PDA

View Full Version : Flash Tranmitter thingies - Which one

Rattus79
13-10-2010, 5:26pm
Hey Pentaxians,

I'm wondering what recivers/transmitters you guys are using out there.

I got a set of RF-602's (nikon mount) and I get all sorts of miss fires, black banding problems, black frames, frames where the flash goes off, but completely out of sync (even at 1/125th and less) I've found that using trailing curatin sync helps (a little)

It's been most annoying. Some days it works just fine with maybe 1 or 2 miss fires and then the next day will be all over the place with 10 or more shots in a row not working and then a couple that will. (you can understand my annoyance?)

Ps, I'm on a k10d with 2 flashes (yn 462 and a sigma 530 dg super) but I've found that I'm better off using 1 to trigger the other optically.

So I pose the question, what systems are working for you and what's your max sync?

Ozzi Paul
13-10-2010, 11:31pm
I am waiting on a set of the RF 602s myself, but are getting the Canon version because I had read and was told that they work better on the Pentax and don't have the misfires like you are getting with the Nikon version, will find out soon I guess. I will be using them on a K20D & with a Metz 48 flash. Have you tried holding in the button on the transmitter while you are taking the shot, that seems to fix some of the problems with the shutter curtain shadow at 1/160 & 1/180 so may also help with the misfires but I'm not sure so it may be worth a try. Hopefully the Canon version don't do it.

maccaroneski
14-10-2010, 10:37am
I have the Cactus V4s, and they haven't missed a beat. I mostly shoot at 1/200th (I have a Nikon D90 and that's the max sync speed).

Rattus79
14-10-2010, 10:54am
I am waiting on a set of the RF 602s myself, but are getting the Canon version because I had read and was told that they work better on the Pentax and don't have the misfires like you are getting with the Nikon version, will find out soon I guess. I will be using them on a K20D & with a Metz 48 flash. Have you tried holding in the button on the transmitter while you are taking the shot, that seems to fix some of the problems with the shutter curtain shadow at 1/160 & 1/180 so may also help with the misfires but I'm not sure so it may be worth a try. Hopefully the Canon version don't do it.

Which is funny because the canon version has a completley different pin configuration then the pentax. Nikon's is the same, but had different pin assignments.
The Canon Version, however has the same 2.5mm jack for remote shutter, so no dodgying to get that to fire.

Ozzi Paul
14-10-2010, 3:10pm
They arrived this morning and work well. The Rx units have hot shoe the same layout as the Pentax although there all the same no matter what version of the Tx you get & the Tx unit has 5 pins. It works well up to 1/125 & then I have to hold the button on the Tx in to get 1/160 & 1/180 shots without the shutter curtain shadow. Thats ok though.

ricstew
16-10-2010, 9:16am
I got the cannon version ( to use with 2 x sb28's ) on Pentax........worked well untill 1 reciever died :(

KevPride
16-10-2010, 2:28pm
I've got Phottix ASTER - which were quite cheap & they have worked quite successfully - although I don't use them daily. The beauty is I can use them wirelessly or with the built in light sensor. They are well built & better than the V4 I had used previously.

Max sync is 180.

Wizofoz
20-10-2010, 3:44pm
I use Twin link T2RxD receiver transmitters. these work very well with my K-7. No misfires as yet, I have used them for well over a year without mishap.

PROtog
29-10-2010, 10:41am
Hey Pentaxians,

I'm wondering what recivers/transmitters you guys are using out there.

I got a set of RF-602's (nikon mount) .... I'm on a k10d with 2 flashes (yn 462 and a sigma 530 dg super)

We have a customer buy the RF602N (Nikon version) for his K10D. His camera was fine, but his wife's K10D had the sort of issues you are having. We swapped the RF602N for the RF602C (Canon version) and the problems went away. Perhaps ask your supplier to swap them for you?

ploveday
29-10-2010, 3:39pm
I use the Elinchrom Skyport remotes, and I've yet to have any problem with those with any of my cameras or flashes.

- Peter

Rattus79
11-11-2010, 4:38pm
OK!!! I have the official solution to the rf-602 nikon transmitter issues!!!

All I've done is tape up all the contacts bar the center and outside contacts. the green light never comes on, but it syncs to 1/160'th every time and with the button tweak you can get 1/180th every time too. No mis fires, no messing up or around.

Now i can use my flashes in public without being ashamed or looking un professional (even though i am!)