PDA

View Full Version : macro

bigfish
14-10-2010, 4:29pm
Is the macro lens only good for up close or can it also be used to take a landscape shot?

NikonUser
14-10-2010, 4:58pm
A macro lens can be used to take a landscape (or any other) shot.

I have read that the Nikkor micro 60mm 2.8 AF-D lens isn't so good at longer focal distances, but I know my Sigma 180mm macro will take a good shot at whatever focal length.

The specialized Canon MP-E 65mm macro won't focus to infinity, but that is not your average macro lens

Paul

Schmenz
14-10-2010, 5:44pm
i know the canon 100m macro is meant to be good for portraits too, so i dont see why not. its not wide in any sense, but im sure the photos would still be ok.

im going out to take some pics so ill post some when i get back

ZedEx
14-10-2010, 9:30pm
also keep in mind that a macro filter attached to the front of your lens won't allow focusing to infinity.
Often, actual macro lenses will have focus limiter switches. One setting allows focus between the closest focus distance and infinity, and the other is say a bit less than that to infinity, which is the one you'd want to use for landscapes (faster, less hunting)

tomee
18-10-2010, 4:39pm
i know the canon 100m macro is meant to be good for portraits too, so i dont see why not. its not wide in any sense, but im sure the photos would still be ok.

im going out to take some pics so ill post some when i get back

i have that lens and love it for close up work.
i have yet to try it for portraits.

strictfunctor
10-11-2010, 10:46pm
Most lenses marked "macro" will focus on objects close enough so that the image on the sensor is as large as the object itself, that is with 1:1 magnification. Of course the photo will be viewed on a print or screen much larger than the sensor. Such lenses, with specialty exceptions, can also focus out to infinity, so they double as general purpose primes, and as primes are cheaper to make with fast maximum apertures. Fast primes with focal lengths which are flattering, that is normal or longer, make good portrait lenses. The canon 100mm macro is a great example. So is the EFS 60mm macro on a crop body.

However the OP, @bigfish, asks about whether they are good for landscapes. The answer is almost yes, because they can focus to infinity, but not really because for landscapes a wide-angle lens will capture more of a big vista and with more depth of field. Good landscape shots typically have a foreground, middle ground and a background, all in near focus. What a good macro lens is good at is just the opposite.

belasor
26-11-2010, 5:35pm
@strictfunctor, well explained. I had been thinking the same questions. Thanks a lot.

Red
29-11-2010, 3:31am
EFS 60mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitchdonovan/4401298795/

Has a very narrow depth of field at closer range which expands to infinity further out. Its an interesting lens to experiment with. Portraits would look great, consistent and have soft feathering. The only issue is to zoom in or out you have to move the whole camera or subject. I have used that lens for personal portraits and the like and it produces beautiful images.

Wanderer
12-12-2010, 11:55pm
Has anyone got examples of portraits or other 'non-macro' photos taken with a 100mm macro lens? I am thinking of getting a canon 100mm macro lens, but would appreciate some examples of what it can do outside of macro (and even better if you have the eg's taken on a crop body camera!).
Thanks.

tanz
13-12-2010, 1:56pm
Has anyone got examples of portraits or other 'non-macro' photos taken with a 100mm macro lens? I am thinking of getting a canon 100mm macro lens, but would appreciate some examples of what it can do outside of macro (and even better if you have the eg's taken on a crop body camera!).
Thanks.

There are a couple of examples in this thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?66663-EF100mm-Macro-How-do-you-find-it

Wanderer
13-12-2010, 5:17pm
Cool- thanks for that Tania. Now trying to decide between the L IS one and the non-L one!