot to get the ambient light into the picture...

M

JM Tran
21-10-2010, 5:34pm
hand holding a 15th can be tricky though, as the subject does need to be still...

i agree but disagree with IS, as the subject doesnt allways understand that i am doing a "slower than usual" shot to get the ambient light into the picture...

M

Only works in a controlled environment Mike:) One can tell the model or subject to remain still but for candid stuff and most things, 1/15th and 1/20th is a bit too slow

thats why I never use the F4 IS indoors, its been F2 and higher ISO and around 1/100th or higher for a while now for wedding photography indoors

TaintedSoul
21-10-2010, 8:19pm
I'm also looking at purchasing this lens. The IS is a little out of my preferred bracket though.

I think the motorsport bug has bitten. Would the the Non-IS be suitable?

Clubmanmc
22-10-2010, 10:11am
Only works in a controlled environment Mike:) One can tell the model or subject to remain still but for candid stuff and most things, 1/15th and 1/20th is a bit too slow

thats why I never use the F4 IS indoors, its been F2 and higher ISO and around 1/100th or higher for a while now for wedding photography indoors

yeah thats what i was trying to point out.. :D all is good!!

have done some wedding stuff with my 100-400 at 1/30th (before i had a 70-200 F2.8) hand held, as the wedding was a little of a disaster, it was really over cast and there was rain intermittant... so we had to shoot when it was fine but by that stage very dark...

shots were good... not great but worth doing...

M

Clubmanmc
22-10-2010, 10:14am
I'm also looking at purchasing this lens. The IS is a little out of my preferred bracket though.

I think the motorsport bug has bitten. Would the the Non-IS be suitable?

better off going to F2.8 to get a faster lens, also gives you the opportunity to use a 1.4x or 2.0x extender that would give you a little more length for a little bit more...

depending on the motorsport and your accesss, 70-200 may be a little too short...

100-400 is quite a good compromise, and has good reach

I have used one for a long time and they work quite well, the IQ is great...

M

JODEAN
22-10-2010, 2:26pm
I also use a 70-200 2.8L is for BMX shots & it does the job quite well. Only down side is by the end of the weekend you know you have had it hanging off the front of you.

Dean.

TaintedSoul
22-10-2010, 6:24pm
depending on the motorsport and your accesss, 70-200 may be a little too short...

Access shouldn't be a problem really. I managed to get some nice shots with my kit 17-85 last weekend (to come). I was right on a slow turn so mostly hovered at about 50mm anyway. Only problem was that I could only take a shot on the turn, anything leading up to or away was pointless.

The 2.8L is way out of my price range unfortunately, IS or not.

JODEAN
23-10-2010, 1:20am
Best advice I was given was buy the best you can afford so you only have to buy once.

Dean.

David
23-10-2010, 1:48am
I have been eyeing of the 2.8 versions of the 70-200mm for a couple of months now and decided it is horses for courses - my main aim will be landscapes which more often than not will involve a tripod so the IS would be waste of the extra dollars for me most of the time. In an ideal world, with the extra weight in the 2.8 version of the Canon 70-200mm IS would be the go..worth waiting till you get the extra dollars to afford the IS ? In the long run as a general guide, yes. Buy once and buy right for you in your situation for your interest area right now is a good principle to adopt. I culled my lenses to suit my particular genre (landscapes) and plan to make more intelligent purchases in the future.

Trecky
23-10-2010, 9:20am
I have the 70-200 f4 non IS as my budget was tight at the time. I have taken some great shots at the Red Bull Air Show with it. It is a fantastic sharp lens. I used a tripod for these, but have since taken some great shots without the tripod. I have got into the habit of taking consecutive shots because I do find hand held when there is a breeze a bit of a challenge. However most of my shots are hand held. I have even had one of my first photo's with this lens, enlarged to 15x11 and framed, I am thrilled. So the price I paid for that lens, I am extremely happy.

midnightexpress1
25-10-2010, 9:33pm
i had the same problem when i got my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II,i was going to get the 70-200 f2.8L but i walked out of the shop with the IS II after playing around with it at the store,ok i payed a lot of money for it but deep down i know i made the right choice.At the moment i got the 550D but some time next year i'll be updating to a full frame and doing a lot of low light shots.

mitgonk
27-10-2010, 2:19pm
Check out www.cameramarket.com.au there's a 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS for sale!!

TaintedSoul
27-10-2010, 10:30pm
Check out www.cameramarket.com.au there's a 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS for sale!!

I sent an email to one of the F4 non-IS listings a little while ago and got not response.

How reliable is this website? What are people's experience? (Probably wrong thread to ask I know).

mitgonk
28-10-2010, 3:16pm
I personally haven't bought from cameramarket before. But they seem quite reputable. Several members have bought gear through them!

midnightexpress1
03-11-2010, 5:48pm
guys is it normal to have a very small movement when this lens(70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II ) is locked to the camera,none of my other lenes have this play.

RYZphoto
04-11-2010, 1:22am
guys is it normal to have a very small movement when this lens(70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II ) is locked to the camera,none of my other lenes have this play.

im interested in the answer to this as well, when my 400 f/5.6 L is attached to my camera body i have about 1mm play either way when i rotate the lens against the body....

schc
06-11-2010, 1:14am
Thanks for a very informing thread, I am about to buy a 2.8 IS.

ricktas
06-11-2010, 11:59am

Some lenses do, some dont' - nothing to worry about

davomate
11-11-2010, 4:26pm
I am very happy with my 70-200mm F4 IS, a terrific zoo lens and for outside events where a tripod would get in the way. Stablisation also helps when making it 280mm with a 1.4 teleconverter. On a 7D body, able to shoot inside sports with the auto ISO going up to 3200. Considered the 2.8 but it's so heavy you could club a bear to death with it. ;)

mitgonk
16-11-2010, 7:50pm
Got my f4 is lens the other week! Love it so far! Mostly do outdoor sports as well as use it as general tele zoom lens!! Light and compact and sharp as a tack!

Roosta
16-11-2010, 8:24pm
Have you got the lens and if so what did you descide.

Some interesting feedback above, horses for courses wins for me, dont buy it because it's cheaper, that's not a good reasoning path to go done. IS is not going to help that much for tripod and or monopod shooting, but if you feel it a necessary item, get it. Plan and simple.

Jodean should invest in a good quality monopod, take the weight off your neck, use the collar, thats what its for...

crum
17-11-2010, 10:59pm
I bought the IS version last week and from the small tinker I've had with it I already love it. Can't wait to get some proper use out of it

Arg
18-11-2010, 6:47pm
If you can afford either, get IS. (If you can't, then don't ask the question.... :D)

IS is one of the great revolutions of modern photography and worth every cent.

Quietguy
02-01-2011, 7:30pm
Best advice I was given was buy the best you can afford so you only have to buy once.

Dean.

Spot on Dean

I got the same advice 50 years ago, but phrased as "buy the best and cry once"

I have also found that generally I rue the purchases I have made by trying to buy cheap, instead of what I really needed or wanted

koputai
05-01-2011, 11:42am
Another vote here for the IS version. It saves a lot of shots in lower light situations.

Cheers,
Jason.

HotRod
22-01-2011, 11:21am
Well i was in the same boat what to get you can read and read but i get more confused and i only wont to buy one lens that will last so I’m going for 70-200f/2.8 is ll and hope it won’t take me to long to get it .
I love the surf, sport and the outdoors and see this lens as the best for my needs i just hope they don’t bring out the next model before i get it :th3:

Bennymiata
24-01-2011, 4:47pm
To me, there is nothing more frustrating than taking blurry shots.
I know the IS does cost considerably more, but unless you are going to use it mostly on a tripod, or monopod, I'll always save my pennies and buy a lens with IS, if it is available.

The main reason I bought a 24-105L IS F4 was for the IS, otherwise I would have bought a 24-70 F2.8 non IS lens.
While the 2.8 is certainly faster, with IS and taking shots hand held, you can get better and less shaky shots at F4 with IS in low light, than you can at 2.8 without IS.

Just my 2c worth, and please let me know if you disagree.

pollen
27-01-2011, 1:28am
Definitely the IS version

The prices have come down significantly, now the price of the IS version is similar to the non IS a few years ago

Kerro
27-01-2011, 7:41am
I have the 70-200 F4 L IS and am more than happy with it. I use it as my do all lens when I'm away
working in the Pilbara. Great for BIF shots.