PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm interested in Canon 7D and need help

Lynnie
16-10-2010, 3:23pm
I am thinking of an upgrade and would lkie to know other peoples experiance with this camera?

etherial
16-10-2010, 4:16pm
Brilliant Camera, plenty of opinions already on the site...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?42361-Review-of-Canon-7D&p=526596
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?53503-7D&p=544425
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?61987-Just-Bought-a-7D&p=629522

bigbikes
16-10-2010, 4:56pm
Hi Lynnie.
Believe me you wouldn't be disappointed. Its takes a bit of getting used to, but then its all good.
Have a look at these.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167&fromTips=1

ricktas
16-10-2010, 5:01pm
what camera are you using now, and what will a 7D do that makes your photos any better than the ones you already take? When you can answer that with something other than "i want a better camera" or similar, you will be ready to upgrade. So tell us, why do you need to upgrade and how will the 7D make your photos better?

By the way, welcome to AP. Hope we get to see some of your photos soon.

RaoulIsidro
16-10-2010, 10:25pm
Coming from a Canon 400D into a 7D is certainly a good upgrade for you. You will notice why there is a price difference when you check out the controls and its capabilty, compared to your existing camera. Right now, it is the top of the line model from Canon with the cropped 1.6x sensor size. Check out and read the links suggested and Google as much as you can about this model. Your existing Tamron glass probably won't do justice when combined with the 7D and you need to look into getting the one best suited to your new camera's superb capabilites. ;)

Riverlander
16-10-2010, 10:49pm
The Canon 7D is a fabulous camera and does take some time to "set up" properly for different types of work.
I agree that if you buy one, you will have to spend some money on "new" glass, and maybe on some serious software - Photoshop, maybe a sharpening program, etc

Scotty72
17-10-2010, 1:38am
Well, U wont be disappointed in it.

It's up to you whether the 7d or some new glass is the go.

But, it is a brillant camera.

jamie87
17-10-2010, 1:51am
7D is definately a very capable camera and I have used it on a few occations. If the 400d is the camera your upgradng from what assortment of lens' have you compiled?

Clubmanmc
21-10-2010, 5:43pm
another thumbs up for the 7D

i bought mine a year ago now and it was purchased with out a play with it, and have not looked back... it is a very very handy tool indeed.

M

crum
21-10-2010, 7:24pm
The Canon 7D is a fabulous camera and does take some time to "set up" properly for different types of work.
I agree that if you buy one, you will have to spend some money on "new" glass, and maybe on some serious software - Photoshop, maybe a sharpening program, etc

I purchased a 7D with the 15-85mm lens a couple of weels back and have not been able to take a single photo that I'm happy with. To be honest I think they are probably the same standard which my 400D with the kit lenses on full auto mode took.

What are the general things which need tweaking in the camera to set it up properly? Also which is the best focus mode to be using? I've played round with all of them and haven't really had much luck so far. I mostly do outdoor landscape and motorsport photography.

Other than that its a great camera. The feel of it over to 400D isn't comparable

jbee
21-10-2010, 7:58pm
Hi Crum

You might find this thread of mine useful

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?56693-Users-Guide-to-the-Canon-7D-short-review&highlight=short+review

Cheers - john

Art Vandelay
21-10-2010, 7:58pm
What are the general things which need tweaking in the camera to set it up properly? Also which is the best focus mode to be using?

There's no real 'best' mode, it's more like which mode suits what your shooting.

Those canon videos linked above are very good at showing the differences.

Other than that, post up some pics and you'll get some more specific help.

crum
21-10-2010, 10:14pm
Cheers for the replies. I did actually see that dvd on google. I think I might bite the bullet and purchase one.

I'm heading out to the drags on the weekend so I'll post some pics up for CC

crum
21-10-2010, 11:22pm
Am I right in saying I should have a reasonable amount of sharpness straight from the camera on jpeg form before any PP is done?

ricktas
22-10-2010, 7:10am
Not sure about the purpose of this thread from the thread starter. They haven't been back on AP, since about 15 minutes after creating this thread. Hope the information is useful to others.:confused013

Clubmanmc
22-10-2010, 10:01am
Am I right in saying I should have a reasonable amount of sharpness straight from the camera on jpeg form before any PP is done?

depends on what your doing,

send me a few sample shots of the ones your not happy with and iill pick them apart to see what and why

mike@photomcp.com

one or two full size jpgs, will be ok

:D

M

crum
22-10-2010, 3:28pm
Cheers Clubmanmc. I'll send through a couple tomorrow night after I get home from the track

Clubmanmc
22-10-2010, 5:07pm
no problems... send them and let me know what your most dissapointed by

M

peterking
22-10-2010, 11:51pm
I now have two of them and am very happy. They are a a very fast camera.

kettels
23-10-2010, 1:20pm
Hey guys,
don't mean to take over the thread (delete this if im in the wrong) but i didn't see the point in starting a new one for a pretty similar question. I'm looking at buying a new DSLR and Teds is having 10% off canons (plus %10 when my parents head to hong kong in a week). I was just wondering how good it is (the 7d)for landscape, architecture photos. I mainly take photos whilst travelling which usually revolves around landscapes and everyone says the 5d is much better for that. I'll be looking to keep the camera for 4-5 years and looking to take photography more seriously. I travel fairly often all round the world, should i shell out the extra or will the 7d be fine, money isn't the issue more whether it is worth the extra considering im not a pro.

sorry again for thread stealing

atky
23-10-2010, 8:00pm
Ive got both. The 5d 2 has better IQ not significantly, is better for wide stuf and when you have time to take time over what you are doing.
The 7d has better auto focus has good IQ, better long (cropped sensor) has inbuilt flash good for fill some times.
Both cameras are better than me I don't think you could go wrong with either, that said when you get it all rite the images from a 5d are just so good.

Tonym
24-10-2010, 12:04am
I considered the 7D when upgrading from my 350D but after a lot of research and talking to a few people that had more experience than me I was a bit unsure if my wife who also uses the camera and myself would be able to handle the 7D so I decided to go with a 50D and have not been dissapointed. I wasnt keen on the video capability of the 7D and the 50d was a lot cheaper and is a full size camera with most of the features found on the "pro" cameras. It is in runout now but it is still available at less than half the original rrp. and the wife loves it also.

keith-killer
24-10-2010, 11:47am
Thanks to the people above posting the extra links etc.

i have barely had time over the past 18 months to take too many photos with my SLR (a bit hard carrying it and the baby at the same time) but look to be getting back into it.

I too am upgrading from my 400D, and was thinking of doing so 18 months ago... ran out of time. So now I look at Canon's line up and of course think 50D or 7D. It seems in Australia and elsewhere the 7D is more expensive than the 50D, which seems natural.

However here in Tokyo I can get the 7D cheaper than the 50D! What is up with that? Doesn't make sense to me. I have not read anywhere that there is a major problem with 7Ds that is making people not buy them. I am off to Singapore in a week, but so far online have not found a 7D cheaper there than in Japan.

Anyway... I am sitting here at the PC thinking about to clicking the "buy" button to get a 7D and maybe a long Sigma zoom, up to 500mm, hmmm.

Anyway, once again thanks to all the links and member feedback on cameras. Certainly helps a lot.

Clubmanmc
26-10-2010, 2:39pm
I considered the 7D when upgrading from my 350D but after a lot of research and talking to a few people that had more experience than me I was a bit unsure if my wife who also uses the camera and myself would be able to handle the 7D so I decided to go with a 50D and have not been dissapointed. I wasnt keen on the video capability of the 7D and the 50d was a lot cheaper and is a full size camera with most of the features found on the "pro" cameras. It is in runout now but it is still available at less than half the original rrp. and the wife loves it also.

50D is not full size?? unless your talking about physical size, in which case it is still small compared to a "real" 1D or a gripped body...

M

kipp
28-10-2010, 3:19pm
i purchased the 7d a couple of months ago and are so far very impressed. im just an weekend hack, but ive found that using a custom white balance seems to have a very large impact on the outcome with this camera.

petercee
29-10-2010, 1:14am
For XXD users, such as 400D, 450D, etc, stepping up the 7D can expose problems with technique. For most Canon users, with the exception of perhaps the 5DMkII and pro models, the 7D is a whole new ball game.

Some of the real pluses of the 7D include:

fast accurate autofocus using 19 autfocus points
larger (100%) viewfinder
pop-up flash offers wireless remote triggering of external flashes (a la Nikon)
video photography that is the envy of all other DSLRs

Whichever way you look at it the 7D is dollar-for-dollar one of Canon's best.

darkmerlin
31-10-2010, 12:18am
Be prepared to read/study how to set up the 7D for the type of photos you'll be taking.
Like anything high tech it helps if you read the manual as my first shots were all crap ..... (thought I could just pick it up and figure it out but no ... not this camera) after I read the manual it all good :D
I got my 7D for indoor ice hockey shots so for me the camera was a no brainer, it was an easy pick between the 50D and 7D.
My brother brought the 50D for outdoor gokart racing shots and he loves it.
It's all about what you will be mainly using it for.

Kerro
31-10-2010, 12:49am
Bought mine 2 days ago and am having heaps of fun with it.