PDA

View Full Version : Has any one had to make this choice?

jamie87
17-10-2010, 11:39am
Hey there currently I have a 550d body only and 50mm f1.8 lens.
I'm currently considering buying either a 10-20mm sigma or 17-70mm sigma lens. I like the opportunitys both will give me but can only afford one right now.
Was just wondering if anyone has had to make the same desision before and which way did you choose?

ricktas
17-10-2010, 12:12pm
What do you like to photograph? When we know what genre you are into, we can advise further.

Xenedis
17-10-2010, 12:15pm
As Rick said, it depends on what you shoot.

If you like landscapes, the wider lens would be the choice. If you shoot more general-purpose subject matter and want longer reach, the longer lens is the choice.

It comes down to what subjects you shoot mostly now.

zollo
17-10-2010, 12:16pm
without knowing what you want to shoot - I would say your 50mm + legs should cover an acceptable portion of 17-70, so i would go 10-20:)

dulvariprestige
17-10-2010, 12:18pm
Yep, I went through the exact same delima last year, I went the 17-70 first, much more versatile, if I had of gone the other way, I would have missed way more opportunities.

stevemack
17-10-2010, 12:23pm
Go the 17-70.I am mainly a landscape photographer but this lens is very versatile i love it.

steve.

Scotty72
17-10-2010, 12:29pm
Prob best (but hey, I could be wrong), to go the mid-zoom at first. Once you work out your style and prefered matter, then you can go the wide or telephoto (zooms or primes).

Having said that, if you know you want to do landscapes or rooms full of people (and don't feel shy about getting in REAL close) - go the wide.

dulvariprestige
17-10-2010, 12:58pm
If you do go the 17-70, it'd be worth spending the extra and getting the HSM version.

jamie87
18-10-2010, 1:38am
Im equal part landscape photographer and general everyday stuff. I was leaning more towards the 10-20mm but after some thought I am now leaning more towards the 17-70mm because it would give me everyday use.

ricktas
18-10-2010, 6:24am
OK. the 17-70 will give you a reasonably wide result on a cropped sensor DSLR, so with your usage in mind, I would say the 17-70 as well. Now something to think about. Long term, what are your plans, do you have some lens goals to fit in with the 17-70. Don't just look at what you want now, consider what you might want into the future, and make sure the 17-70 fits into that without becoming obsolete. What I mean is that as your photography progresses, you may decide on a 10-22mm, thus doubling up on your 17-22 range. Consider a long term lens plan now, it could save you money in the longer term.

LJG
18-10-2010, 8:38am
Good advice from Rick. Whilst the 17-70mm is a great general lens I went Canon 10-22mm for landscape. It really is a good landscape lens. I also have a Canon 50mm f1.8 as a midrange prime. For the price the nifty fifty really is a must have piece of kit for any Canon owner.

I also have a 28-135mm Canon as a walkaround lens. I use it to chase my grandson around the place and just general photography, but the Canon 24-105mm is a better choice with higher IQ for that range.

Doubling up on focal length can be a bit of a problem. You then find yourself with lenses that you don't tend to use much, so think carefully otherwise you may be like a lot of us and end up scratching your head wondering why you wasted the money buying a particular lens.

RaoulIsidro
18-10-2010, 8:50am
I would rather have it as: "lens follows function", rather than a lens dictating what one would do.
There is much more satisfaction acquiring a lens because you were so limited before that acquisition, rather than having a new lens dictate what you should do.

Roosta
18-10-2010, 10:21am
If you are shoting some landscape and want the general purpose use, I went through this and came out with the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 blah blah:th3:, it's a ball tearer of a lens and on my 50D 1.6 crop, it suits it to a tea.

Bear in mind that if you get a lens thats designed for Full Frame, you will have to add your crop factor to it.

If you have a good shop near you, most carry a couple of different focal lenghts, so try them out. Walk outside (with their permission) and snap away, digital is cheap.

Find what works for you. And like Rick said. Buy what is going to get used, if you upgrade bodies at a later date, will that come into play. Some of the better lens aren't cheap, but can be well worth the expense.

Happy hunting, Hope this shedded some light, with out more confusion on lens focal range. :D