PDA

View Full Version : ebay muslin backdrops ?

ricstew
14-10-2010, 6:23am
Has anyone bought one? What are they like? I was thinking of getting a black backdrop but wondered if the fabric is really flimsy and sheer?
Any other recommendations?
cheers
Jan

ricktas
14-10-2010, 6:42am
Depends on who you buy from. Some Ebay sellers are good value for money, and others are just shonky. There is one in Melbourne I would steer clear of (cant recall his ebay name at present), but he sells second hand studio stuff, as new. I know several people who have had run-ins with him.

I @ M
14-10-2010, 6:47am
How large a backdrop do you want?

Depending on the size there are advantages and disadvantages of varying materials over others.

Black muslin is good as a backdrop when you don't want light reflected and there are several shops both on and off ebay that sell decent quality ones.

ricstew
14-10-2010, 6:50am
I think I want a 3m x 6m in order for it to be on the floor...........but it will have a window behind it that I can only partly block off.........if I hang a white sheet behind the black I should be able to block of the light from the window...........I want to do some maternity shots for a friend..:) I am also looking at ##############? Are they decent?

I @ M
14-10-2010, 7:03am
A 3x6m is a large backdrop, we have one, it is good for the intended use ---- but ---- even a brand new one fresh from the package will have and show every crease and crinkle. They are NOT easy to iron, we have ironed two. If you are prepared to spend a lot of time post processing the shots you may be able to "cure" imperfections in the flooring or simply go for the "crinkled" look.

If you can stop a lot of the light from the window and shoot on a dull day the avergae good quality muslin backdrop should be ok.

Why not shoot at night or at least late evening?

ricktas
14-10-2010, 7:04am
I am also looking at ##############? Are they decent?

BINGO!, There is that name..see my first post! :D Also for info, the owner of that store is banned from Ausphotography for repeatedly trying to promote his store and products, but refusing to join our advertisers program. Seems he thinks he has the right to advertise without paying for it, when others gladly pay, which helps keep AP free for members.

milesy
14-10-2010, 7:14am
I have actually found Image Melbourne to be pretty decent to deal with - i went to the shop not through ebay, but overall i would recommend him, i have no idea what Ricks dealings with him have been though

I @ M
14-10-2010, 7:24am
milesy, you were lucky.

In my one and only dealing with him I bought a "new" muslin backdrop. It turned up with the rod pocket sewn on the side instead of the end and had obviously been sold and returned previously as it was filthy.

Needless to say, a full refund was sought and eventually obtained from Leo, once bitten twice shy as they say.

milesy
14-10-2010, 7:45am
fair enough........i hadnt dealt with him a lot but the dealings i had there were no problems. Im surprised he would do that sort of crap really as word of mouth travels fast and his prices are ok but not world shattering

OzzieTraveller
14-10-2010, 7:46am
G'day Jan

Just to confuse the issue ...

I went to my local Spotlight habidashery? store & bought 4x QBed black cotton sheets for $60 all up
Sheets are 'normal' cotton stuff with the usual 10cm hem at the 'top' end - I have unpicked those top edges so that I can draw a string or a rod thru them for hanging
If I can't hang via a rod/string, I use upholstry Pins [big, oversize drawing pins] to hold them up
I usually use 2x of them to create a 4m wide x 2.4m vertical backdrop

ANY light behind them [as with all cloth materials] will show through, so I often have to have 2 thicknesses

I do not try to draw them tight - I leave them hanging loose like curtains at home, so that there are 'vertical ripples' in the background, and they do not seem to intrude as they are usually sufficiently oof to cause any bother

Regards, Phil

BLWNHR
14-10-2010, 9:32am
I am also looking at ##############? Are they decent?

Definitely. I bought the 3x6 black backdrop off them, plus stands, about 12 months ago. I photographed 180 couples + extras in one night and the whole thing stood up to it no worries. I&M is right though, they are a right pain to iron!

If I was buying another one I would by grey for this reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGn4VzEOlU)

I also own ImageMelbounre light-stands, clams and umbrellas and they are all of very good quality. When over in Melbourne in June I called in there to have a chat and they are more than willing to help out in any way they can.

oldfart
14-10-2010, 1:13pm
I have actually found Image Melbourne to be pretty decent to deal with - i went to the shop not through ebay, but overall i would recommend him, i have no idea what Ricks dealings with him have been though

I'm the same, have dealt with a few times with zero problems (I used ebay store)

ricstew
14-10-2010, 6:45pm
Holy moley I wasnt gonna iron the thing!:eek: Ya get one of those elcheapo steam doovers, hang the drop up and steam it! The wrinkles will just drop out! I have an industrial steam iron that does it but the little steamers that are used in dress shops are good for this sort of thing.......fleabay has them for about $30.......:th3:
My theory is....... close the wonky vertical drapes, pull down the outside awning ( it covers the window ) and duct tape some dark fabric over the window behind the drop. That should kill any extra light.
I looked at sheets today! but they work out dearer than buying a muslin......:( I dont have access to Spotlight...nearest one is 2 hours away and I have had issues buying over the phone from them. I do have some french navy cotton velvet that I may try with but I doubt it will be wide enough or long enough to cover the floor/carpet.
Ok so onto paper? How heavy is a roll? Would it cost a million dollars to get it posted/couriered? Will my brackets on the wall hold it up? I dont know if I want to invest a huge amount yet........I may hate taking pictures of people!
cheers
Jan

one of these gadgets.........http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Multi-Function-Steam-Cleaner-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-/330480533488?pt=AU_Housekeeping&hash=item4cf22cbff0

kiwi
14-10-2010, 7:53pm
A roll is very heavy and you need a lot of space really, if yiu cam imagine a two car garage I just have enough room In mine to set up a roll

Lani
14-10-2010, 9:21pm
Holy moley I wasnt gonna iron the thing!:eek: Ya get one of those elcheapo steam doovers, hang the drop up and steam it! The wrinkles will just drop out! I have an industrial steam iron that does it but the little steamers that are used in dress shops are good for this sort of thing.......fleabay has them for about $30.......:th3:

Not quite that easy, I have a powerful steam station iron and it still struggles at times, cotton is a real b*tch of a material, especially in that size. ;)

JM Tran
14-10-2010, 9:34pm
back when I first started out in photography working as a portrait photographer for a company, we used to get rid of creases easily by spraying a light mist of water over the assembled backdrop - im not sure what material that was though, or if it was cotton

ricstew
14-10-2010, 10:05pm
Yes I agree you do need to be patient with it Lani but it beats ironing. My steamer generates way more than a domestic model....but i gotta say the handpiece is way heavier too!.....a light spray of water helps as well.
Just as well I like the rustic look :)

ricstew
14-10-2010, 10:10pm
I had a feeling that was the case Kiwi........I would have the space but I dont think the wall studs would be in the correct position to carry the weight......so I have bought a muslin......I will see how it goes ;) I allready have a way to hang it......